Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC Animated Universe -- Discussion/Spoilers

A thread to discuss the greatness of the DCAU....consisting of:
    • Batman: The Animated Series (+ Mask of the Phantasm)
    • The New Batman/Superman Adventures (Superman TAS+New Batman Adventures+SubZero)
    • Batman Beyond + Return of the Joker
    • Static Shock
    • The Zeta Project
    • Justice League
    • Mystery of the Batwoman
    • Justice League Unlimited

IMO, Batman TAS is the finest comic cartoon ever produced. I loved all of it, and I love that they got most of the cast back for the Arkham Asylum games

And in related news, Warner Bros. has announced a Batman Beyond complete series boxset! (Packaging/art/etc at link)
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

I've seen all of these except The Zeta Project and Mystery of the Batwoman. I liked them for the most part as I grew up with a special love Superman:The Animated Series because of being the first
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

I really need to rewatch the whole DCAU again, but BTAS was just spectacular. Static Shock was....well....id rather not talk about that. Mask of the Phantasm is my favorite Batman film, I love it more than than any of the live-action films. I've never seen the Zeta Project or Mystery of the Batwoman either. I hope to get the complete Justice League set, but I think I will get the Batman and Superman individual season sets. I've heard some bad things about the Superman complete set. Hopefully the Batman Beyond set is good...

Comment

I've seen them all except for Static and Zeta. There was never any comic book stores around when I was growing up, so my interest in DC (and Marvel too) developed from the cartoons on television.

I was never able to get into Static Shock, nor Zeta Project but I loved all the other stuff (not so much Mystery of the Batwoman).

I love it when they get the DCAU voices back for non-DCAU stuff. Arkham Asylum was made 10 times better for me by having Kevin Conroy, Mark Hamill and Arleen Sorkin doing Batman, Joker and Poison Ivy (not the first time they've did Batman games together).

Same with "Batman/Superman: Public Enemies" when released on DVD (and the yet to be released sequel).. I'm even interested interested in George Newbern and Jerry O'Connell reprising their Justice League characters (Superman and Captain Marvel) for "Superman/Shazam!" (which isn't a movie, just a short special included with some future DVD release).

sigpic

Comment

Im not a big fan of the DCAU, i love Marvel Animated Universe but i havent seen much of DCAU ive only really seen Batman Brave and the Bold
          Last Movie Watched
          X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
          Life is Strange

Comment

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post
            Im not a big fan of the DCAU, i love Marvel Animated Universe but i havent seen much of DCAU ive only really seen Batman Brave and the Bold
            Brave and the Bold isn't part of the DCAU...and IMO thats a good thing. I don't like The Batman and BATB at all!

Comment

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post
              Brave and the Bold isn't part of the DCAU

Go watch the Batman animated series from the 90s....now. You won't regret it
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                Brave and the Bold isn't part of the DCAU

Go watch the Batman animated series from the 90s....now. You won't regret it
                He will if he watches The New Adventure of Batman
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Well, maybe the Tim Drake episodes toward the end yeah

The rest of it though, solid stuff

Comment

It's not part of the DCAU, but I have to highly recommend the new animated feature Batman: Under the Red Hood to all you guys. I just got done watching it and it's so good that I wish they'd made it as part of the DCAU.

Comment

It's not part of the DCAU, but I have to highly recommend the new animated feature Batman: Under the Red Hood to all you guys. I just got done watching it and it's so good that I wish they'd made it as part of the DCAU.
                      I meant to get it the day it was released, I really plan on seeing it soon.

Comment

Ah. Well, don't hesitate. It was excellent, I'd put it right up there with Phantasm.

Comment

Ah. Well, don't hesitate. It was excellent, I'd put it right up there with Phantasm.

Comment

High praise, I know. I loved this new movie. I watched it tonight, 'illegitimately', and I plan to go out tomorrow to buy it on BD. It was that good.

Biggest points against it IMO were that it wasn't part of the DCAU and that it's an adaptation rather than an original story as Phantasm was.

Comment

I honestly don't see why the DC animated movies (for the most part) can't be done to fit into the DCAU. I'd have said "Under the Red Hood" wouldn't have worked as DCAU, but there was a year or two (maybe longer) where Batman stopped and Superman began, then New Adventures happened with Tim Drake. Jason Todd could have easily been worked into the DCAU backstory but just one of those things Batman never talks about.

Under the Red Hood was a good movie, probably one of the best DCOA (DC original animation) but the voices did fit for me, which is weird as John DiMaggio was there and I love his stuff yet as the Joker,it didn't work.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X