PDA

View Full Version : what happens if the earth military dies.

mr_seeker
June 12th, 2010, 01:29 AM
See i know this wouldnt happen but it would be incredible and be out of the box say if the LA acturally took over.- i would say it would be one of biggest changes ever in stargate if that happened. but instead of kiva - it would be varro. a fun idea =) any write thoughts down =)

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 12th, 2010, 07:35 AM
it really would be something for SG, which has always been military sci-fi, to have the band of criminals tale over

Elite Anubis Guard
June 12th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Well we're definitely going to be stuck with them. They wont kill them all. It'll just be interesting to see how it's all handled.

droid327
June 12th, 2010, 11:33 AM
A complete cast turnover? :)

I know SGU has been called a soap opera in space, but I think it takes even daytime dramas longer than one season to completely cycle a new cast through...

If it happened, I'd have to take it as a bad sign that most of the principal actors all decided the show was crap and quit :D

Wayston
June 12th, 2010, 11:38 AM
who would die that we know of? col young and lt james and that's pretty much it?

the others aren't in the room

it would solve the two colonels conundrum, but I wouldn't stand for it because I appreciate the presence of lt james boobs on the show

MattSilver 3k
June 12th, 2010, 11:40 AM
who would die that we know of? col young and lt james and that's pretty much it?

it would solve the two colonels conundrum, but I wouldn't stand for it because I appreciate the presence of lt james boobs on the show

Yeah, but they could be deadsies. We have Riley, TJ and a dead marine all shot and possibly dead. We have Scott and Greer roasting on the side of the ship. Telford's been shot. Young and James with the others...

It would be rather... odd if they all died, though very very very very very VERY unlikely. Speaking from a writer standpoint, the stories that'd come forth from Civvies Vs LA would be interesting. Sort-of a LA oppressing them and the Civvies fighting back thing. Rush could go all screwdriver-wielding again!

Facial La Fleur
June 12th, 2010, 11:43 AM
If baldy executes any of them it will people that we don't even know and not main characters but I don't even think it will go that far. Varro will put an end to it before even the first shot is fired.

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
June 12th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Despite the fact that Varro was going to kill rush if he didn't get the stargate working to dial destiny.

Facial La Fleur
June 12th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Despite the fact that Varro was going to kill rush if he didn't get the stargate working to dial destiny.

That's just part of the whole good cop bad cop bluff.

The Shrike
June 12th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Despite the fact that Varro was going to kill rush if he didn't get the stargate working to dial destiny.He would if he was ordered to, but it didn't apppear it's something he would either enjoy, or have done if he was the one giving the orders.

I think Varro is going to be used by the writers to give more depth to the viewers initial impression of the LA. He seems more like an honourable soldier, which is completely different than the current one dimensional representation of the LA that we've been shown to date.

I could be wrong, but I sense that's where they're headed with his character.

Tuvok
June 12th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Yeah, but they could be deadsies. We have Riley, TJ and a dead marine all shot and possibly dead. We have Scott and Greer roasting on the side of the ship. Telford's been shot. Young and James with the others...

It would be rather... odd if they all died, though very very very very very VERY unlikely. Speaking from a writer standpoint, the stories that'd come forth from Civvies Vs LA would be interesting. Sort-of a LA oppressing them and the Civvies fighting back thing. Rush could go all screwdriver-wielding again!

Wouldn't be much of a fight.

The Military kicked their asses and they were using reasonable force.

LA version of reasonable force?

Shoot people from the least important up till the Civies wise up.

wargrafix
June 12th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Rush will go Super sayan. We don't need the military. Except James. And we all know why.

jelgate
June 12th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Rush will go Super sayan. We don't need the military. Except James. And we all know why.

Huh?

wargrafix
June 12th, 2010, 03:53 PM
^^^^
DBZ reference.

Avenger
June 12th, 2010, 03:54 PM
If baldy executes any of them it will people that we don't even know and not main characters but I don't even think it will go that far. Varro will put an end to it before even the first shot is fired.

That's what I see happening as well.

Gollumpus
June 12th, 2010, 03:55 PM
What happens if the earth military dies?

