PDA

View Full Version : Who should be in command of Destiny?

KatG
June 23rd, 2010, 01:34 PM
Cast your vote

Replicator Todd
June 23rd, 2010, 01:50 PM
A little hard to choose, but I think Camille would be in command. It might have become a military operation know but civilians should be in charge IMO. Then again she is part of the evil IOA.....it would be fun to see Kiva as the commander of Destiny for a few episodes! :D

jelgate
June 23rd, 2010, 02:01 PM
Obviously it should be BAG. But since that isn't very realastic. I say you stick with Young. Its a military base so it boils down to Telford or Young and I think has more experence then Telford

Ser Scot A Ellison
June 23rd, 2010, 02:04 PM
I think the Ship should be in command. As they don't have control anyway, isn't it?

:P

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 23rd, 2010, 02:17 PM
Young should remain in command but I would have no objections to a shared role, with Camille, provided she stops her scheming

bobsuncorp
June 23rd, 2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks to KatG for putting up this thread suggestion I made on another post.

I would really appreciate it though if people could put themselves in the position of the crew when they make their choice. Meaning that if you choose a commander, thats it. No temporary commanders, nobody able to "try it out and see". If you think someone deserves the job, vote for them. If you want to take a chance on someone who is untested in command, then fine. But please make your choice remembering that once they are there, you ain't getting anyone else.

I think thats the only way we will get a fair and considered poll, rather than a bunch of numbers that don't really reflect how people feel.

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 23rd, 2010, 02:22 PM
...adds an evil mwahahahha after that. Yep, it's one thing to want rid of someone but something else altogether to put in someone untested for the role, and be stuck with them when stuff goes south

J-Whitt Remastered
June 23rd, 2010, 02:32 PM
I said Telford. It was supposed to be his command to begin with after all. Obviously even with him being brainwashed the SGC thought his service record was good enough to tell him he was going to be in charge once they stepped through the 'Gate.

General Jumper One
June 23rd, 2010, 03:05 PM
I said other, Lt. Colonel John Sheppard or Mr. Woolsey or General Jack O'Neill

Pharaoh Atem
June 23rd, 2010, 03:29 PM
David telford :cameron21:

s09119
June 23rd, 2010, 03:38 PM
For me, it's a toss-up between Rush and Young. One will do whatever it takes to survive, which may be what they need against enemies like the Smurfs and the Lucian Alliance, but the other has shown to be capable and caring about his crew, although that compassion has sometimes led to hesitation that has cost them dearly.

Kermee
June 23rd, 2010, 04:13 PM
I say Young, with Telford as second-in-command.

AtlantisRules!!!
June 23rd, 2010, 05:08 PM
Aww.. I'm the only one who thinks Rush? :P He understands that some may need to be sacrificed in order to save the rest. Young does not seem to and is lucky that he has mostly managed to save everyone

jelgate
June 23rd, 2010, 05:10 PM
Aww.. I'm the only one who thinks Rush? :P
Yep. His sacrificing of human life is a bad leadership trail

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
June 23rd, 2010, 05:15 PM
If General O'Neill was in command boy that ship would be dealing with leader of epic proportions.

tomstone
June 23rd, 2010, 07:18 PM
I think Wray would be a good head of the mission. Although I would love to see Eli doing some tactics. A skilled computerplayer with aceptable knowledge of the ships systems, could play pinball with the LA so they think they stumbled into Wonderland.

Lt. Jeffer
June 23rd, 2010, 08:56 PM
I think Young, Rush and Wray should share the command. When something happend like an encounter with alien or explore planets than Young should make the desicions when something science related happen than Rush and the same with Wray and the civilian

Orion Antreas
June 23rd, 2010, 09:30 PM
I chose Young. While Young has many flaws about him, I really believe he is a sincere person and tries to do his best protecting people. Sometimes he has a personal agenda, but that is part of human nature, and becomes more prevalent in a tough, survival situation. I don't know, I just feel like I can trust Young more than Rush. Wray just makes me cringe because she is a bureaucrat, and while she can be sincere, I feel bureaucrats are more out for themselves than a military leader.

