Wonder Woman (modern-day TV reboot) - News/Discussion/Speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wonder Woman (modern-day TV reboot) - News/Discussion/Speculation

Wonder Woman is heading back to the screen but instead of flying to movie theatres, the Amazon princess is returning to television. Warner Bros. Television is developing a modern-day reboot of the classic DC comic book heroine and is lassoing an unlikely talent to potentially write and produce the superhero project: David E. Kelley, the showrunner behind legal dramas such as “Ally McBeal,” "Boston Legal" and "The Practice."

The development comes after nearly a decade of attempts by Warner Bros. and producer Joel Silver to launch a big-screen version. Actresses ranging from Angelina Jolie to Beyonce Knowles to Megan Fox have thrown their hat in the ring for the starring role at one time or another.

In 2005, Warner Bros. announced Joss Whedon would write and direct the film adaptation. But Whedon said he never ended up being able to finish the draft, and two years later left the project (he's back in the superhero world, though, prepping "The Avengers" for a winter shoot)."They just didn't like my take," Whedon said at the time. "It's pretty simple."

Any new "Wonder Woman" won't likely have an easy road to the small screen either. Though the 1975-79 TV series starring Lynda Carter remains the most memorable version of the character in pop culture, major networks have struggled to make female-driven action series work beyond superhero shows work beyond NBC's "Heroes." One short-lived title, NBC's "Bionic Woman," which was likewise best known for its 1970s TV version, and could haunt attempts to get a series launch.

But if any place exists for a female-driven superhero series, it would be in TV land not film. While movies like “Daredevil” spin-off “Elektra,” starring Jennifer Garner, bombed on the big screen, the small-screen has been a more than willing home to “Buffy the Vampire Slayer,” a character which first failed as a movie, and “Alias,” the spy series which starred Garner. Warner Bros. had no comment.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2010/10/won...#ixzz11BvPruyl

Random piece of info Lynda Carter was in Slayer with Alexis Cruz (Skaara).

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
    "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
    a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

David E Kelly is doing something other than a law show? i may actually check this out Boston Legal was funny
      Last Movie Watched
      X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
      Life is Strange

Comment

He did Boston Public, too.

I don't like the way this looks. WWII? A writer/producer who has no experience with the genre? We might end up with another Smallville. What'll they call it? They can't call it Wonder Woman. That'd scare away casual viewers... Call it 'Pearl Harbour'!

*groan*
        sigpic
        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Wonder Woman Returning to TV As Series Written and Produced By David E. Kelley

By NELLIE ANDREEVA | Friday October 1, 2010 @ 3:00pm PDT

This has to be the highest-profile effort to bring Wonder Woman to television: One of TV's best-known creators, The Practice's David E. Kelley, has come on board to write and produce a new series project about the female superhero. The project, from Warner Bros Television where Kelley is based, and Warner Bros' DC Entertainment, will be taken out to the networks shortly. Kelley, who has created several female centered shows like Ally McBeal, has wanted to tackle a contemporary take on the World War II-era Amazon. He recently met with the DC team who also have been looking for ways to launch a new Wonder Woman TV franchise.

The comic book Wonder Woman character has evolved significantly since she first appeared in a 1941 issue of All Star Comics and recently underwent a controversial makeover. Details on Kelley's TV series are being kept under wraps, and it is not clear if the new Wonder Woman aka Diana Prince will be the old familiar Wonder Woman or the redesigned reboot announced with great fanfare this year by DC Comics Co-Publisher Jim Lee that looks like she's ready for Goth Day at the Galleria. (DC Comics Has Ruined Wonder Woman!) Or whether she'll keep her signature powers and weapons, including her Lasso of Truth, her indestructible bracelets, her tiara and her invisible airplane.

Wonder Woman has presented a challenge both for feature and TV creators. That's probably because she is the most famous female superhero in the testosterone-dominated comic world. And because she also is a big feminist icon. The most successful screen adaptation of the Wonder Woman comic books was the TV series The New Adventures of Wonder Woman starring Lynda Carter in the title role, which aired from 1975-1979, first on ABC and then on CBS. Carter has since become synonymous with the character. That will certainly present a challenge in casting the role if the project goes to pilot.