The LA guys get their rooms.

regards,
G.

pipi
June 12th, 2010, 04:28 PM
I want them to show a proper head count and funeral after the incursion is over. It be more dramatic if they actually revealed the total number of deaths.

Adrian_Jackson
June 12th, 2010, 05:22 PM
He would if he was ordered to, but it didn't apppear it's something he would either enjoy, or have done if he was the one giving the orders.

Seconded. After Varro killed the soldier at the end, he had a look of "I really regret having to do that" on his face.

I want them to show a proper head count and funeral after the incursion is over. It be more dramatic if they actually revealed the total number of deaths.

Seconded.

fmbchris
June 12th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Then Kiva would become queen and lay a bunch of solder eggs!

garhkal
June 13th, 2010, 06:18 AM
^^^^
DBZ reference.

Sorry, don't watch it, never have, never will...

bobshort
June 13th, 2010, 07:02 PM
at the end of this they should have 23 died 9-LA 14-SGC

SGboy
June 13th, 2010, 08:16 PM
wow. that would be bad. you still have matt and greer, greer would make the destiny a metal coffin for the LA if they killed young.

Utitan
June 13th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Here's why they can't get rid of James.

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=909&pos=14

koroush47
June 13th, 2010, 10:13 PM
TV show will probably suck if they kill off all the cast.

Lahela
June 14th, 2010, 02:01 AM
Seconded. After Varro killed the soldier at the end, he had a look of "I really regret having to do that" on his face.

I got the same impression, and also from his attempts to build a truce between him and TJ. It seems he's a soldier who takes no pleasure in what he has to do to attain the desired ends. I'm looking forward to seeing where they take him next season... assuming he survives.

vszulc
June 14th, 2010, 09:21 AM
This is why everybody who watched the Ukrainian episodes started talking about the Maquis.
Obviously most of SGC and LA will be left to somehow work it out, overcome their differences, and blah blah.
Expect plenty of drama about who's in charge in season 2... ZZzzz ZZzzz

Lahela
June 14th, 2010, 10:06 AM
This is why everybody who watched the Ukrainian episodes started talking about the Maquis.
Obviously most of SGC and LA will be left to somehow work it out, overcome their differences, and blah blah.
Expect plenty of drama about who's in charge in season 2... ZZzzz ZZzzz

Only those who have seen the show that all these (for me, baffling because I have no idea what you're talking about) references to "the Maquis" are about... but whatever show it is, I can guarantee you that they did not do it first in any genre. It's not what you do, it's how you do it that sets any show apart.

KEK
June 14th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Not sure if I'd want the military to be murdered on the spot, I don't see how the relationship between the civilians and the LA could really recover from that. Seeing them all learning to work together and having the military structures from both sides break down along with their affiliations to Earth and the LA would be brilliant though. Watching the society form would be some of the most compelling sci-fi TV ever.

jelgate
June 14th, 2010, 03:40 PM
I don't understand the Maquis simlairity from Voyager. The two groups and how they affected the general practice of the ship are so different

RJLCyberPunk
June 14th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I doubt they would even consider pursuing that avenue no matter how much those that hate the military and most specifically the U.S daydream off every second of their lives.

KEK
June 14th, 2010, 04:06 PM
I doubt they would even consider pursuing that avenue no matter how much those that hate the military and most specifically the U.S daydream off every second of their lives.

Huh? What are you talking about? :confused:

droid327
June 15th, 2010, 09:48 AM
I don't understand the Maquis simlairity from Voyager. The two groups and how they affected the general practice of the ship are so different

Yes, and the Maquis pretty much "assimilated" to Starfleet. The Maquis was also mostly Federation to begin with, just a little more desperate and less idealistic. I really dont see the LA ever "integrating" into, essentially, an American/Western Civ Earth philosophy or loyalty...they're a completely different society who sees Earth as their primary rival for galactic influence, I dont think I could ever trust them if I was Young.

KEK
June 15th, 2010, 09:57 AM
So do people expect Young to still be in charge after all this then?

jelgate
June 15th, 2010, 10:03 AM
So do people expect Young to still be in charge after all this then?