After all, in my humble opinion, I believe that soldiers live the life of sacrifice, while bureaucrats live a life for their own personal gain. So yeah, I believe Young would be best to lead and keep me alive. And yeah, Young seemed to screw up big time in Incursion, but he is human, and I believe he would sacrifice his life to save everyone on board the ship if he could.

EDIT: On a bit of a side note, who is 'BAG'? Looks like an acronym for someone's name, but I ain't sure. I've seen this around the forums many times and have been puzzled.

Lt. Jeffer
June 23rd, 2010, 10:14 PM
EDIT: On a bit of a side note, who is 'BAG'? Looks like an acronym for someone's name, but I ain't sure. I've seen this around the forums many times and have been puzzled.

BAG is our God and it stands for balding asian guy
http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/74262-SAVE-BALDING-ASIAN-GUY-*Faith-Spoilers*

Ser Scot A Ellison
June 24th, 2010, 05:30 AM
Wow,

Telford's winning. Methinks Gen. O'Neill may have some options here.

;)

bobsuncorp
June 24th, 2010, 05:37 AM
BAG is our God and it stands for balding asian guy
http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/74262-SAVE-BALDING-ASIAN-GUY-*Faith-Spoilers*

So it's not a serious answer. So those votes can be discounted.

General Jumper One
June 24th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Wow,

Telford's winning. Methinks Gen. O'Neill may have some options here.

;)

Actually Telford and Young tie

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 24th, 2010, 06:50 AM
and BAG is quick coming up from behind :D

Kelara
June 24th, 2010, 08:18 AM
BAGs votes should automatically get distributed among every female on the list, because they all deserve one ;).

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 24th, 2010, 08:23 AM
BAGs votes should automatically get distributed among every female on the list, because they all deserve one ;).

if no one votes for them, doesn;t that say something in itself?

Kelara
June 24th, 2010, 11:01 AM
if no one votes for them, doesn;t that say something in itself?

Sure. Want to enter a long, drawn out, fun debate what exactly that would say ;)? Cause I can think of a few different angles to analyze that fact from. Though at the time of this post the only one with zero votes is Lt. Scott.

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 24th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Sure. Want to enter a long, drawn out, fun debate what exactly that would say ;)? Cause I can think of a few different angles to analyze that fact from. Though at the time of this post the only one with zero votes is Lt. Scott.

those kinds of debates are always fun :)

Camille a 3 and TJ at two - apparently someone thinks they're able to lead. It is interesting that no one thinks Scott should lead. Maybe BAG's votes should go to Scott, if we're going to consider your vote sharing idea, or is there a reason why that would be bad? (I think there is but it'd be neat to know why others would think so)

Kelara
June 24th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Maybe BAG's votes should go to Scott, if we're going to consider your vote sharing idea, or is there a reason why that would be bad? (I think there is but it'd be neat to know why others would think so)

You're not suggesting Scott should be BAGged, now, do you ;)?

If anything, the BAGs votes should maybe be counted as "none of the above"... that might half way preserve the credibility of this vote, if one is looking for that *shrug*.

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 24th, 2010, 12:10 PM
You're not suggesting Scott should be BAGged, now, do you ;)?

If anything, the BAGs votes should maybe be counted as "none of the above"... that might half way preserve the credibility of this vote, if one is looking for that *shrug*.

well, it's not really something to be taken that seriously, it's supposed to be a bit of a what-if and a bit of fun :)
As for Scott and ...yeah, well, no :p

The_Carpenter
June 24th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Rush he is able to make the tough calls, something Young has repeatedly failed to do! other than attempting to murder a civilian perhaps....

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 24th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Rush he is able to make the tough calls, something Young has repeatedly failed to do! other than attempting to murder a civilian perhaps....

*eyeroll*
This is supposed to be fun, let's not have it turn into who murdered who (especially when no one got murdered at all) or have it turn into the "I hate so and so thread". Or BAG will come down and pelt us all with earth shattering gobs of balled up paper from His Notebook and that will be the end of that.

Artemis-Neith
June 24th, 2010, 12:49 PM
*eyeroll*
This is supposed to be fun, let's not have it turn into who murdered who (especially when no one got murdered at all) or have it turn into the "I hate so and so thread". Or BAG will come down and pelt us all with earth shattering gobs of balled up paper from His Notebook and that will be the end of that.

In this case....

