Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The SGA Novels. Questions. Thoughts Comments.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The SGA Novels. Questions. Thoughts Comments.

Just noticed that they got a series of them getting ready to come out here pretty soon.
    Anyone thinking of picking them up?

And if so.

What would be the chances of them doing a Wraith centered story arc that didn't envolve the SGA team?

Wraith stories from the past?

The Fight against the Ancients.
    Todd's adventure that lead to him being captured by the Geni?

Would you consider picking up such a story?
    I like Sharky
    sigpic

i dont consider them canon (neither do many others) so it would be as useful as reading fan fiction.

those books would only deal with established characters they wouldnt delve into the past.

Comment

i consider them canon and will get them as soon as they come out

Comment

I don't really care about the stories being canon or not.
        I am just more interested in type of stories,and such.
        I like Sharky
        sigpic

Comment

I have a couple because I don't have much money and some of them are freakin ridiculous. The first book is just about the pilot but adds some additional stuff about things they probably cut.

Other ones are just about exploring, 1 of the ones I have is about them going to earth. Another is about recording they found in Atlantis. Umm trying not to give much away but they find some new/old friends in the PGalaxy. They run into people ripping off other civilizations that are advanced enough to have ships. Visits from AU people.

I only have 6 of them so I can't tell you much about the others even though I would like a full review of the ones that are like $50 (I think its 3,4, and 5?) if anyone can help me?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
            Just noticed that they got a series of them getting ready to come out here pretty soon.
            Anyone thinking of picking them up?

And if so.

What would be the chances of them doing a Wraith centered story arc that didn't envolve the SGA team?

Wraith stories from the past?

The Fight against the Ancients.
            Todd's adventure that lead to him being captured by the Geni?

Would you consider picking up such a story?
            There is one about the Wraith that tells about a different sect of them being created then hidden away. There is some mention to Ancients in some of the ones I have but not much. There is one book I haven't been able to buy ($$) that is about Ancient ghosts I think?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
              i dont consider them canon (neither do many others) so it would be as useful as reading fan fiction.
              Actually, they officially aren't canon, or so Jo Graham said on her journal.

However, since the Legacy series she's writing together with two or three other authors is so much closer to my personal canon that I consider her books canon, not whatever TPTB will torture us with, should the elusive movie ever be made
              I'm a 60%er.

I will always place the mission first.
              I will never accept defeat.
              I will never quit.
              I will never leave a fallen comrade.
              ------
              "There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives."

Comment

oh yes please! i'd love some wraith/todd stories as the flyattractor suggests ... the novels are brilliant editions to the atlantis story - especially ones like 'entanglement' where the team work with the eidolon, wraith from a different reality!

Comment

Heres my view of the books I've read thus far without going into any real spoilers about events that occur in them.

1. Rising : Sally Malcolm - Pretty much the same as the ep but with a few extra bits.

2. Reliquary : Martha Wells - Pretty good, and very well written. Shes pretty much been my favorite of all the sga authors so far. Her characterizations are pretty accurate. Theres a lot of John and Rodney friendship in this book, the banter between the characters is great; but everyone else plays a pretty important part to the story.

3. The Chosen : Sonny Whitelaw & Elizabeth Christian - This one is pretty good. The characterizations seem pretty accurate for the most part. Theres lots of team stuff in it.

4. Halcyon : James Swallow - I thought this one was pretty good too. There was some weirdness in the interactions between Teyla, John and Ronon(which really had me rolling my eyes while reading); but overall for me it was pretty well written and it had a good story.

5. Exogenesis : Sonny Whitelaw & Elizabeth Christian - Again, this one is pretty good story wise, The characterizations are fairly accurate imo. There is a bit of weirdness regarding Rodney and an oc, that in my opinion, doesn't really fit the character; but overall its a good book.

6. Entanglement : Martha Wells - This one is one of my favorites. The characterizations are great. Lots of team stuff. Great use of secondary characters. Miko Kusanagi and and Zelenka have fairly big roles from what I can remember. Lorne plays a part too. Some pretty good issues are raised. Theres an alternate reality mirror in this and a different kind of PG on the other side.

7. Casualties of War : Elizabeth Christian - I really liked this one. Pretty good characterizations and pretty good story. Atlantis trys to help some locals and it causes some problems. Elizabeth gets to go offworld to negotiate; Lorne and Cadman have something to do in this book too.

8. Blood Ties : Sonny Whitelaw & Elizabeth Christian - This has to be my least favorite sga novel; and not just because it has a Mary-Sue OC that plays a pretty large and important role in the book. The authors seem to be trying to link too many things together in the book; taking giant leaps in logic and butchering series canon(imo). Everything from the Ori to dinosaurs are used/mentioned in this book. IMO the authors really needed to brush up on Ancient 101 before they attempted to write this. Some of the characters are very OOC(imo) a lot of the time. On the plus side, it was nice to see Daniel interacting with the sga characters.

9. Mirror Mirror : Sabine C. Bauer - I thought this book was very well written and the characterizations were pretty solid. It has a lot of moving around in time and realities; so it might not be everyones thing; but I thought it was a really good book overall. I had some issues with it though. I thought some of the characters behaved in a OOC way in order to get the whole thing started (once the problems started though everyone was pretty much in character though for the situation); and one of the OC's said something near the beginning that didn't make any sense logically in show canon.

10. Nightfall : James Swallow - The story was pretty good for the most part. There may have been some technical issues regarding how the stargate works in this book vs. how it works in the series. Some of the characters behaved illogically at times and even act a bit OOC (imo). It was ok I guess and for me not as bad as Blood Ties.

11. Angelus : Peter J. Evans - Overall it was ok. Sam seems off; and so does Teyla, but to a lesser extent. John keeps calling Carter "Sam"; which I can't remember him ever doing on the show(for some reason this bothered me a lot while I was reading it). The whole Sam/John dynamic seems off to me compared to the show. The story is pretty good though, and the plot was interesting enough to keep me entertained.

All of what I've written is just my opinion.
                  I have Dead End (12) and Hunt and Run (13). But I haven't read those yet.
                  Last edited by VampyreWraith; 15 September 2010, 07:37 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

yeah, i agree with you there VampyreWraith, i love all the wraith stuff, but 'blood ties' is my least favorite book as well ... it was all over the place and just didn't hit the spot for me either.

Comment

Originally posted by mercy moon View Post
                      yeah, i agree with you there VampyreWraith, i love all the wraith stuff, but 'blood ties' is my least favorite book as well ... it was all over the place and just didn't hit the spot for me either.
                      Yeah, that book had me asking "What the hell are they talking about?" and "Since when?" a bit too much for me to enjoy it. It would've been better if they hadn't tried to link up everything that ever happened in the Stargate universe all together and had actually gotten in show facts right regarding the Ancients/Ori/Wraith/Goauld/Stargates. The basic premise of it sounded ok but it was executed really poorly imo.
                      sigpic

Comment

I have yet to read any SGA or SG1 novels as I have a high level of skepticism.

Comment

That is kinda the only real prob with a series being written by multiple authors.
                          Some can be reallly good.
                          Others can make a culling look like a good time
                          I like Sharky
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X