This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

recommend a new show for me

I've just finished all of SG-1, seasons 1 and 2 of Atlantis, Firefly, and all seasons of BSG in the course of the last 6 months. I need a new show to watch. Of course I am going to finish Atlantis, but my netflix queue is looking a little thin right now. Can someone recommend another good series? I've done all the Star Trek ones before so I need something else. Is Babylon 5 any good? I tried to get into Farscape but I could not make it past the first episode...

Babylon 5 is a must, you'll be sorely pressed to find a sci-fi show more compelling and thought provoking. I've watched everything you've watched except all of BSG which I didnt like and Star Trek. And I'm just started season 3 and I'm liking it as much as I liked Firefly. You'll love it, I promise but look up the viewing order cause there are some movies or something.

You have to soldier through the first season of Farscape then you'll totally be into it and by the end you will be satisfied. It picks up pace and you'll see why that guy is memorable. He played Cameron during the last two seasons of SG1. And Vala was also another major character in Farscape.

Comment

Doctor Who.....(start with the complete first series) it grows into a amazing series. The X-Files, any Star Trek (DS9 and Voyager are my favorites), Smallville, Dollhouse, Firefly, since its Netflix you can pick anything!

Comment

Sanctuary is a good show to watch too.

True Blood
        Charmed
        Roswell
        sigpic

Comment

If you couldn't get through the first episode of Farscape you'll have trouble with B5. The first season is, at times, pretty dreadful. But I persevered because of how good everyone said it was. By the second season I could see why everyone raves about it.

I strongly suggest you give Farscape another try. It really picks up and gets great after a couple episodes. Most fans say around "DNA Mad Scientist" is when it really hits its stride (which I think is about... episode 6?). It's a phenomenal show that no sci-fi fan should miss. By the middle of season one I pretty much guarantee that you'll be addicted.

You might also try Doctor Who (which I never got into) and its spinoff, Torchwood (which I do watch).

Comment

Garth Merenghi's Dark Place....not so much your tradiational sci-fi..more fantasty..with a mix of absurdity

Comment

Fringe
              Farscape
              Chuck
              Deadwood
              Kings
              Heroes
              V
              Sanctuary
              sigpic

Comment

Doctor Who
                Torchwood
                Life on Mars (BBC Version!)
                Ashes to Ashes
                Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
                West Wing
                Farscape
                Babylon 5
                Primeval
                Luther
                Dead Like Me
                Pushing Daisies
                Wonderfalls
                He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
                He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
                And he's wonderful.

Comment

Well, Heroes is an obvious choice if you're into scifi. The first season is really good. Caprica is fun too, although it only has 9 episodes yet. You can also try some non-scifi/fantasy shows. House if you're into medical stuff (although I watch it in particular for the characters). Dexter is great too, and if you liked Rome or 300 you should try Spartacus (if you don't mind the over-the-top violence and nudity, that is).
                  Mia: Don't you hate that?
                  Vincent: Hate what?
                  Mia: Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?
                  Vincent: I don't know. That's a good question.
                  Mia: That's when you know you've found somebody really special: you can just shut the f*** up for a minute and comfortably share silence.
                  - Pulp Fiction

Comment

I would suggest:

Heroes. Season one was awesome. After that it went downhill fast. But the first season is definitely worth your time.

Lost. I'm just starting it myself, but so far I'm about 10 episodes in and completely engrossed in the story. It's pretty awesome so far.

I tried Babylon 5 and Farscape also, but I couldn't get into them either.

If you're into drama I'd suggest:

House. Hugh Laurie is awesome, and it's the only doctor show I've ever been able to stomach.

24. Jack Bauer is such a bad ass. It's one of the most original shows that I've ever seen on TV.
                    "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
                    - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

Doctor Who
                      Torchwood
                      Primeval
                      Sanctuary
                      Supernatural
                      Dollhouse
                      V
                      sigpic

Comment

Doctor Who is a must. Both the classic and new series (in my opinion) The thing with DW as well is that it has the benefit of you pretty much being able to dive in anywhere and start to pick up the story. Though the new season 1 of the new series does give youa good intro, but it is by no means the best the series has to offer. Also if you don't like one Doctor, just skip ahead a season or two to the next one.
                        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Don't miss out on Chuck for a lighthearted take on the spy world with elements from every genre imaginable.

Then head over to Babylon 5 for some seriously epic storytelling. If you gave up after episode 1, it really is your loss.

( Doctor Who is highly recommended )

Comment

Sci-Fi/Fantasy

Babylon 5 -- Rough first season, but after that it's amazing

Carnivale -- A brilliant pseudo-historical, pseudo-religious fantasy story of good vs. evil that was sadly cancelled after only 2 of 6 planned seasons. Absolutely amazing piece of work from HBO

Doctor Who -- The new (2005-) series is probably the best place to start for newcomers

Farscape -- Like Babylon 5, is an absolute must. Starts a touch slow but it's a fabulous, brilliant series

Futurama -- AMAZING sci-fi cartoon comedy. Cancelled by the morons running Fox, but now it's coming back

Lexx -- Very niche, a lot of people dislike it. But I think it's worth mentioning because it's so different, so quirky, and so off-the-wall. It's really unlike anything else in science fiction, and is great for 3 of 4 seasons

Red Dwarf -- Brit sci-fi comedy series. Hilarious

X-Men -- The '90s cartoon. Sure it's a 'kids' show, but having just rewatched it recently as an adult, I can confirm that it stands the test of time and is still a great show

Non-Sci-Fi/Fantasy

Archer -- A cartoon series that's between its first and second season right now. It's about a spy (named Archer) who's part of a very '60s spy organization, but with all the modern trappings (cell phones, sexual harassment suits, etc). Not sci-fi, but very very funny

The Boondocks -- Adapted from a comic strip, this show is absolutely hilarious in how much it tears apart racial stereotypes. It's not sci-fi at all, just comedy

Chuck -- Great, light-hearted take on the spy genre

Deadwood -- HBO does a series in the old west. Awesome

Entourage -- More HBO. Really a 'guys' sort of series, but hilarious enough for all. Comedy show about a guy trying to make it in Hollywood and his entourage of buddies that he grew up with

Rome -- Again, HBO (I'm detecting a theme here). An historical/dramatic telling of Roman politics and family from Caesar's civil war until Mark Antony's death

The Wire -- The best show of all time, period. Shocker: by HBO
                            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Watch Babylon 5 and Farscape before you watch anything else

Trust me farscape gets much better.

Sci-Fi Shows:
                              Supernatural, Sanctuary, Fringe, DS9, The 4400, Eureka (I know, but I Love this show ), Defying Gravity (short season )

Police Dramas:
                              Southland, The Wire, The Mentalist, NCIS

Other Shows:
                              Futurama, The Big Bang Theory, Dexter, Community, Arrested Development
                              Favorite Characters:
                              Babylon 5: Londo Mollari, G'Kar
                              Farscape: Rygel, Zhaan
                              SG1: Jack O'Neill
                              SG-A: Rodney McKay

Favorite Shows In Order:
                              Stargate SG-1 | DS9 | Babylon 5 | Farscape | ST:VOY | Firefly |Stargate Universe | Stargate Atlantis | BSG

Comment

Working...
                              X