Red Vs Blue: A Halo Machinima

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Vs Blue: A Halo Machinima

Couldn't find a thread on this, but if there is one, feel free to point it out.

For the uninitiated, Red Vs Blue is a very popular Halo machinima (Fancy internet term for video game movie thing, basically). The original series ran for 100 episodes over five seasons, the first season's episodes averaged 3 minutes long, but time passed and longer episodes came about, the longest clocking in at 25 minutes (Episode 50, I think). The quality of the first few seasons is a little lacking - sound quality, mostly - but still very enjoyable. The RvB guys recently got to work on a Remastered Boxset with updated graphics, which can be purchased at their online store and selected retailers later this month.

Red Vs Blue is humorous, vulgar and has fun poking at the video game stereotypes. Knowledge of the Halo games series isn't needed, and I think the show can be enjoyed for those without a grounding in geek humour and such. The original five series run was all about having fun and occasionally dipping into action or serious storylines, and was very much carried by the awesomely varied and zany main characters, especially Caboose and Donut. Especially. Apart from the main episodes, a lot of Public Service Announcement videos can be found, humorous little non-canon stuff to enjoy on the side.

The original series wrapped up and a new three-part series started three years back, titled Recollections, containing seasons six, seven and eight. Season eight is one episode off finishing up the storyline as of now, and the DVD's available for purchase next week (As well as the boxset). This series follows a more actual storyline, and season eight (Red Vs Blue: Revelation) has dipped into CGI animation. Which is awesome. Episodes can be found online to watch as well:

http://redvsblue.com/archive/?sid=rvb&season=1

For the newbies, it's recommended to watch the series in this order: Season 1, Season 2, Season 3, Season 4, Red Vs Blue: Out of Mind miniseries, Season 5, Red Vs Blue: Recovery One miniseries, Red Vs Blue: Reconstruction (Season 6), Red Vs Blue: Relocated miniseries, Red Vs Blue: Recreation (Season 7) and Red Vs Blue: Revelation (Season 8). 134 episodes have aired as of now in the main series.

So yeah, I figured that it was about time this little internet show got it's props here at Gateworld, so even if it's just me appreciating it, that's cool! For those caught up with the series:

Spoiler:
    Revelation chapter 19? The most awesomest awesome that ever awesomed.
    ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Personally I don't like the CGI they're using in this latest season. For me the entertainment value of the show comes from the fact that they did it all with their XBoxes.

Comment

Haven't seen the latest season yet, but that aside I love RvB

Still, nothing can top their first year. Something about the first season just clicked in a way they haven't really been able to replicate since then.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by jsonitsac View Post
        Personally I don't like the CGI they're using in this latest season. For me the entertainment value of the show comes from the fact that they did it all with their XBoxes.
        The enjoyment for me came from the characters and the humour, and later, the storylines. I like that Red Vs Blue has surprised me this season by including some awesome CGI action sequences I would've never expected to see in it. It's just fun, and that's enough to not make me go all Halo-only elitist stuff.

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        Haven't seen the latest season yet, but that aside I love RvB

Still, nothing can top their first year. Something about the first season just clicked in a way they haven't really been able to replicate since then.
        Really? The first season was fun, but the exaggerated pauses between dialogues, the crappy sound quality (Explosions, for one) and such don't really make it the best for me upon rewatching. The guys at Roosterteeth got into their groove by the end of that season, and things really shot off brilliantly for me in the next seasons- Caboose became stupider, Donut became the Donut we all love, Sarge became crazier, and the show really became it's own little story... Considering that's what happens for the next 100+ episodes, I've grown very fond and used to it.
        ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
          Sarge became crazier, and the show really became it's own little story... Considering that's what happens for the next 100+ episodes, I've grown very fond and used to it.
          Sarge is sane now & he has not tried to kill or threatened Grif since the beginning of this Season

Comment

Revelation DVD's available for shipping now, I think. The finale aired too, and it was pretty awesome, as expected.

