PDA

View Full Version : SGA Audioplays

RubixCube
August 31st, 2010, 05:00 AM
I recently purchased Impressions and I was quite impressed by the story and the voice acting.
I have Meltdown and A Perchance To Dream on their way, but I was just wondering if anyone else has these or the others and can tell me if they're any good.

Libero
August 31st, 2010, 06:24 AM
Hi, RubixCube
I listened to "Savarna" and "Pathogen" - both are with the fabulous Teryl Rothery AKA Dr. Janet Fraiser and they are really good. "Pathogen" also featured Teal'c - it's great.
After the play you get a nice interview with Teryl - so wonderful!
Recently I bought "A Perchance To Dream". The story is very creepy and I loved Pauls Scottish brogue.
Hm ... me and the doctors ... :)

RubixCube
September 1st, 2010, 03:27 AM
Okay.
I read the summary on them, seems like they have a good storyline, so I'll probably get them next time :)
Yeah, I love the fact they have interviews at the end, makes it feel just that more personal and worth the buy.
Paul's accent is one of the main reasons I bought Perchance. That and a friend of mine said the story was quite the thriller. Can't wait to listen to it.

Hehe, don't blame you. So far, it's hard to not like the SG doctors :D

littlesquirrel
February 19th, 2011, 10:28 PM
I was just about to add a thread asking about these audio books/audio plays when I saw this thread. I remember seeing something about audio books/plays narrated by David Nykl and Kavan Smith; are these part of the set you've got? How are they and where can I find them to buy? Thanks!

JMSwallow
February 20th, 2011, 07:48 AM
I was just about to add a thread asking about these audio books/audio plays when I saw this thread. I remember seeing something about audio books/plays narrated by David Nykl and Kavan Smith; are these part of the set you've got? How are they and where can I find them to buy? Thanks!

Hey littlesquirrel;

You can purchase all the Stargate Atlantis audio dramas directly from Big Finish Productions, either on CD or via download.

Here's a link: http://www.bigfinish.com/Stargate-SG-1-and-Atlantis

David Nykl appears in two of the plays - Zero Point (written by me!) and Meltdown (by David McIntee) - and Kavan Smith appears in Impressions by Scott Andrews.

The links below will lead you to those releases (including trailers):
http://www.bigfinish.com/16-Stargate-Atlantis-Zero-Point
http://www.bigfinish.com/26-Stargate-Atlantis-Meltdown
http://www.bigfinish.com/22-Stargate-Atlantis-Impressions

Starfist
February 22nd, 2011, 10:56 AM

Hi littlesquirrel.
I have most of the Big Finish audio dramas. For both Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis. Which I purchased here in the UK from a store called 'Forbidden Planet'. But as JMSwallow has said in his post you can go direct to Big Finish productions.
The audio adventures read by David Nykl and Kavan Smith are, in my opinion, very good and well written.
And I can recommend them.

'Zero Point' is one of my favourites. Which I often take into work with me. Along with the SG-1 adventure 'Savarna'.

ttyl
Starfist

littlesquirrel
February 22nd, 2011, 09:51 PM
Sweet! Thanks to JMSwallow and Starfist. Am heading to check 'em out :D!

Starsaber
February 23rd, 2011, 06:41 AM
Anyone know if there are any plans for a third set of them? I have all 12 (6 SGA/6 SG-1) that have been released so far.

I'd really like one featuring David Hewlett

JMSwallow
February 24th, 2011, 01:09 AM
Anyone know if there are any plans for a third set of them? I have all 12 (6 SGA/6 SG-1) that have been released so far.

We're currently working on a third Stargate SG-1 series that will feature two three-part episodic stories, featuring the characters of Daniel Jackson and Vala Mal Doran; at the moment we're trying to tie down our actors for recording sessions, but they're busy people...

I'd really like one featuring David Hewlett

So would we!

Starsaber
February 24th, 2011, 08:39 AM
We're currently working on a third Stargate SG-1 series that will feature two three-part episodic stories, featuring the characters of Daniel Jackson and Vala Mal Doran; at the moment we're trying to tie down our actors for recording sessions, but they're busy people...

More Vala/Daniel ones? Awesome. That was my favorite of the SG-1 ones so far. :D They just have such great chemistry.

mistermassive1
March 30th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Oh these are great! Now I have something to lighten up the trip around town at work. Thanks I had no idea these existed! :)

Falcon Horus
March 30th, 2011, 01:24 PM
{mod snip}

but if they could stop me from listening to all of my 5000+ songs on my iPod over and over again at work, then why shouldn't I give them a try. :p

Though listening to all those songs does keep me busy for approx. 5 to 6 weeks. :p I doubt the audioplays can do that.

mistermassive1
March 30th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Yeah but, when your drive around all day it's nice to have a story once in awhile to listen to. I had the MP3 of a twilight zone (the originals) that someone who I assume was blind uploaded on a torrent site. They passed the time in a fun way and I was excited to get back to my vehicle and continue listening in between stops.

WraithTech
March 30th, 2011, 02:53 PM

Do you have any plans to publish the scripts? I have a hearing impairment that prevents me from enjoying many audiobooks. :o

Elite Anubis Guard
March 30th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Yeah but, when your drive around all day it's nice to have a story once in awhile to listen to. I had the MP3 of a twilight zone (the originals) that someone who I assume was blind uploaded on a torrent site. They passed the time in a fun way and I was excited to get back to my vehicle and continue listening in between stops.

Indeed. I much prefer listening to conversations (podcasts) or audio stories while I'm driving. I'll often listen to the audio stories when I can't get to sleep and just enjoying them in bed.

I just wish Season 3 would hurry up.

JMSwallow
March 31st, 2011, 12:35 AM
Do you have any plans to publish the scripts? I have a hearing impairment that prevents me from enjoying many audiobooks. :o

As I understand it, Big Finish's licence to produce Stargate material does not allow them to publish scripts, script-books or similar items.

WraithTech
March 31st, 2011, 10:01 AM
As I understand it, Big Finish's licence to produce Stargate material does not allow them to publish scripts, script-books or similar items.

If the discs ever become available with captions, someone please let me know. Thanks!

CheekyBeckett
April 1st, 2011, 04:41 PM
I have both Carson Beckett audios, "Perchance to Dream" and "The Kindness of Strangers". I love "Perchance to Dream". It's very exciting and compelling. I've listened to it 3 times since I got it at Christmas. It was an added bonus to hear Sarah Douglas on that one as well.

The other was a little too much like Season 2's "Inferno" but it was still a good listen.

Starfist
April 1st, 2011, 10:27 PM
I have to agree that 'Perchance to Dream' is a good audio drama.
And yes Sarah Douglas is an added bonus. Considering the roles she has played within the Sci-Fi and Fantasy Genre.

I am looking forward to 'Season 3'. And I hope there will be more after that...

CheekyBeckett
April 2nd, 2011, 07:55 AM
I have to agree that 'Perchance to Dream' is a good audio drama.
And yes Sarah Douglas is an added bonus. Considering the roles she has played within the Sci-Fi and Fantasy Genre.

I just love her. I get excited everytime I see her in the genre. I was very pleasantly surprised when I heard her on the audioplay.

Rosemary Weir22
April 9th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Is there an audio book which Torri Higginson narrates? If so what's it called?

Scary Kitty
April 9th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Might want to read through the whole thread next time; page 1 has a link to the Big Finish website that answers all your questions. :)

http://www.bigfinish.com/Stargate-SG-1-and-Atlantis