On the feature side, a Wonder Woman film has been in development hell for a decade at Warner Bros, with Joss Whedon at one point attached to write and direct for producer Joel Silver. In May, Warner chairman and CEO Barry Meyer confirmed that a new Wonder Woman feature is in development. There has been a concerted effort on part of Time Warner lately to better mine the DC properties across different platforms. The film division is expected to announce a slate of DC movies by the end of the year that would probably include Wonder Woman.

Warner Bros TV has brought DC characters to the small screen before: most recently with the CW's Superman-themed Smallville, which is in its 10th and final season, and Fox's Human Target, which returned for a second season. A notable recent effort to launch a new Wonder Woman series came a decade ago with Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman creator Deborah Joy LeVine as the writer.

Source: Deadline
          sigpic

Comment

Wonder Woman...
            The series was one of my favourites when I was younger than I am now. Lynda Carter was one of my first 'Star' crushes...

The DC animated 'origin' story is a good starting point for a live action movie. Which has already been said in this thread.
            But as to who I would have playing Diana, there are so many I couldn't list them here.
            As for someone to play he mother Hippolyta... I think Lynda Carter would be ideal. Plus it would play a little homage to the fans.

I hope a movie is made.

ttyl
            Starfist
            "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
            Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
            Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
            Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
            I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
            To thy own self... Be true
            May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
              Wonder Woman...
              The series was one of my favourites when I was younger than I am now. Lynda Carter was one of my first 'Star' crushes...

The DC animated 'origin' story is a good starting point for a live action movie. Which has already been said in this thread.
              But as to who I would have playing Diana, there are so many I couldn't list them here.
              As for someone to play he mother Hippolyta... I think Lynda Carter would be ideal. Plus it would play a little homage to the fans.

I hope a movie is made.

ttyl
              Starfist
              'Wonder Woman' Casting Ideas: Readers Weigh In
              by Chris Harnick, posted Oct 4th 2010 6:00PM

The second after the 'Wonder Woman' reboot news broke, a casting fervor began.

Who will wield the Golden Lasso of Truth? That's been the hot topic around our watercooler and while we all have favorites -- I'd prefer an unknown actress -- we took to you, loyal readers, to cast Diana, the Amazon princess.

So, who did you guys nominate? Check out the list below!

Summer Glau, the butt-kicking 'Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles' and 'Firefly' alumna got more than one nomination from you, dear readers.

"Who should be the new Wonder Woman? Summer Glau. Who should be in every show? Summer Glau," @dxferris said on Twitter. And Becky P. said, "Summer Glau!!! ♥ her " on our Facebook page.

Also topping the list? 'Lost' star Evangeline Lilly. Alex H. and Erin D. both suggested the former castaway for the role.

The nominations continued from the outrageous -- yes, I'm talking about your self-nomination, Aunt Annie -- to the obvious. @Msmorev suggested Rachel Bilson on Twitter, and after her jaw-dropping appearance in the Wonder Woman outfit on 'The O.C.' we're sure she'll top many fan lists.

Read on for the other nominations ...

"Evangeline Lilly or Sophia Bush." -- Erin D.

"I feel Katy Perry would make an excellent Wonder Woman." -- Gage H.

"Eliza Dushku or me!" -- Loretta D.

"Hayden Panettiere, only because we miss her." -- Gerald B.

"Some statuesque busty unknown with some acting potential." -- Chris R.

"Daisy Betts from 'Persons Unknown.'" -- @danowen79.

"Olivia Wilde!" -- Heather C.

"Lena Headey!" -- Leo L.

"Beyonce Knowles." -- Derek F.

"['My Big Fat Greek Wedding' star] Nia Vardalos." -- @KevinS3928

"Jennifer Garner or Michelle Trachtenberg!! Or Scarlett Johansson." -- Christopher R.