Spoiler:
            Boo yah's all around for how the whole Church/Tex thing's got tied up. Props to Sarge for taking a massive badass boost once more - actually, everybody played their part and did me proud. And the ending? Jesus, who knew a little machinima could tug at my black heart like that...

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
              Really? The first season was fun, but the exaggerated pauses between dialogues, the crappy sound quality (Explosions, for one) and such don't really make it the best for me upon rewatching.
              I just find there's something really a lot funnier and more fun when things are more amateurish I guess. I also found that the first season was a lot more laugh-out-loud funny, where later it became more tongue-in-cheek. It's not that I don't like the later seasons, I do. It's just that season 1 is my favourite
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                I just find there's something really a lot funnier and more fun when things are more amateurish I guess. I also found that the first season was a lot more laugh-out-loud funny, where later it became more tongue-in-cheek. It's not that I don't like the later seasons, I do. It's just that season 1 is my favourite
                I find alot of season 1 quite funny but I think it's the later seasons where you get to know the characters and they get to know eachother when it really gets funny. Especially since Caboose really comes into his own.

Anyway I've really loved these last 3 recollection series. They haven't been quite as funny on a first watch. But on a re-watch I realised that they are just as good as the Blood Gulch Chronicles. And I've actually come to like the reds even more. Before I thought they were funny but not as much so as the Blues, now they've had more of a focus however I find myself liking them more and more.
                Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Anyway I've really loved these last 3 recollection series. They haven't been quite as funny on a first watch. But on a re-watch I realised that they are just as good as the Blood Gulch Chronicles. And I've actually come to like the reds even more. Before I thought they were funny but not as much so as the Blues, now they've had more of a focus however I find myself liking them more and more.
                  Very much agree. The Recollections succeeded in taking the RvB world into something a little more serious, giving the characters some truly badass moments and adding in a little something more poignant and memorable by the end of Revelation. And yet still, they kept up with the awesome humour - Reconstruction's "Worst throw ever. Of all time" comes to mind here.

As for the Reds, I agree too. I always liked them a lot too (Donut and Sarge were always favourites of mine alongside all the Blues), but the Blues had the main focus over Blood Gulch Chronicles and carried it brilliantly. Now, in Recollection, the Reds aren't given anymore focus than they had in Blood Gulch, but something about them changed them up and made them just so much more awesome for me. Maybe it was because their humour was used to offset the seriousness of the Blues stuff. Revelation, though, had fun with them and made them some kind of awesome. The awesome kind:

Spoiler:
                  Grif and Sarge, for sure. Sarge in general was Revelation's MVP - from his deduction of Simmons's situation in chapter two, the whole sequence in chapter three, to his general awesomeness throughout, the EPIC speech in chapter eighteen, and finally, the last fight in chapter twenty. Dude's hardcore.

Speaking of MVP's, the DVD commentaries occasionally point out who the creators thought to be the funniest character in that season, or the one that stood out the most. I totally follow their line of thought, and here are mine: Season One's is the hardest to decide, but I'll say Church. Season Two is Donut, hands down (He became much funnier that season. And gay.). Season Three is a toss-up between Church and O'Malley, the former for time-travelling antics and the latter for his interactions with Doc, Lopez and the Red Zealot (Whacky fun time!). Season Four belongs to Simmons, for his little breakaway story. Season Five is Tucker's all the way, for the last few episodes at least (Sister comes second for being the newest character who simultaneously became the coolest two episodes later.). Reconstruction is a toss-up between Washington or Church, as the two mainest characters of the piece. Recreation is Lopez's (With perennial favourites Donut and Caboose vying for second place, and Tucker angling in again). Revelation is Sarge's for reasons I went into in the spoiler box above.

Next season better be a Grif MVP season! Dude's been an all-rounder long enough. Though he does have Grifball to his name. Good on him.

Comment

Working...
                  X