Yes. Homeworld choices for who can lead are very limitied

KEK
June 15th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Homeworld might not have a say in the matter.

jelgate
June 15th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Its their base. Thier rules on who leads

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 15th, 2010, 10:17 AM
So do people expect Young to still be in charge after all this then?Yes

Yes. Homeworld choices for who can lead are very limitiedand yes again

Homeworld might not have a say in the matter.this is the option I'm pulling for and I almost hope that it becomes an us on the Destiny versus Earth scenario because having an outer enemy might solidify them on the ship a bit more. In any case, they're what they've got to work with

KEK
June 15th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Its their base. Thier rules on who leads

It isn't theirs. They have no way of controlling who is in charge directly. If the people on board want someone else, there's nothing they can do about it.

jelgate
June 15th, 2010, 10:23 AM
It isn't theirs. They have no way of controlling who is in charge directly. If the people on board want someone else, there's nothing they can do about it.

Sure their is. Suddenly stone time gets reduced if they don't listen to their superiors

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 15th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Sure their is. Suddenly stone time gets reduced if they don't listen to their superiors

that's probably not a bad thing :)

KEK
June 15th, 2010, 10:29 AM

Given that their lives depend on their leader, somehow I don't think reduced stone time is going to do much.

hedwig
June 15th, 2010, 10:38 AM

Did anyone actually see James in that room at the end of the episode? I may have to go rewatch, but I don't think she was. (However, I could be wrong.:D)

jelgate
June 15th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Given that their lives depend on their leader, somehow I don't think reduced stone time is going to do much.

Its not a democracy. Its a military base. Who is best is not always who is in charge

KEK
June 15th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Its not a democracy. Its a military base. Who is best is not always who is in charge

It's not a military base. There are military there that have imposed an authoritarian regime on the rest of the crew, it doesn't have to be that way, especially if the rest of the military start losing faith in Young the way Scott seems to be.

jelgate
June 15th, 2010, 10:55 AM
It's not a military base. There are military there that have imposed an authoritarian regime on the rest of the crew, it doesn't have to be that way, especially if the rest of the military start losing faith in Young the way Scott seems to be.

Thats how a lot of military bases work. Civillian contractors work for the military and have to follow their orders

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 15th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Thats how a lot of military bases work. Civillian contractors work for the military and have to follow their orders

yep, if they didn't want to work under the military, they probably should have chosen not to work under the military in the first place, when they went to Icarus

*shrugs* I'm one of those people that doesn't see a military dictatorship, but meh. Every society has rules. Even if the civilians took over, you'd still be dealing with rules, or they wouldn't live long.

KEK
June 15th, 2010, 11:06 AM

Yes, but this isn't a military base. None of the civilians on board are under contracted to work here, they're refugees. The US military has no jurisdiction over the ship, or any authority over the civilians there.

jelgate
June 15th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Yes, but this isn't a military base. None of the civilians on board are under contracted to work here, they're refugees. The US military has no jurisdiction over the ship, or any authority over the civilians there.

They agreed to work on Icarus. Just because an emergency rose doesn't mean those promise to follow the military's command changes

KEK
June 15th, 2010, 11:13 AM
They agreed to work on Icarus. Just because an emergency rose doesn't mean those promise to follow the military's command changes

It's a bit more than an emergency, the job they signed up for is now non-existent, they are no longer employed.

jelgate
June 15th, 2010, 11:18 AM
It's a bit more than an emergency, the job they signed up for is now non-existent, they are no longer employed.

They are still required to obey the military as thier contract stilll exists. Their are civillians overseas for example and they would still have to follow the order of the CO if the base got attacked until the civilians were returned to civilization

KEK
June 15th, 2010, 11:30 AM
They are still required to obey the military as thier contract stilll exists. Their are civillians overseas for example and they would still have to follow the order of the CO if the base got attacked until the civilians were returned to civilization

That's not the same thing, they're not on a military base, the US military has no jurisdiction over Destiny. Their contracts are null and void, and even if they weren't, civilians can choose to leave their jobs if they want. That would be a problem on Icarus as it's a military base, but not on Destiny, which belongs to no one.

