PDA

View Full Version : Same character or just same actor?

el capitain
June 12th, 2010, 05:38 PM
I noticed that the LA guy who T.J. stitched up looks remarkably similar to the runner that the team in stargate atlantis 'ran' into (lol) - the one who kidnapped dr. keller so that she would look after the little girl.
Any thoughts?

Morganrone93
June 12th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Yes its the same dude, actually if I remember right, he was in the LA from SG-1 aswell, as another character, however, there is still speculations that hes undercover as another person, but he is the same guy from SG-1, so, a double undercover cross show agent, err, dude?

Blurry writing, need, sleep.

jelgate
June 12th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Canada has a small acting pool

JustAnotherVoice
June 12th, 2010, 07:01 PM

Or the Milky Way's gene pool is smaller than we thought. Vala could have been onto something, you know!

Kanten
June 12th, 2010, 07:27 PM

Still seems pretty random and silly to have him play a Lucian Alliance guy when he already played a Lucian Alliance guy, the one who killed Netan no less.

smart
June 12th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I do not think it is possible for the character to be the one from Atlantis' Tracker since as far as we know the LA have not been apart of the Pegasus Galaxy. The character also had a history in Pegasus as being a runner from the Wraith . I therefore think that the actor is playing another character from the one in Atlantis.

NormaN
June 12th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Still seems pretty random and silly to have him play a Lucian Alliance guy when he already played a Lucian Alliance guy, the one who killed Netan no less.

Who ever said he was Lucian Alliance? Wasn't he just a bounty hunter?

Infinite-Possibilities
June 12th, 2010, 08:38 PM
This character seems to be very different than the bounty hunter in SG-1 so I imagine it's not supposed to be him. It's not like there haven't been 3 different people from across the universe who seem to look remarkably similar to each other in the 3 shows but this seems especially noticeable.

At least it's not like that time Carter and Weir manage to date the same person.

Pharaoh Atem
June 12th, 2010, 08:43 PM
I noticed that the LA guy who T.J. stitched up looks remarkably similar to the runner that the team in stargate atlantis 'ran' into (lol) - the one who kidnapped dr. keller so that she would look after the little girl.
Any thoughts?

their kidnapped him and brainwashed him

Jakerod
June 12th, 2010, 08:55 PM
I actually think he played 4 people now. Varro, the runner, the bounty hunter, and some Russian guy in one of the SG-1 episodes.

Stormtrooper
June 12th, 2010, 08:59 PM
http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Ruslan_Chernovshev
http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Odai_Ventrell
http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Kiryk
http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Varro

^ This is damn funny if you ask me :D

The guy has more faces than B.A.G.

MattSilver 3k
June 12th, 2010, 11:13 PM
You know what? I hope this guy dies on the show and doesn't show up for anymore episodes. 'Cause seriously, we're getting these threads weekly as long as Mike Dopud remains on the show.

Demerzel
June 12th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Mike Dopud is awesome, I hope he stays since this show is made that much more awesome by having a Quebec-born actor in it :P. As much as I would have liked him to be playing Ventrell, it wouldn't have made sense for him to be an underling to someone we had never heard of before. I still think Ventrell never joined the alliance and simply collected a very big bounty, or maybe even got killed by one of the lieutenants.

But I agree that he's played a lot of characters in the franchise, maybe too many for someone with such a unique face. At least Brody's previous SG-1 character wasn't very memorable, neither was Volker's.

meo3000
June 13th, 2010, 02:18 AM
They couldve use any other actor for that role but decided to hire Mike Dopud, a guy that just happened to play a bounty hunter who actually had dealings with the LA before. That Sg1 episode was not 10 years ago, it was the 15th episode of the last season, 3 years ago. Maybe Ventrell changed his name after killing Nethan and made a life for himself working for another faction of the LA.

In Subversion, when Daniel is on the roof, he takes two pictures, Rush/Telford first and Varro second, then he snaps away when Kiva arrives. That says to me that Varro is important. Then we are shown that Varoo is not like every other LA thug, theres something on his mind.

ONeill4tW
June 13th, 2010, 02:53 AM
Here's an easy answer: He's an ascended trickster! He goes around making up new personalities and has fun with the humans without actually breaking the rules. Think Loki, the trickster god not the Asgard scientist.

garhkal
June 13th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Wow. Knew of the other 2, but did not know he played a russian as well.

gotthammer
June 13th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Here's an easy answer: He's an ascended trickster! He goes around making up new personalities and has fun with the humans without actually breaking the rules. Think Loki, the trickster god not the Asgard scientist.

would be cool & funny, IMHO, if that were true. :D

I kinda have this feeling that he's one of those characters that's "more than what he seems" *shrugs*
Maybe he's still Ventrell, after all. :D

ONeill4tW
June 13th, 2010, 11:05 AM
would be cool & funny, IMHO, if that were true. :D

I kinda have this feeling that he's one of those characters that's "more than what he seems" *shrugs*
Maybe he's still Ventrell, after all. :D

Indeed. I mean the Ascended has got to have at least one mischievous, bored ascended among them. It would make sense if one of them was clever enough to be able to bend the rules and have fun. Heh

hedwig
June 13th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Any thoughts?

