Skyline News/Discussion/Speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skyline News/Discussion/Speculation

The low-budget indie Skyline, where hostile aliens unleash hell on Los Angeles, just unveiled its first-ever footage. We saw a movie that definitely has the potential to be the next District 9...but on an even bigger scale.

The premise of Skyline is simple. As the trailer and a preview showed us, a group of young, mildly douchey friends are spending the weekend partying at a swanky hotel on the outskirts of Los Angeles. After a night of revelry, they are awakened at 4:27 AM by strange, booming noises. They head outside to see strange blue lights vaporizing downtown Los Angeles. When two of the characters go out to the roof to investigate, they see UFOs descend from the clouds, and other people start getting sucked off the rooftops into the ships.

With that, the race is on to survive and flee the city, all while trying to avoid getting sucked into a UFO, dodge giant prowling aliens, and escape the mysterious blue lights that absolutely wreak havoc on people's skin. We don't know just how massive the attack is - whether it's worldwide or centered on Los Angeles - but we saw clips of giant aerial battles between the military and the UFOs, and the panel moderator hinted that he had seen scenes that were on an even bigger scale.

http://io9.com/5595163/mysterious-al...ext-district-9
    November 2010 is the release date. It great to see a resurgence in alien movies lately. An the ships looks awsome.
    Last edited by knowles2; 24 July 2010, 02:10 PM.

sounds like Cloverdale with aliens.

District 9 was original. or at least, i haven't heard of similar movies recently. Skyline sounds like one of hundreds

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post

District 9 was original. or at least, i haven't heard of similar movies recently. Skyline sounds like one of hundreds
      District 9 was just about raqcial equalities done with aliens, the original bit was the aliens being well alien.
      To be honest I am more excited about the descriptions of the aliens, an the design of the ships. An the fact that the directors basically thought of everything they were not allow to do under the studio system an did it in this movie,than the story.
      Plus the CGI should be top quality, consider it all there own team an there own project I suspect we may see some originality an new technology in there an plus they probably treated this film as gigantic advertising peace for there CGI studio, so I expect large scale battles.
      An as long as they deliver in those area I will be happy. Some films I do not expect a good, fairly original story, so if it have that then I will be even more please.
      Last edited by knowles2; 26 July 2010, 02:38 AM.

Comment

The low-budget indie
        makes me think
        CGI should be top quality
        won't happen.

The description makes all of this sound like a Saturday syfy movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
          makes me think won't happen.

The description makes all of this sound like a Saturday syfy movie.

You do know the blokes behind this did Iron Man 2, 2012, X-Men 3, CGI an much of CGI in many of the block buster films over the last few years. The CGI in this film was done by there own in house team that produce the above.

These blokes will not risk ruining there own reputation by producing a sub standard, low quality work in this film.
          . The article above what link to say the same. Plus comments from Comic con has all pointed to high quality CGI contain in the film. Some comparing it to Transformers movies in terms of quality an scale.
          As I said, I believe the studio will use this as a demo reel to show off what they can produce as a CGI studio, mean they will show off all there tricks an eye candy. I expect at the very least it will match there work done in Battle Los Angeles, which they are also doing the CGI work for but I would not be surprise if they exceed that film in CGI quality..

The amount of money does not equal good CGI, District 9 was done for less the 30 million, an I do not think there much better out there than that film. An that was called a low budget film, an that film CGI was done by students I believe.

Obviously good CGI does not mean a good story, which I expect truth be told the story to be like a Scifi Saturday movie, but I can easily live with that if they have good CGI an explosions an action scenes an the acting, from there work on TV should be half descent. .
          Last edited by knowles2; 26 July 2010, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Trailer for Skyline have been releases.

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/skyline/trailer

I does not look low budget to me, it looks huge in fact.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
              Trailer for Skyline have been releases.

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/skyline/trailer

I does not look low budget to me, it looks huge in fact.
              Definitely looks like something I might want to check out. I am very intrigued by the trailer.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Skyline poster

Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post

You may be right...I think the whole 'aliens attack a large city' premise has been a little overused lately
                  sigpic
                  ~the guitarists~

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                    Skyline poster

Spoiler:
                    Pretty sweet poster.
                    sigpic
                    "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Skyline.

What did you think of the movie? Did anybody saw the movie?

I have and I wish I didn't spend $5.00 to see that alien overpowering the humans. The best part was with the drone fight and that is all I like about. The rest of the movie I didn't care for.
                      sigpic
                      The Edge of the Night; contains love from the heart and soul, outpouring love to one and love one country.

Comment

That bad huh? I've been enjoying the ads, but I guess it's a "wait for DVD/BD" sort of movie huh?
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

i will go see this when it's almost out of the theater. mine is way to crowed to see movies when their come out
                          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I will see this at some point. Maybe when it comes out On-Demand.
                            sigpic
                            "...phu...ah..."

Comment

The aliens wins at the end. All they want is brains....
                              sigpic
                              The Edge of the Night; contains love from the heart and soul, outpouring love to one and love one country.

Comment

Working...
                              X