Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Faction: Origins - News/Discussion/Speculation

Syfy interested in 'Red Faction' pilot

Syfy has reportedly teamed up with gaming company THQ to make a Red Faction pilot.

According to Deadline, Red Faction: Origins will be a two-hour live action movie which could become a series.

The story will allegedly focus on Alec Mason and his family. It will be set in between the games Red Faction: Guerilla and Red Faction.

The script has been written by Andrew Kreisberg, who has previously worked on Warehouse 13, and the project will air in March 2011 to coincide with the release of Red Faction: Armageddon.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/new...ion-pilot.html

I'm not sure there is much point in calling it "Red Faction: Origins" when there is a 50 year gap between Red Faction (game 1) and Red Faction: Guerilla (game 3. Game 1 and 2 are 5 years apart), and the sequel to Guerilla (Armageddon, Game 4) is 50 years after that.

That said it would be interesting if they used "Old Coot" (Parker from the first game, but 50 years older in Guerilla) as well as Mason rather than just ignoring the first two games.

sigpic

Comment

Well I do enjoy the games so I hope this is good...

Comment

It's not the best videogame property to make a film or tv series out, Red Faction was essentially a bit of a rip off of the mars bits from Total Recall. Still could be entertaining if done right and might convince SYFY to look towards franchise like Mass Effect as well.

Comment

I'd love to see that!
          If I were a betting man I wouldn't say it'd do very well mind you, but I love the games so I'd at least watch!

Comment

I have a feeling this will be really cheesy. The game story itself isn't even that great.

Comment

Exclusive: Brian J. Smith takes lead role in 'Red Faction' movie

Brian J. Smith of "Stargate Universe" will play the lead role in Syfy's adaptation of the video game "Red Faction."

Smith, who stars as Lt. Matthew Scott on "SGU," currently is in Bulgaria to film "Red Faction: Origins" (a working title) in which he will portray Jake Mason. Robert Patrick plays Jakes, father, Alec, and Tamzin Merchant if his sister. In the film, Jake will battle to save the Martian Colonies from a threat that wants to take over the planet.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/show...#ixzz1BQTcdf5h

Comment

Wow. He got that job fast. Won't complain though, I liked him as Scott.

sigpic

Comment

There's video games out there that have much better stories. The cast and direction seems good though, lets see what happens.
                  sigpic

Comment

You don't play Red Faction for the story. You play it to blow **** up.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
                      You don't play Red Faction for the story. You play it to blow **** up.
                      That's why I originally played it. The Geo-Mod gameplay was great as I loved being able to blow a hole in anything.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                        That's why I originally played it. The Geo-Mod gameplay was great as I loved being able to blow a hole in anything.
                        Indeed! I remember that was the main reason I was so interested in it. Red Faction Guerilla was pretty fun to being able to blow up all the buildings and stuff. I remember playing the Beta for it and hammering people through walls! So much fun!

But the story has always been alright to me, its no Mass Effect or Deus Ex.

Comment

http://www.redfaction.com/blog-post/...miere-june-4th
                          http://uk.tv.ign.com/articles/116/1162161p1.html

Surprised this isn't more popular here, considering the 2 main stars ar SG veterans, the 3rd main star is Ellen Tigh from BSG, it's being directed by a BSG Director and being scored by bear McCreary,

Spoiler:
                          Disclaimer:
                          I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                          Quotes!
                          - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                          - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                          - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                          sigpic

Comment

I havent seen any promotion for this....anywhere. I'll still watch, but syfy need to take some lessons from HBO in promoting their stuff.
                            sigpic

Comment

I am not a fan of the Red Faction games, but I am REALLY looking forward to this. The cast is fantastic, and the production team (i.e. writer of Fringe, director of Battlestar Galactica and Caprica) seem to be able to handle it. I also like how it is set in the actual Red Faction timeline, but in the one hundred years of so between Guerrilla and Armageddon; they have a lot of creative freedom.

I asked Brian J. Smith on Twitter if it would have the same character driven approach as BSG and SGU, and he said that it would, but there would be some great action sequences as well. I am really glad that they are taking the character route and adding some thematic depth to it (family, redemptipon etc. with a lot of American Revolution and communist parallels). I think that it'll be cool to see Smith play a more badass character, and from that production still, the production values look brilliant (Smith's costume is awesome).

This interview with Smith is really interesting and gives a great insight into his role, the other casts, why the film won't suck and what it was like filming in Bulgaria.

I hope that it is good, and then I hope that it gets a season pick-up. Could be a great new sci-fi show
                              Last edited by Mr Evil 37; 22 April 2011, 04:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X