There's only one! BAG for President! Who else?

Control_Chair
June 24th, 2010, 01:29 PM
It a tough call but I vote for BAG and Riley to be joint leaders.

The_Carpenter
June 24th, 2010, 01:41 PM
*eyeroll*
This is supposed to be fun, let's not have it turn into who murdered who (especially when no one got murdered at all|) or have it turn into the "I hate so and so thread". Or BAG will come down and pelt us all with earth shattering gobs of balled up paper from His Notebook and that will be the end of that.

Hence attempted murder which last I checked is still a crime.

Anyway fun... Rush for command as he gave whack any Aliens with metal pipes or give them a good Glaswegian Kiss.

jelgate
June 24th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Hence attempted murder which last I checked is still a crime.

Anyway fun... Rush for command as he gave whack any Aliens with metal pipes or give them a good Glaswegian Kiss.

Framing a person for a murder is a crime too. Never mind 80+ charges of reckless endangerment.

Petra
June 24th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Answering thread's question turned out to be more difficult than I'd expected. My first thought was Young (and eventually I voted for him) because he made the show so entertaining thus far. :D More seriously, he seems to care the most about the crew, seems to be the most remorseful about his mistakes, most frank about them, selfless and willing to sacrifice himself for his people's sake. All good leadership qualities. However we all know his decision making process, especially under duress, isn't that good and he tends to let emotions dictate his moves. That's why I think the best course of action would be Young & Wray's joint command. I believe she would calm him down and wouldn't be afraid to stand up to him.

I considered Telford, but then disregarded him because at this point I feel I don't know enough about him. I like what I saw in Incursion, but it's too little to base decision on. The argument that he must be good because he was chosen for the mission in the first place doesn't work for me because at this point he could have been already brainwashed, ergo wasn't acting like himself.

I considered TJ, but I think she's still too inexperienced and I'm afraid she'd have to choose between command and medical duties.

Camille works for the civilians but not for the military, so as I said: joint command with Young.

In the ideal world of course I'd love to have Jack in command, to see more of his tough Black Ops officer persona, but this is not his show, so he got disqualified because of that. :)

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 24th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Answering thread's question turned out to be more difficult than I'd expected. My first thought was Young (and eventually I voted for him) because he made the show so entertaining thus far. :D More seriously, he seems to care the most about the crew, seems to be the most remorseful about his mistakes, most frank about them, selfless and willing to sacrifice himself for his people's sake. All good leadership qualities. However we all know his decision making process, especially under duress, isn't that good and he tends to let emotions dictate his moves. That's why I think the best course of action would be Young & Wray's joint command. I believe she would calm him down and wouldn't be afraid to stand up to him.

I considered Telford, but then disregarded him because at this point I feel I don't know enough about him. I like what I saw in Incursion, but it's too little to base decision on. The argument that he must be good because he was chosen for the mission in the first place doesn't work for me because at this point he could have been already brainwashed, ergo wasn't acting like himself.

I considered TJ, but I think she's still too inexperienced and I'm afraid she'd have to choose between command and medical duties.

Camille works for the civilians but not for the military, so as I said: joint command with Young.

In the ideal world of course I'd love to have Jack in command, to see more of his tough Black Ops officer persona, but this is not his show, so he got disqualified because of that. :)

I'm really hoping that Wray steps up during season 2. I liked her working WITH Young during the 2 Incursion episodes and it gives me hope that she's capable. I still think Young should remain in command but sharing with Wray (provided Wray can stop her scheming) would probably ease some of the burden on him

Kelara
June 24th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I'm really hoping that Wray steps up during season 2. I liked her working WITH Young during the 2 Incursion episodes and it gives me hope that she's capable. I still think Young should remain in command but sharing with Wray (provided Wray can stop her scheming) would probably ease some of the burden on him

Problem is, he would have to start communicating. With Wray. I'm not sure that is as easy for the guy as it should be.

jmoz
June 24th, 2010, 04:00 PM
The Smurf aliens should be in charge. They work together and have common goals.

Egle01
June 25th, 2010, 04:04 AM
Hmm. Tough one. Without having seen much of Telford in command, I'll choose Young.

wargrafix
June 25th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Young, because telford is a douche.