jelgate
June 15th, 2010, 12:58 PM
That's not the same thing, they're not on a military base, the US military has no jurisdiction over Destiny. Their contracts are null and void, and even if they weren't, civilians can choose to leave their jobs if they want. That would be a problem on Icarus as it's a military base, but not on Destiny, which belongs to no one.
The Icarus Base was aimed at finding the 9th chevron so it makes sense it would be a miltary establiishment as well especially since Jack wanted Telford or Young to lead once it was locked. That enough shows they do have jursdiction on Destiny. And no once a contract is signed the civilians agreed to work for the military for x amount of years

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 15th, 2010, 01:15 PM

The Icarus Base was aimed at finding the 9th chevron so it makes sense it would be a miltary establiishment as well especially since Jack wanted Telford or Young to lead once it was locked. That enough shows they do have jursdiction on Destiny. And no once a contract is signed the civilians agreed to work for the military for x amount of years

Jelgate got to it first, but yeah, the "job", as in the 9th chevron mission, hasn't gone anywhere and all these scientists have signed contracts to be where they are. It's not like they were rounded up at gunpoint and made to work at Icarus Base under the military. If the theory that the military is no longer in charge simply because they've gone through a wormhole and ended up somewhere was a valid one, then that would have to hold true for every single mission the SGC has ever gone on and that way lies chaos. There is one or possibly two people that could be said to be in a different situation and that's Chloe and possibly Eli. One would have never signed a contract with the military and the other we've seen has only signed a non-disclosure agreement although we don't know what else was involved. Everyone else? They worked under the military before, by choice. I don't see how that has changed.

KEK
June 15th, 2010, 01:40 PM
The Icarus Base was aimed at finding the 9th chevron so it makes sense it would be a miltary establiishment as well especially since Jack wanted Telford or Young to lead once it was locked. That enough shows they do have jursdiction on Destiny.

The people that evacuated to Destiny are not the same people who were supposed to join the expedition, this has been made clear, none of them signed up for this. The fact that the US military wanted to take control of Destiny is irrelevant, that doesn't make it theirs any more than any of the other refugees that ended up there. It's an alien space ship, it doesn't belong to anyone.

And no once a contract is signed the civilians agreed to work for the military for x amount of years

You've just made that up. Even if it were true though, and the contracts were not null and void as they appear, we still know from past experience that civilians working for the SGC (Daniel Jackson being a prime example) can leave their jobs whenever they like, just like any civilians working with the military can do in real life, so it really makes no difference. The civilians have no obligation to follow the commands of the military, as evidence by their attempt at a revolution. Young holds power by force alone - that's a fact.

Gollumpus
June 15th, 2010, 01:42 PM

Hokay then, if their contracts are null and void the military is under no obligation to these people. I suggest the various civilians who do not wish to be under military command should remove themselves to a different part of the ship. I'm not sure what they are going to do for food or water (as that is in the hands of the military) and if they want to be protected from any incursions from the LA or blue aliens or wandering bands of furlings... well, I'm not sure what they would do.

regards,
G.

KEK
June 15th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Hokay then, if their contracts are null and void the military is under no obligation to these people. I suggest the various civilians who do not wish to be under military command should remove themselves to a different part of the ship. I'm not sure what they are going to do for food or water (as that is in the hands of the military) and if they want to be protected from any incursions from the LA or blue aliens or wandering bands of furlings... well, I'm not sure what they would do.

regards,
G.

And when the ship needs fixing who are the military going to come crying to? Obviously they need to work together, but a military dictatorship isn't the way to do that, especially given that Young is such a poor commander. They should elect a leader like any civilized society would do, or at the very least form a civilian union that Young would have to work with.

jelgate
June 15th, 2010, 01:54 PM
The people that evacuated to Destiny are not the same people who were supposed to join the expedition, this has been made clear, none of them signed up for this. The fact that the US military wanted to take control of Destiny is irrelevant, that doesn't make it theirs any more than any of the other refugees that ended up there. It's an alien space ship, it doesn't belong to anyone.
Doesn't matter. They were still under orders to follow the military personel. Just because an attack occurs doesn't mean those contracts no longer apply. Just look at the real world. Under attack civilians and the aftermath civilians are still required to listen to the military

You've just made that up. Even if it were true though, and the contracts were not null and void as they appear, we still know from past experience that civilians working for the SGC (Daniel Jackson being a prime example) can leave their jobs whenever they like, just like any civilians working with the military can do in real life, so it really makes no difference. The civilians have no obligation to follow the commands of the military, as evidence by their attempt at a revolution. Young holds power by force alone - that's a fact.

