Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Might be writing a sci-fi novel sometime soon...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might be writing a sci-fi novel sometime soon...

I have an idea for a book floating around in my head but I don't think I have enough ideas to actually make it a full length novel yet. I have a basic outline planned for at least 3 books but I need some more ideas for adventure and action in the book, otherwise the story line would be very boring.

So, what would you like to see in a science fiction novel that maybe you can't find in a good sci-fi book these days? Give me some ideas people.

Also, what would a good ancient space ship look like? Should I base it off of the ships in Stargate? Or should I try to come up with something unique? What is a more feasible method of transportation? Warp speed, hyperspace, wormhole travel (instant travel like the stargates), or something else all together?

The story line will be set in the near future (late 2012, early 2013) and will be similar to stargate due to the fact that the humans will continue using projectile weapons and as much earth tech as they can and it will all be top secret (general public won't know about it).

You could model an ancient space ship off the ones in the show(s) but you might not want to make it any closer to stargate than it's already going to be... i would do a google image search for space ships or some other similar terms and mix and match between different qualities that you like... not that i know anything about this kind of thing, but that is where i would start... as for what to include in your novel action-wise, you can't go wrong with time travel or an alternate version of eath that needs to be fixed by the heroes to be
    "The sea is emotion incarnate. It loves, hates, & weeps. It defies all attempts to capture it with words and rejects all shackles. No matter what you say about it, there is always that which you can't."
    -Brom in Eragon

Comment

Sorry, I try to keep my ideas to myself so that I can use them
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I've always got a kick out of most sci fi shows, the ships are some what aerodynamic. Why?????? There is no air or atmosphere in space to cause resistance or need "lift" with some wings. In star trek i always thought the borg cube was one of the most practicle and efficient ships in a sci fi show ( i didn't say they were the coolest looking!) So be imaginative!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          Sorry, I try to keep my ideas to myself so that I can use them
          ^^this
          sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

ion drive. it already exists but sounds ridiculously sci-fi
            An Axe age, A Sword age, Shields are sundered,
            A Wind age, A Wolf age, Ere the World falls,
            And no Man shall spare Another.

Driving fast has never killed anyone. Suddenly coming to a halt, that has killed many, many people

The Pope, an Irishman and an Italian are walking down a street, when one of them says "Hey look guys! A bar!"

Comment

For the writing part, I'd suggest this site : http://www.writesf.com/

Are you asking for suggestions regarding aliens, tech, things of sci-fi nature?

For ideas, to me there's basically two kinds of sci-fi regarding the science part: you have either realism where you try to use half-assed science concepts to foresee a likely future in terms of technological development or you have the fantasy kind, where you just make up things as you go along with light focus on scientific realism, like space krakens with internal biological lightspeed engines or something.

Story-wise, almost all of sci-fi tend to be either epics (giant galactic war, some major change in society, etc.) and/or first contact (with aliens and such and the subsequent events of that) and/or localized/personal (sorta biographical study of one or a few characters for the most part in a sci-fi setting).

So, first you gotta decide what do you think you'd have an easier time writing depending on your tastes or what you'd like to write. Then work from there.
              Last edited by jmoz; 22 June 2010, 05:46 PM.

Comment

For spaceships you might want to check some science shows such as The Universe on the History Channel, for some ideas.

Since I have a little more free time now that I'm done with school, I'm working on a few books. I've got a plan for my own science fiction novel involving a colony of separatist who set out to create a perfect world. It's going to focus on the kids of the colonist's leader, and their eventual dealings with a ship from Earth. Another idea I've had that might go into this or a sequel is the theme of cybernetics and if one would be giving up their humanity if they replace too much of their body and brain with machines. I hope these ideas are of some use.

I'm planning on getting to that as soon as I finish my horror novel based on a creepy dream I had.

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
                For the writing part, I'd suggest this site : http://www.writesf.com/
                Interesting site, I'll have to take a look.
                sigpic

Comment

I am afraid I am with Digfluid i, I am keeping my ideas to myself.

I trying to write my own scifi novel at the moment going very slowly through an planning to use many of my ideas in that universe.

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. It has given me much to think about. I'll post an update here in a few months when I get some time to write. I've been really busy lately.

Comment

Gonna suggest another site where I think it's a more "intellectual" venue for writing sorta. You should check it out, the entire site even, but just gonna provide the link for the writing section of it. Discusses all sorts of sci-fi and/or fantasy writing things. Hold on.

http://www.sffworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10

Comment

Hi,
                        I wrote my first sci-fi space story just before Firefly came out. I decided to just create my own world and start with a blank slate. It ended, I'm told being like early Dr Who meets Captain Kirk in a Firefly like situation. and one magazine review compared it to Farscape
                        I found this fascinating in that I hadn't seen early Dr Who and I knew nothing about the existence of Firefly. I was up late one night reading my script when the first episode came on. I wondered what it was and watched it...and then OMG he's taken some of my ideas...who's the spy around here!
                        My story stands well on it's own however and became a nice feature film as a series pilot. The story was really way to complex for a movie and so I'm now doing it as a series of films (like Star Wars) where I can do justice to the original concept.
                        I think if you try to copy someone else's work, you limit your own creativity, even though you do find that we often imagine similar events which is a reflection of our own lives and experiences.
                        BTW. My film should be out later this year.. The pilot found its way all over the world and is more popular now than when I released it. It sold out despite the abundant supply of pirate copies and we are going to re-release it again later.
                        http://youtu.be/mXiMpdrapgg(Lazlo's latest movie "Space Captain"http://orionspace.info/index.php Lazlo's home
                        sigpic

Comment

What is it?

Comment

I'll let you know when it's finished...We're debating names at the moment and I don't want to release to much info due to some marketing issues.
                            http://youtu.be/mXiMpdrapgg(Lazlo's latest movie "Space Captain"http://orionspace.info/index.php Lazlo's home
                            sigpic

Comment

Cool, maybe start up your own thread when you guys decide on things. Look forward to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X