FallenAngelII
June 26th, 2010, 03:26 AM
Who was brainwashed...

Young is just incompetent by nature.

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
June 26th, 2010, 08:36 PM
I betcha anything Telford is a good leader by heart. and if he makes it I would love to see what his leadership style is like.

Pharaoh Atem
June 26th, 2010, 08:39 PM

was, he's back to his old self now

nx01a
June 27th, 2010, 02:49 PM
TJ!
If not... Young with Wray and Rush as advisors.

beafly
June 28th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I vote for whomever that chick is smoking a cigar in Pharaoh Atem's sig.

beafly
June 28th, 2010, 11:48 AM
... or Riddick.

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 28th, 2010, 11:52 AM
... or Riddick.

that works for me on so many levels :p

GenieinaZPM
June 28th, 2010, 12:20 PM
I think the current combination of Rush and Young is working fine, provided they ironed out some differences. Young is doing a good job at protecting everyone (for the most part) and Rush is in charge of getting everyone home. As long as they can get along, they'd work great as a team

jelgate
June 28th, 2010, 01:27 PM
I think the current combination of Rush and Young is working fine, provided they ironed out some differences. Young is doing a good job at protecting everyone (for the most part) and Rush is in charge of getting everyone home. As long as they can get along, they'd work great as a team

That scares me. Rush have proven that he doesn't want to get home

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 28th, 2010, 01:32 PM
That scares me. Rush have proven that he doesn't want to get home

indeed!
I wouldn't trust Rush on this matter at all

drallafi
July 1st, 2010, 01:16 PM
Adama.

General Jumper One
July 1st, 2010, 05:55 PM
indeed!
I wouldn't trust Rush on this matter at all

it won't let me green you for Avatar and Sig, so mental green :D

------------

General Hammond should command Destiny

Shai Hulud
July 3rd, 2010, 06:06 AM
Greer. Greer should be in charge.

Lord Yu
August 3rd, 2010, 01:25 PM
I think that although Colonel Young has his faults, he is best suited for command over anyone else on that ship.
Firstly i would argue that Icarus was a military base. That is where everyone came from. And until ordered otherwise, the Destiny is officially a military vessel.
Although Camille has the crews best interests at heart she is not fit to be a leader, she lacks the strong will to do what needs to be done.
I personally like rush, but he has no leadership skills at all.

So I will go with my assessment that Col. Young is the best fitted for Command on the Destiny.

Doctor Freeman
August 3rd, 2010, 01:48 PM
It's probably too namby pamby for a TV show but the civilians should put it to a vote.

The one thing that lessens my enjoyment of Universe is the military ruling by threat of violence.

Kermee
August 3rd, 2010, 04:27 PM
Since Destiny is a battleship, the commander of Destiny should be the person with the most battle experience.
That would be Col. Young.

morsu
August 3rd, 2010, 05:27 PM
Up until recently Young has always done what is best for the Ship and Crew so my money is on Young.
Young was put in a hard position recently involving Telford. For most of the season Young though that Telford was a real peice of work but when he found out that Telford was indeed Brainwashed that changed the whole dynamic of the Situation. He realized that Telford really was not himself and if he could break his brainwashing he would have the real Telford Back.

He took achance on Saving a high ranking officer which might have benefitted the crew later on.
I dont think he can be faulted for thinking that way. Yes a few people got killed but that's part of war.

You could argue that if he didn't try to save him and vented the air only Telford would have died along with the Insurgents and that it would be an acceptable loss and hind sight is a beauterful thing, But that may not have worked anyway because the alliance had the keys to the doors and could have got out in time anyway.

Telford did show that he was trying to redeem himself and he did take out the leader at his own expense.
This is exactly the sort of person you need when things get tough so I think Young made the right choice.

kwlafayette
August 4th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Anyone who says Young, must be looking forward to the inventive ways he is going to get everyone killed in. A freaking old dried up potato would be a better choice than Young at this point. That is right, vegetable matter would give that crew a better chance of survival than being commanded by Young.

morsu
August 5th, 2010, 03:36 AM
Anyone who says Young, must be looking forward to the inventive ways he is going to get everyone killed in. A freaking old dried up potato would be a better choice than Young at this point. That is right, vegetable matter would give that crew a better chance of survival than being commanded by Young.

