Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best intelligent sci-fi anime similar to Philip K Dick adaptation (beside blade)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best intelligent sci-fi anime similar to Philip K Dick adaptation (beside blade)?

A 5 seconds google search can give me the name of some of the best sci-fi anime. While still beeing a good subject of discussion, what I'm really looking for is if there's any sci-fi anime with the style I like for certain.

So I'm looking for some intelligent sci-fi anime movies in the style of K. Dick. beside Blade runner which is too slow and boring for me. For example, Total Recall, Daybreakers, The Island, Paycheck, Next, Minority Report, the Impostor, SG1's 2010, etc.

Most of the time it involve somebody in an alternate or futuristic world. The alternate/futuristic world become as interesting as the main plot of the movie. Those futuristic worlds also seems plausible (it's not a fantasy futuristic world where people are fighting robotic dragons). For example in the Island (Island spoiler) it was fun to see how the "fake" world was created with their highly monitored life. In minority report, it's fun to see how a thing like pre-crime could work and the dilemma it creates.

I just want to say that it's not the only great sci-fi style. I just feel like watching that type of movie.

Is there any anime of that style? What are the best ones?
    Last edited by Commander Zelix; 24 July 2010, 06:27 AM.
    Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

I can't really comment on the style of Dick, because I've never read any of his works. While I have seen a lot the movies based on his work, more than often they show the style of the writer and/or director of the movie as opposed to the creator of the source material.

When it comes to the best scifi anime that could be consider Dick like, I guess "Ghost In The Shell" (and it's sequel) would be a good start, as would the television series (and it's movie, but the series/movie are in a separate canon). It has everything, cyborgs, brain hacking, government conspiracies, technobabble. It's a great series and it's probably the closest you'd get to an anime Blade Runner

There is a movie called "The Sky Crawlers" which was done by the same guy who did "Ghost In The Shell" and involves clones, who are bred to be young and kept alive just so they can be shot down in aerial combat then bred again. Not exactly being harvest for organs in The Island, but in this it's done for entertainment.

You should also consider the first Patlabor movie.

sigpic

Comment

Ghost in the Shell and it's sequel, Ghost in the Shell: Innocence are good for 'post-cyberpunk' (haven't read any Philip K. Dick yet)

Read the manga/comic as well.

I'd also recommend the Ghost in the Shell series: Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and GitS: SAC: 2nd Gig. After those two, there's also a movie for the series: GitS: SAC: Solid State Society.
      Great story, art, animation, IMHO.

In general, anime made by Production IG are quite good. Studio Ghibli, too.
      sigpic

Comment

I am glad to help. Big PKDick fan. I don't think all the things you named were written by him though, I also don't think you are talking about his story's at all but the dumbed down film adaptations. Example Dick wrote "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" and it was far better than the film adaptation "Blade Runner."

I recommend Armitage III. Plenty of action and a great story. You might also like Nadesico if you can get past the silly parts of the earlier eps. Appleseed(By the same guy that did Ghost in the Shell- you will probable like the remake best) And Now and then, Here and There. I think they all fit what you are looking for-enjoy

Comment

Yeah...all I can think of is Ghost in the Shell...I love Stand Alone Complex and 2nd GIG.

Comment

Hmm...'Now and Then, Here and There'...that was one DEPRESSING anime
            (pretty, tho': great visuals/animation. The story's quite good, too, if memory serves...but dang: depressing )

While not an anime, the director of the Ghost in the Shell movie made a live-action cyberpunk-ish movie called 'Avalon'. It's worth checking out, IMHO.

As for the Appleseed anime: I think I still prefer the pre-3D one (basically, the first one). *shrugs*

Hmm. 'Intelligent' anime: there's also the politics (and 'talk') heavy 'Legend of the Galactic Heroes'. It's a space opera, tho'. And while I like the depictions of combat, there's not much in terms of exposition/explanation in regard to the setting's tech (i.e., how they travel, what mode their FTL is, how many worlds are inhabited, etc.)
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X