Frank Herbert's Dune : Books & Movies Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frank Herbert's Dune : Books & Movies Discussion/Appreciation

I guess you know what I'm talkin about? But for those who don't get...I'm talking about The Dune, original movie, made in 80s... and Sci-Fi's minisiriese Frank Herbert's Dune and Frank Herbert's Children Of Dune... So the questions are... Are you a fan? What can you share? Did you like the movie and/or the minisiries? What did you not like? What about the books?

I'm not a big fan of the Dune, but a fan. I loved the movie when I first saw it like 10/12 years ago... And then I found out about FH's Dune, got that...and last year, i think, FH's CoD came out...I liked them...the only thing I didn't like were the flyers and closes...too unfuturistic imho... And I think some parts in FH's Dune are a lilttle boring... FH's Cod is better! I once tried to read the book, but it was too hard, just didn't get it...I'm going to try again this summer...

Anyway...is Sci-Fi going to make another minisiries? Because as far as I know there is one more story to go...right? Did I miss anythig, lol?

I've never seen either the film nor the mini-series, but the books were good. I need to read them again sometime, that's if I can remember what order they're supposed to go in...
    sum ergo cogitum
    I am therefore I think.

Comment

I actually watched (and almost understood) the first movie before I ever read the book. I mentioned it to a friend who gave me the book which I read in like 2 days and have read pretty much once a year since. I've read the sequels as well as the prequels and enjoy them, but nothing compares to the first. I'm not even sure I can explain why I like it so much because there are so many reasons.

And I did enjoy the movie (which really needed to be longer) and the mini-series. I had some nitpicks in both, but overall I think they did pretty good by the book story-wise. Especially the mini-series, but that may be because they had more time.

Comment

Oh one thing I remember is the soundtrack to the mini-sirieses...they were good, however FH's CoD Soundtrack is better, and I have it...enjoy it, a lot!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie
          the only thing I didn't like were the flyers ...too unfuturistic imho...
          Not to mention un-aerodynamically sound. My dad is a pilot and it sends shivers through him when he sees the Thopters. "That's not real! That can't work!"

Comment

Yeah there are problems...but they are compinsted by the ideas and acting...and the whole movie...it's just good...technology becomes less important when you look at the story..that's why i like it

Comment

Inama Nushif, the theme to Children of Dune, is phenomonal. I bought the cd and had it playing practically 24/7 for a long time.

Comment

The books go.
                Dune
                Dune Messiah
                Children of Dune
                God Emperor of Dune
                Heretics of Dune
                Chapterhouse: Dune

I read them last year before Children of Dune. The books rocked!
                "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday

Comment

Originally posted by David
                  Inama Nushif, the theme to Children of Dune, is phenomonal. I bought the cd and had it playing practically 24/7 for a long time.
                  Agreed. I have my CD player setup to wake me up with that.

Dune from the 80's was pretty cool. But everytime I see that little Alia I get freaked out...along with Patrick Stewart with hair at the end.

FHune was okay, some parts good, others were all right. CoD nailed it pretty good, and that is my favorite of all the movies/miniseries.

As far as a new miniseries, I would like to see one, but God Emporer of Dune would be rather hard, as it is mostly in Leto II's thoughts. But Heretics and Chapter house would be good.
                  Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
                  Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
                  Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
                  Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
                  Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
                  Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
                  Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

Comment

With the way the series has been doing I'm pretty sure we will see more, which is fine on my end!

I was asleep halfway into the Dune movie .

Comment

Originally posted by SGSlugger
                      Agreed. I have my CD player setup to wake me up with that.
                      Well you are not the only onse... I love that song so badly... you probably can imagine

With the way the series has been doing I'm pretty sure we will see more, which is fine on my end!

I was asleep halfway into the Dune movie
                      Yep I'd like to see more series!!! And about the movie...I watched it like 4 times...it's a lilttle too long....but it's posible to sit trought it...Anyway I think I have it taped somewhere...gotta watch it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoBoY
                        The books go.
                        Dune
                        Dune Messiah
                        Children of Dune
                        God Emperor of Dune
                        Heretics of Dune
                        Chapterhouse: Dune

I read them last year before Children of Dune. The books rocked!
                        Hasn't Herbert's son or someone written some prequels as well, or did I imagine that? I'm sure I remeber seeing something like "The Butlerian Jihad" on a bookshelf somwhere...
                        sum ergo cogitum
                        I am therefore I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Champos
                          Hasn't Herbert's son or someone written some prequels as well, or did I imagine that? I'm sure I remeber seeing something like "The Butlerian Jihad" on a bookshelf somwhere...

5 so far - the first 3 take place just before Dune and the other 2 (with one more forthcoming ) are set thousands of years in the past when they were fighting the thinking machines. They're pretty good.

I also read an interview with Brian Herbert saying that they plan to write another trilogy set after the original Dune series.

Comment

What about thise "House of ... " series?? how many books are there???

Comment

I read through Children of Dune in the early 80's. Thought the books were great. I really liked the motion picture, but hubs, who hadn't read the books, was a little lost, since they left quite a bit of background info out due to time constraints. Later when the director's cut was released, with all 4 hours of film, it was a much better movie IMO.

The miniseries on SciFi were well done too. It had the advantage of being able to stretch out the story and cover all the bases.

As for soundtracks, we wore out the one for the original. Of course that was back when we still used tapes. 8)
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X