No I didn't. Just because you disagree doesn't mean you should throw out unproven accusations. I'd counter with saying that McKay when he regretting his civiliians contract couldn't quit until it expired. Just because the civilians muntied doesn't mean they were right in the civillians should have the control. Its the military. Force is a given.

KEK
June 15th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Doesn't matter. They were still under orders to follow the military personel. Just because an attack occurs doesn't mean those contracts no longer apply. Just look at the real world. Under attack civilians and the aftermath civilians are still required to listen to the military

While they're in a military facility under the control of the military? Yes, but that's not what we're talking about, they're on an alien ship that they were evacuated to, you're comparing two completely different scenarios. As soon as they became refugees and their place of work was destroyed, their contract would have probably been rendered null and void. Not that it would matter either way as civilians can leave their jobs whenever the hell they like.

No I didn't. Just because you disagree doesn't mean you should throw out unproven accusations.

We have no idea what the contract says. Therefore any assertion you make about what it says is made up.

I'd counter with saying that McKay when he regretting his civiliians contract couldn't quit until it expired.

Source? I don't remember that happening. It's been referenced many times throughout the series that civilians can quit whenever they like, as they can in real life.

Just because the civilians muntied doesn't mean they were right in the civillians should have the control.

I never said they should have control, I said that the military have no jurisdiction over them.

Gollumpus
June 15th, 2010, 02:32 PM
And when the ship needs fixing who are the military going to come crying to? Obviously they need to work together, but a military dictatorship isn't the way to do that, especially given that Young is such a poor commander. They should elect a leader like any civilized society would do, or at the very least form a civilian union that Young would have to work with.

Well, there's a few folks in the military who are kinda' smart (eg. Riley), and I kinda' suspect that not all of the civilians will tow the Wray-line and wish to separate from the military, and if the ship needs fixing then it is just as much in the civilians interest to see that it gets fixed, or are you suggesting that they would only fix the "civilian" side of the ship? :P

I would disagree with you that these people are not under military command. Just because the place of employment has changed does not nullify contracts. These folks have an obligation to respect the military command under which they find themselves. If you think otherwise, I'd like to know if these folks have also agreed to end any payments from the SGC? I suspect they will want their back-pay if/when they do get back. :)

I'm still kind of amazed at this call for a civilian government. These people are in constant contact with the SGC. It's not like they are out on a desert island somewhere with no chance of ever contacting home again. We are talking about a group of people who have only recently (a few months) been in their current position. We are talking about maybe 80 people. There are more senators in the USA then there are people on Destiny. And in this new society, does the military get a vote? If more military were to vote than civilians does that make Young the leader?

Who would be the best choice to lead this society? Rush? Hardly. Rush would hate all the interruptions which leadership role would force on him. Wray? I'm sure she'd love the job, and she'd do her best. However, Wray has proven herself in the last while to be less than capable in any kind of leadership role. Chloe?

Let's assume there is some kind of civilian "government" and let's put Wray in charge. What does Wray do? Well, she'd get Young to give her regular reports about food, water, ammunition and general combat readiness of the troops. Great, so Young gets these reports from his subordinates and passes them on to Wray. I see this being a great improvement in their lot. The population will see that the military is not holding out on them... unless someone comes up with the idea that Wray is in concert with the military and she is getting extra rations, and where's her transparency...

Who makes the rules of governance? Wray, or some panel of elected people, and who elects them (and can anyone from the military be on this panel)? What level of legal complexity are we talking about? And what if some portion of the society choose to not follow the rules? Wray asks them nicely, then more firmly and finally, "orders" Young to bring in the martial law to control the situation until everyone is towing the line? Oh wait, wouldn't that be more like a military dictatorship like you suggest we have under Young?

regards,
G.

