Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ronald D. Moore developing new adult "Harry Potter style" show for NBC

NBC developing new Harry Potter style show

Ronald D. Moore is back at NBC Universal with a new drama project for NBC that has landed one of the biggest commitments so far this pitch season. The project from Sony TV where the Battlestar Galactica developer inked a two-year overall deal in May, is described as an adult Harry Potter set in a world ruled not by science but by magic. I hear the drama got pilot and series penalties totaling close to $2 million. Before going to Sony, Moore had three consecutive overall deals at NBC Uni’s Universal Media Studios that were tied to his services on Syfy’s Battlestar Galactica, a reimagening of Glen A. Larson's classic, which he executive produced and ran with David Eick. The duo is also behind the Battlestar Galactica spinoff Caprica. Sony has made drama development a priority this season, signing deals with Moore, Smallville creators Miles Millar and Alfred Gough

http://www.spoilertv.com/2010/09/nbc...#ixzz0yJ5qyfPP

Well, now I'm just conflicted. I love Ron Moore's work, but I loathe Harry Potter. What to do?
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      Well, now I'm just conflicted. I love Ron Moore's work, but I loathe Harry Potter. What to do?
      Ignore the words "Harry Potter". Chances are it's just to help promote the new show, like people who think "like Twight" sounds like a good way to get viewers.

sigpic

Comment

The RDM crusade against science and technology continues...

Comment

Ronald D. Moore. Gritty magic world?

Count. Me. In.

With bells on.
          ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

I wonder what this means for the future of Caprica?
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

You should love Harry Potter, that is what you should do! Sounds very interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                You should love Harry Potter, that is what you should do! Sounds very interesting!
                Sorry, I can't love crap

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                The RDM crusade against science and technology continues...
                If by that you meant "RDM crusade against mindless technobabble in lieu of good storytelling", then yes

Comment

Sorry, I can't love crap
                  You cannot resist it forever. You will be assimilated.

Comment

What's going to be the difference between this and the Lev Grossman book "The Magicians?"
                    I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
                      What's going to be the difference between this and the Lev Grossman book "The Magicians?"
                      People actually know who Ron Moore is?

Comment

If by that you meant "RDM crusade against mindless technobabble in lieu of good storytelling", then yes
                        No, I mean the 'we should all serve god and technology inevitably corrupts us' rhetoric he weaves into his shows. I don't disagree with his criticisms of Trek, or dispute that he's a good writer, but I think he abuses the genre just as badly as Trek sometimes did but in a different way. Sci-fi is about asking questions and letting your characters answer them in how they interact with the fantastical sci-fi environment you create for them, not constructing an admittedly beautifully crafted and well written story contrived to force your own personal political and theological rhetorical down the audience's throats.

Comment

I bet this show well have a simliar conclusion as Virtuality and Caprica.
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            I bet this show well have a simliar conclusion as Virtuality and Caprica.
                            Which one, not picked up at all, or picked up and not yet known if it got picked up again?

Comment

Which one, not picked up at all, or picked up and not yet known if it got picked up again?
                              The one that ends up in failure. I don't see it lasting very long on network TV
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                              X