Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After stargate, is there ever going to be a franchise as big?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After stargate, is there ever going to be a franchise as big?

I am getting really worried, of the prospect that, stargate maybe the last big major sci-fi franchise on TV(as in series wise not movie wise).During the 90s, we had a lot of successful franchises on TV which made it worthwhile and entertaining to watch, however, I can't see any new franchises that are as big as stargate, ever since they canceled BSG.If stargate franchise does come to an end, will there be another franchise that will take it place?

I doubt it

Doctor Who (and spin-offs!), Star Trek, Star Wars, and Stargate are all alive and well
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Maybe Mass Effect?
      (if they actually make a movie...I mean, if it proves popular enough, who knows? mini-series? series? Same goes for Halo: they've been talking about a movie for a while now, and the live-action promos are great, IMHO... )

Digi has a point, tho': SG is still alive (but I guess that also depends on who you ask here ), and I don't think those involved will let ST, SW and Dr. Who die anytime soon.

I'm praying for a Farscape revival, tho'...
      (unlikely as that may be )
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gotthammer View Post
        Maybe Mass Effect?
        (if they actually make a movie...I mean, if it proves popular enough, who knows?
        Hey movie aside there's a lot behind it!

There's two full-blown games with a third on the way, 8 DLCs, a mobile game, 3 novels, 3 comic series....lots of stuff
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

While i havent finished the two Mass Effect games yet i think they would make a great live-action sci fi series, same goes for Halo

Both great franchises
          Last Movie Watched
          X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
          Life is Strange

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            Doctor Who (and spin-offs!), Star Trek, Star Wars, and Stargate are all alive and well
            Well...I meant has a continuation. With the exception of doctor who(which I love), but that is only 6-10 episodes I want more...

Comment

Doctor Who has Torchwood and Sarah Jane spin-offs, Star Wars has one series on the go and another in the pipe, and Star Trek has recently returned from the dead with a bang. I'd say that's pretty solid all around

As for new franchises starting up....who can say? We have no idea what the future holds

Comment

Nothing will ever be as good as Stargate...ever...

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                  Nothing will ever be as good as Stargate...ever...
                  Oh I dunno.

I mean, I hope someone comes up with something grand/epic in terms of military sci-fi/space opera (please, God, in my lifetime, a live-action, 'decently budgeted' version of 'Legend of the Galactic Heroes' with a cast reflecting the characters' 'nationalities' )
                  sigpic

Comment

I remember that WoW is doing a movie , if i remember well it will be released in 2012
                    sigpic
                    Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
                    StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
                    GW member infractions : 1

Comment

nope as soon as Stargate ends, the world will explode. so sayeth Escyos

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                        nope as soon as Stargate ends, the world will explode. so sayeth Escyos
                        But you can buy the anti-apocalyptic pants
                        sigpic
                        Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
                        StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
                        GW member infractions : 1

Comment

I have never played the mass effect game(s?) but a TV series in that game's universe would be pretty cool
                          I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

Originally posted by webxro View Post
                            But you can buy the anti-apocalyptic pants
                            He already has, webxro, though, his dog is using it atm. I think we are good and safe.

I sure hope others franchise arise with the same sci-fi space/modern military background and have the same success. Though I'm loving Jeremiah and i think that around those that have been canceled there are a lot of good ideas worth reviving, Jeremiah for one.
                            sigpic
                            - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Originally posted by Wayston View Post
                              I have never played the mass effect game(s?) but a TV series in that game's universe would be pretty cool
                              Go out right know, by both games, all the novels and comics, and we'll see you in a couple of weeks. Trust me it's worth it.

But yes Mass Effect has the capability to be the next big scifi franchise. Already it's pretty big for something that has only been around since 2007. If they can get the movie off the ground then the franchise could really get going, though I have my reservations. A successful movie would have to exist in the same universe as the games, and not try and adapt the games. There's far too much detail and content from a 40+ hour game to fit into a 2 hour movie, even with trimming out a lot of the battles. On top of that there's all the different outcomes to your decisions in the game, the character customization, that many people could sit down to watch a movie adaptation and find it barely resemble the Mass Effect they played.

Comment

Working...
                              X