PDA

View Full Version : The Greer ploy.

Kanten
June 12th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Seemed a bit of a risky maneuver to try don't you think? Young knew full well that the LA had at least one spy on Icarus, what's to say they didn't have intel on the personnel? I was half-expecting Kiva to call him out on it when he tried to introduce Greer as a medic.

Paladine
June 12th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Maybe he really does have medical training though. This might have been foreshadowing for Greer to display some real medical skills in a future episode. Obviously hes a soldier first, but he could have medic friends and learned a few things.

Nadji
June 12th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Young did not introduce him as 'Sergeant Greer' did he?

fmbchris
June 12th, 2010, 11:10 PM
don't forget Greer as an inventor! Oh the plot thickens

jelgate
June 13th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Maybe he really does have medical training though. This might have been foreshadowing for Greer to display some real medical skills in a future episode. Obviously hes a soldier first, but he could have medic friends and learned a few things.

It that was true he would have been helping TJ in past episodes when medical concerns came up

MattSilver 3k
June 13th, 2010, 04:15 AM
It that was true he would have been helping TJ in past episodes when medical concerns came up

He did in Sabotage.

jelgate
June 13th, 2010, 04:24 AM
He did in Sabotage.

But doing medical work?

garhkal
June 13th, 2010, 06:37 AM
I don't remember seeing him helping out TJ in sabotage..

sskeith
June 13th, 2010, 09:37 AM
I don't remember seeing him helping out TJ in sabotage..

he came in right after the ship dropped out and said something like " TJ what can we help you with".

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 13th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Seemed a bit of a risky maneuver to try don't you think? Young knew full well that the LA had at least one spy on Icarus, what's to say they didn't have intel on the personnel? I was half-expecting Kiva to call him out on it when he tried to introduce Greer as a medic.

they had to try something and sending a soldier/FBI agent/cop in as a medic is pretty standard fare for any number of shows

MattSilver 3k
June 13th, 2010, 10:45 AM
But doing medical work?

His exact quote to TJ: "Put [me and Park] to work!"

TJ points, Greer goes off and plays doctor.

Pharaoh Atem
June 13th, 2010, 10:49 AM

greer didn't seem to compassionate to scott in air pt 3 when scott was nearly dying from heat exsuagtion

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 13th, 2010, 10:50 AM
His exact quote to TJ: "Put [me and Park] to work!"

TJ points, Greer goes off and plays doctor.

yeah, I'm sure he's seen, and made, enough messes of people that he could bandage someone up or ask if they're okay. If nothing else, he's muscle and can help move people around.

I'm not a medic either and I could manage the absolute basics too, probably a lot of us could pull it off once we got used to the sight of blood and I think Greer's past that :)

Major_Griff
June 13th, 2010, 10:55 AM
greer didn't seem to compassionate to scott in air pt 3 when scott was nearly dying from heat exsuagtion

To be fair, he was trying to get him back to the gate before they were stranded. They didn't have time for Greer to assess Scott's medical condition and then try to treat him.

And doesn't everyone in the military get basic field medical training? Dressing wounds and such?

brian_177
June 13th, 2010, 11:08 AM

You don't die from heat exhaustion, you die from heat stroke--and he wasn't quite there yet. As an example, sometimes a nurse might have to force an elderly patient to walk even if he or she wants to use a wheel chair, because in the end it helps the person and if they really are incapable of walking, their body wouldn't let them. So in the Air Pt 3 situation, Greer saves Scott's life by forcing him to run, even if on the surface it seems mean.

I definitely don't think that Greer has medical training, though, except perhaps standard first aid skills, which make him perfectly capable of bandaging and other basics. I think trying to pass him off as a medic was just an attempt by Young to get TJ out--there isn't really any strategic advantage having Greer as an unarmed hostage with the LA gang. In fact, he's the kind of guy that they'll definitely want with a weapon in his hand when the time comes to take the ship back by force.

Pharaoh Atem
June 13th, 2010, 11:29 AM
And doesn't everyone in the military get basic field medical training? Dressing wounds and such?

ask me in 4 months :)

Utitan
June 13th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Your answer is yes, you do get Basic field Med training, but nothing like digging a bullet out. You're taught how to dress wounds, sucking chest wounds, open abdominal wounds, fractures, heat casualties etc, etc to prolong life until proper med treatment is available. With his rank and MOS(military occupational specialty) I'm sure he has had some more advanced field training and could fill in as a medic if needed.

Phenom
June 14th, 2010, 04:23 AM
It seemed a very risky tactic and one where I couldn't really see where it was headed which didn't involve a lot of shooting. Bit of a desperate last ditch move by Young and to be honest, Greer isn't a medics rear end. He is a soldier and that is the only role that he can play realistically. Undercover operative he is not.

Commander Zelix
June 14th, 2010, 01:32 PM
As someone above said, I hope he really had medic training, because their whatever plan they had in mind wouldn't have last long if he couldn't make some stitches.

brian_177
June 14th, 2010, 02:36 PM
As someone above said, I hope he really had medic training, because their whatever plan they had in mind wouldn't have last long if he couldn't make some stitches.

Young never intended Greer to actually go over to the other side, I don't think. That's why Greer was armed and he had troops behind the door. His intention was to take Kiva and her guards captive to gain some desperately needed leverage. If Greer's medical skills were actually put to the test I have a feeling things would have gone very bad for him very quickly.