KEK
June 15th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Well, there's a few folks in the military who are kinda' smart (eg. Riley), and I kinda' suspect that not all of the civilians will tow the Wray-line and wish to separate from the military, and if the ship needs fixing then it is just as much in the civilians interest to see that it gets fixed, or are you suggesting that they would only fix the "civilian" side of the ship? :P

Then it's also in the military's best interests to allow them food and water.

I would disagree with you that these people are not under military command. Just because the place of employment has changed does not nullify contracts. These folks have an obligation to respect the military command under which they find themselves. If you think otherwise, I'd like to know if these folks have also agreed to end any payments from the SGC? I suspect they will want their back-pay if/when they do get back. :)

I think pay cheques are the least of their problems, they've already tried to take the ship by force, which suggests to me they're willing to sever their ties with the military full stop if need be. Also, even if the contracts haven't been left null and void, there's nothing stopping the civilians from terminating them anyway, so it doesn't really matter either way.

I'm still kind of amazed at this call for a civilian government. These people are in constant contact with the SGC. It's not like they are out on a desert island somewhere with no chance of ever contacting home again. We are talking about a group of people who have only recently (a few months) been in their current position. We are talking about maybe 80 people. There are more senators in the USA then there are people on Destiny. And in this new society, does the military get a vote? If more military were to vote than civilians does that make Young the leader?

I suppose it would, assuming that they'd vote for Young.

Let's assume there is some kind of civilian "government" and let's put Wray in charge. What does Wray do? Well, she'd get Young to give her regular reports about food, water, ammunition and general combat readiness of the troops. Great, so Young gets these reports from his subordinates and passes them on to Wray. I see this being a great improvement in their lot. The population will see that the military is not holding out on them... unless someone comes up with the idea that Wray is in concert with the military and she is getting extra rations, and where's her transparency...

Who makes the rules of governance? Wray, or some panel of elected people, and who elects them (and can anyone from the military be on this panel)? What level of legal complexity are we talking about? And what if some portion of the society choose to not follow the rules? Wray asks them nicely, then more firmly and finally, "orders" Young to bring in the martial law to control the situation until everyone is towing the line? Oh wait, wouldn't that be more like a military dictatorship like you suggest we have under Young?

Uh, you realise that that was just a giant straw man, right? You're arguing against a system that I never suggested. Besides, functionality isn't the issue here, it's the morality of imposing a military dictatorship on people. I'm arguing that Young has no right to command (the civilians at least), and that they as a group need to learn to work together without oppression or threat of violence. How they might overcome that challenge is a different discussion entirely.

Gollumpus
June 15th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Uh, you realise that that was just a giant straw man, right? You're arguing against a system that I never suggested. Besides, functionality isn't the issue here, it's the morality of imposing a military dictatorship on people. I'm arguing that Young has no right to command (the civilians at least), and that they as a group need to learn to work together without oppression or threat of violence. How they might overcome that challenge is a different discussion entirely.

And you realize that what I was doing is asking for, and not getting, is some kind of idea of what you would suggest should be implemented to replace the "dictatorship" under which they currently operating. The "strawman" was a suggestion on my part. Do you have something in mind which would be better, and if so, how would it be better? Would there suddenly be more food, water or air? I am curious. We are all in agreement that a democratic system is superior to a military dictatorship. Go from there. :)

Let's assume that all of the military are killed off in this upcoming season. Let's also assume that all of the LA are killed off. (This should put us back on topic, more or less.) What happens next?

I've been seeing a lot of arguments for a civilian government, but nothing in the way of what shape it would take, what kind of system of government would this be? Would this be a real democracy, or some form of communal (communist?) system? Do they run things under a clone of the American system, or do they go with a parliamentary system?

Maybe they should just operate under Roberts Rules of Order?

How will this civilian government enforce unpopular decisions? How would they enforce ANY decisions?

regards,
G.

NavyGater
June 15th, 2010, 04:25 PM

I was so worried about LT James... I mean I still am!!!

Pharaoh Atem
June 15th, 2010, 04:27 PM
plenty more on the other side of a gate locked loaded ready to take the destiny back.

hedwig
June 15th, 2010, 04:59 PM
I was so worried about LT James... I mean I still am!!!