What ways are you refering to? I think Young has done a bang up job with the limited Resources. He has to babysit all the civilians, not to mention that arrogant self centered ass of a person (by the way I am refering to Rush) who keeps trying to manipulaute the situation just so he can be in control of the ship. He always has his own agenda's. He thinks just because he has a PHD or what ever the hell he has got gives him the right to be in charge.

Rush staged a mutiny for crying out loud all because Young would not do everything he wanted. Rush is on that mission as a scientist not a Commander. He is there to advise only and look after the technical side of things not to Command.

Rush has spent his whole life studying science ETC where Young has spent his whole life learing how to Command.
I'm not saying that Young has done everything right. Far from it but even the most experienced people make mistakes.

There out in the middle of nowhere with god knows how many hostile beings around, of course the military should be in charge.

juggernaut975
August 12th, 2010, 05:44 AM
Young.

Telford looks like a better choice on paper. He was originally going to be in charge before their early departure from Icarus but it fell to Young instead.

And I think he's done well considering the rather extreme circumstances they were thrust into.

So in ideal circumstances one would look to Telford but things are far from ideal. They're stuck on the other side of the universe with little hope of getting home. The fact that the vast majority of them are not only alive but thriving is a testament to Young's capabilities.

Kaiphantom
August 18th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Not a very good poll. You have a joke option with BAG, and the "Other" and "none of the above" categories could be merged.

Anyway, I said Camille, but it's more because I want to better see how she would lead. Either give her enough time to prove her worth... or enough rope to hang herself.

Young has cracked and made one too many bad decisions which has jeopardized the lives of the crew.

Rush has no real interest in overall leading, and his gruff, cold, logical leadership wouldn't be accepted.

Scott and Eli aren't experienced enough. Tamara is too emotional, and can barely handle being a medic. Telford wouldn't exactly be trusted yet, although after giving Camille a 8 or so months to lead, if she fails, that would give Telford time to earn trust back and perhaps put him up next in the leadership rotation.

Tallifer
October 23rd, 2010, 07:43 AM
Dr. Rush for certain. He is almost always proved right, and the purpose of the expedition is science not war.

garhkal
October 25th, 2010, 05:57 AM
For the heck of it..

ELI!

wolverine_nl
November 1st, 2010, 07:47 AM
Eli all the way!

rushy
November 1st, 2010, 07:56 AM
100% Dr. Nicholas Rush. Nothing beats that character. Not
Rodney's arrogance
Young's "We're tough"
Wray's "Civilians in charge"
Eli's childness and computer geniusness.
Telford's "I rule" or "You rule, but I'm in the loop"
Zelenka's mumbling
Weir Do's Command
O'Neill's sense of humor
a.s.o
Nothing can beat Rush.

morsu
November 7th, 2010, 09:38 PM
100% Dr. Nicholas Rush. Nothing beats that character. Not
Rodney's arrogance
Young's "We're tough"
Wray's "Civilians in charge"
Eli's childness and computer geniusness.
Telford's "I rule" or "You rule, but I'm in the loop"
Zelenka's mumbling
Weir Do's Command
O'Neill's sense of humor
a.s.o
Nothing can beat Rush.

Yeah Well your mate rush is going to have his ass handed to him in the next episode .
And I will be full of Joy.

Sami_
November 7th, 2010, 09:48 PM
I find it funny that Scott has no votes yet Wray and Rush wanted him to be in command in the last episode.
:lol:

morsu
November 8th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I find it funny that Scott has no votes yet Wray and Rush wanted him to be in command in the last episode.
:lol:

Yes it is Funny. They are still looking for a reason to get Young out of the Way.
They obviously think they can control Scott Better.

Lainier
November 8th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Young. The military trust him and he cares about the crew.

garhkal
November 9th, 2010, 03:15 AM
I think that is cause scott is still young and more 'malleable.

Colonel Rebel
November 16th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Chloe. She has the brains and the .....lol, just kidding. I love the girl though, she might be my favorite character, but I voted for Young.

Kelara
November 19th, 2010, 03:14 AM
I'm sticking with Telford. Get the guy back already ;)!

Mozzza
November 26th, 2010, 03:12 AM
I'd go Rush because he doesn't want to go home :)