Mike Dopud played:

SG1, Season 8, "Full Alert", Colonel Chernovshev, a Russian officer.
SG1, Season 10, "Bounty", Odai Ventrell - he was a bounty hunter trying to get the bounty the LA was offering. :)
SGA, Season 5, "Tracker", played Kyryk(?).
SGU, Season 1, "Incursion", Varro

jelgate
June 13th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Mike Dopud played:

SG1, Season 8, "Full Alert", Colonel Chernovshev, a Russian officer.
SG1, Season 10, "Bounty", Odai Ventrell - he was a bounty hunter trying to get the bounty the LA was offering. :)
SGA, Season 5, "Tracker", played Kyryk(?).
SGU, Season 1, "Incursion", VarroHe was Varro in Subversion too.

Major_Griff
June 13th, 2010, 11:50 AM
I think that after Ventrell killed Netan, he tried to take over the LA, but he came out on the losing end of the ensuing power struggle, and went back to bounty hunting. And then the bounty business wasn't bringing home enough bacon, so he started to do some henchman for hire work on the side. When he got hired by the LA, he changed his name to Varro because he didn't want his fellow henchman to continually ask him if he was the guy that killed Netan and tried to take over. It's less awkward that way.

MattSilver 3k
June 13th, 2010, 11:52 AM
I think that Varro, Ventrell, Kiryk and Russian guy are all Loki's experiments in cloning. You know, like Nurse Joys.

blueintegraboy
June 13th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Maybe Baal experimented on him before cloning himself many, many, many times.

SGboy
June 13th, 2010, 09:09 PM
dont forget Odai Ventrell from SG-1's season 10 "bounty". unfortunately al have different names, but varro and ventrell are quite similar...

dosed150
June 16th, 2010, 08:03 PM
hes like the jeffrey combs of stargate, jeffrey combs has played a load of different star trek characters, mainly brunt, weyoun and shran, but thats much less confusing for the audience because of the make up

garhkal
June 18th, 2010, 05:58 AM
OT. Wow did not know he played both a Ferengi and a Dominion guy..

Cold Fuzz
June 23rd, 2010, 10:16 PM
Mike Dopud is awesome, I hope he stays since this show is made that much more awesome by having a Quebec-born actor in it :P. As much as I would have liked him to be playing Ventrell, it wouldn't have made sense for him to be an underling to someone we had never heard of before. I still think Ventrell never joined the alliance and simply collected a very big bounty, or maybe even got killed by one of the lieutenants.

But I agree that he's played a lot of characters in the franchise, maybe too many for someone with such a unique face. At least Brody's previous SG-1 character wasn't very memorable, neither was Volker's.

Mike Dopud is a badass. :D I'm glad he's on the show, though I thought he would have made an excellent recurring SG team member rather than a LA villain.

FallenAngelII
June 26th, 2010, 03:32 AM
This character seems to be very different than the bounty hunter in SG-1 so I imagine it's not supposed to be him. It's not like there haven't been 3 different people from across the universe who seem to look remarkably similar to each other in the 3 shows but this seems especially noticeable.

At least it's not like that time Carter and Weir manage to date the same person.
Don't forget the fact that dating the same guy somehow made Elizabeth grow a few inches and turn into a redhead!

hes like the jeffrey combs of stargate, jeffrey combs has played a load of different star trek characters, mainly brunt, weyoun and shran, but thats much less confusing for the audience because of the make up
Or Brian Thompson... who appeared as two different villains on "Buffy", two different apocalypse-bringing villains on "Charmed" and every single Star Trek franchise besides the original series, almost every single time as a different character, sometimes as more than one on the same franchise.

The guy has more faces than B.A.G.
I've seen that acronym thrown around a few times now. What does it stand for in this context?

longlobo
July 6th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Maybe their father likes to travel a lot.

Nathan Reynolds
July 7th, 2010, 02:41 AM
And before he played characters with names he played extras... In SG1 season1 finale he's a jaffa shot by oneill when they try to capture the Kor'el 'sarcofagus'.

And in Season5 (i think) finale he played another jaffa in a group of jaffa shot dead by oneill and Teal'c in corridor inside a Ha'tak.

meisje1971
July 21st, 2010, 11:50 AM
Don't forget the fact that dating the same guy somehow made Elizabeth grow a few inches and turn into a redhead!

Or Brian Thompson... who appeared as two different villains on "Buffy", two different apocalypse-bringing villains on "Charmed" and every single Star Trek franchise besides the original series, almost every single time as a different character, sometimes as more than one on the same franchise.

I've seen that acronym thrown around a few times now. What does it stand for in this context?

B.A.G. stands for Bald Asian Guy, there is even a thread for saving this character in the general discussion area.

I hope that Varro will stay with the SGU crew, and that they won't kill him off during Season 2