A lot of valid, plausible suggestions from our Twitter and Facebook fans. Of course, Lynda Carter must be involved, perhaps David E. Kelley could tap the iconic actress as Wonder Woman's mother, Queen Hippolyta. In the comics, Hippolyta once donned the famous costume and served as Wonder Woman herself. Think of the flashbacks!

I'd read somewhere that Lynda Carter had expressed an interest in playing Hippolyta in either a movie or new TV series. I've been trying to find that article, but I've not had any luck.

Who would you guys like to play WW in the upcoming TV series?
              sigpic

Comment

I'd love to see Bridget Regan as Wonder Woman, who played Kahlan in Legend of the Seeker.

Not sure if this is a good enough picture, but the chick on the left.
                Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                  I'd love to see Bridget Regan as Wonder Woman, who played Kahlan in Legend of the Seeker.

Not sure if this is a good enough picture, but the chick on the left.
                  I can see that...
                  sigpic

Comment

As a big Wonder Woman fan all I can say is that I will believe when I'm actually watching the pilot episode! I have the Linda Carter series on DVD which my daughter has watched. She was WW for Hallowe'en when she was 3. And she really did look like a mini WW with her long dark hair. She got recognised everywhere.
                    Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

This is going to be a disaster. The only way a show about WW could work is if she stays on the island so she can battle monsters and villians there. This way she doesn't have to wear some ridiculous outfit and fly around in an invisible plane and have stupid modern day upbeat music playing in the background.

Comment

TV 'Wonder Woman' Not Going At This Time

The TV reboot of Wonder Woman is being postponed. David E. Kelley's high-profile take on the female superhero has been shelved after not landing a deal at a broadcast network because of what sources called unfortunate timing. The project hails from DC sibling Warner Bros. TV where Kelley is based with an overall deal. The Practice creator Kelley had been looking to do a contemporary take on the World War II-era Amazon, and at the end of September, he met with the DC team, who also had been looking for ways to launch a new Wonder Woman TV franchise. Soon after the meeting, Kelley started working on a pilot script, which, like his other recent projects, was written on spec. The script was reportedly taken out to the broadcast networks on Wednesday night. Fox and ABC passed, while WBTV's sister network the CW could not afford it.

continues:
                        http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/tv-w...-at-this-time/

Comment

Wonder Woman would be very tricky to do in live action. They'll have a really hard time just casting Wonder Woman. She's supposed to be an Amazon so she has to be tall, have above average muscularity, but still possess the idealized features associated with beauty in western society. They'll have a very hard time finding someone like that, especially considering how sexual differences are pretty amplified on television and movies. Other than Sarah Connor in Terminator 2, I can't think of a muscular female protagonist in a television show or film. Heck, there aren't even that many female protagonists who don't have slender figures.

Comment

Originally posted by Madwelshboy View Post
                            TV 'Wonder Woman' Not Going At This Time

The TV reboot of Wonder Woman is being postponed. David E. Kelley's high-profile take on the female superhero has been shelved after not landing a deal at a broadcast network because of what sources called unfortunate timing. The project hails from DC sibling Warner Bros. TV where Kelley is based with an overall deal. The Practice creator Kelley had been looking to do a contemporary take on the World War II-era Amazon, and at the end of September, he met with the DC team, who also had been looking for ways to launch a new Wonder Woman TV franchise. Soon after the meeting, Kelley started working on a pilot script, which, like his other recent projects, was written on spec. The script was reportedly taken out to the broadcast networks on Wednesday night. Fox and ABC passed, while WBTV's sister network the CW could not afford it.

continues:
                            http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/tv-w...-at-this-time/
                            Typical...I wonder why the CW couldn't afford it. I think the CW would be the perfect network for the show.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                              Typical...I wonder why the CW couldn't afford it. I think the CW would be the perfect network for the show.
                              Considering the amount of money they'll be saving when Smallville ends, I am surprised they couldn't afford it.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X