I don't know where Lt. James is, but she wasn't in the room with the rest of the military in that last scene (I just rewatched and didn't see her there). There were four women in the room, three of them in dark blue outfits similar to what Young was wearing, and one in camo-type outfit that James wears. But, none of those 4 women were Lt. James. So where is she? Did she manage to escape (to come back and help save people?) while everybody was busy fighting off everybody else. Did she wind up injured somewhere else? It'll be interesting to find out.

At this point, I'm sure she's not dead; otherwise, she'd have been herded into the room with all the other hostages, and then left in the room with the rest of the military when the two groups were separated.

Taiko
June 15th, 2010, 05:24 PM
I don't know where Lt. James is, but she wasn't in the room with the rest of the military in that last scene (I just rewatched and didn't see her there). There were four women in the room, three of them in dark blue outfits similar to what Young was wearing, and one in camo-type outfit that James wears. But, none of those 4 women were Lt. James. So where is she? Did she manage to escape (to come back and help save people?) while everybody was busy fighting off everybody else. Did she wind up injured somewhere else? It'll be interesting to find out.

At this point, I'm sure she's not dead; otherwise, she'd have been herded into the room with all the other hostages, and then left in the room with the rest of the military when the two groups were separated.

No her surrender scene came before the civilians as the Alliance soldiers secured the ship. She had on her helmet without the camouflage cover and was on her knees with her hands on her head as her squad was the first to follow the surrender order from Colonel Young.

EllieVee
June 15th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Yes. Homeworld choices for who can lead are very limitied

I've previously suggested that Young could be replaced via the stones.

jelgate
June 15th, 2010, 05:31 PM
I've previously suggested that Young could be replaced via the stones.

That sounds a little risky to me. It seems their are a few problems for a person using the stones long term

wargrafix
June 15th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Given to the ability for the stones to be intercepted, its would be stupid to put someone in charge via the stones.

hedwig
June 15th, 2010, 06:13 PM
No her surrender scene came before the civilians as the Alliance soldiers secured the ship. She had on her helmet without the camouflage cover and was on her knees with her hands on her head as her squad was the first to follow the surrender order from Colonel Young.

But she still wasn't in that room that Colonel Young and the other military group were herded into.:) Though there are likely other military people aboard, why weren't they all herded into that room as well?

Of course, Scott and Greer are outside the ship, and they just may attempt a rescue of some kind, since the bald guy (who's name I keep forgetting) probably thinks they'll be dead in a few minutes anyway, and doesn't consider them a threat.

Given to the ability for the stones to be intercepted, its would be stupid to put someone in charge via the

Plus, there's also the problem with using the stones to put somebody from earth in charge, because who's going to volunteer to trade bodies with somebody permanently? And Jack wouldn't order somebody to do that either. And if one of those two people trading bodies were to be killed, the other one would also die. More likely, Telford would be put in charge if he can prove to Jack that he'd been brainwashed. There's really nobody else that could replace Young otherwise.

garhkal
June 16th, 2010, 04:44 AM

Ok, first off who's to say the military gets the food? Do they grow the stuff? More likely it is the civilians who do so. Do they operate the consoles? Again no. So while they may have the guns and the moxy, they don't have much of anything else..

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 16th, 2010, 05:29 AM
Given to the ability for the stones to be intercepted, its would be stupid to put someone in charge via the stones.I agree with that. If nothing else, the writers have set us up with a situation where the stones have proven to be trouble. If the stones can be intercepted by one set of aliens, why not another? Then what happens to the people on Destiny? What happens to Young?

Plus, there's also the problem with using the stones to put somebody from earth in charge, because who's going to volunteer to trade bodies with somebody permanently? And Jack wouldn't order somebody to do that either. And if one of those two people trading bodies were to be killed, the other one would also die. More likely, Telford would be put in charge if he can prove to Jack that he'd been brainwashed. There's really nobody else that could replace Young otherwise.I'm wondering if that's what was going on. It may well be but I wonder, given the upshot of that conversation where Young left more determined than when he went in. In any case, the Destiny's troubles have proven that they are clearly in a hell of a lot of danger and need the military on that ship.