This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time Travel -- great stories

What the heck, let's have a thread on the best time travel stories in sci-fi

So far, I've come up with:

TV
    Babylon 5 "A Voice in the Wilderness" / "War Without End"
    Doctor Who "The Empty Child" / "The Doctor Dances"
    Doctor Who "The Girl in the Fireplace"
    Farscape "Kansas"
    Futurama "Roswell That Ends Well"
    Red Dwarf "Future Echoes"
    Red Dwarf "Gunmen of the Apocalypse"
    Stargate SG-1 "1969"
    Stargate SG-1 "Window of Opportunity"
    Stargate SG-1 "2010" / "2001"
    Stargate Universe "Time"
    Star Trek "The City on the Edge of Forever"
    Star Trek TNG "Yesterday's Enterprise"
    Star Trek TNG "All Good Things..."
    Star Trek DS9 "Past Tense"
    Star Trek DS9 "The Visitor"
    Star Trek DS9 "Little Green Men"
    Star Trek DS9 "Trials and Tribble-ations"
    Torchwood "Captain Jack Harkness"
    The X-Files "Triangle"
    The X-Files "Dreamland"
    X-Men "Days of Future Past" / "Time Fugitives" / "One Man's Worth"

Movies
    12 Monkeys
    Back to the Future Trilogy
    Planet of the Apes
    Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home"
    Star Trek: First Contact
    The Terminator / Terminator 2

Which do you love? Why?
    Last edited by DigiFluid; 10 May 2010, 10:35 AM.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Good list, Id have included contimuum too, and blink in doctor who
    I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
      Good list, Id have included contimuum too, and blink in doctor who
      Continuum was okay...I don't think it's as great as everyone else seems to believe though.

And I definitely should have included Blink, good call.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

no Quantum Leap? and i loved Blink,those angels were damn scary
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pookey View Post
          no Quantum Leap?
          I love Quantum Leap, but I don't know it well enough to cite episodes offhand. I assumed someone else would do it

Comment

There's lots and lots and lots of great time travel episodes in QL. Too many to list, though. Ah, okay, I checked an episode list and remembered this great two-part story at the beginning of season three: "The Leap Home" - the title being the clue for Sam's next leap. It's a very personal journey for Sam in this story.

How about this one for a time twisting time travel story: Babylon 5 "Babylon Squared". Miss out on season one and you miss this hugely important episode. It really bugs me when I read that season one can be skipped altogether. I dunno, I kinda prefer seeing the questions before having the answers revealed to me.
            "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

I wouldn't add Quantum Leap, or TimeCop (the series) because the show heavily involves time travel. I would consider adding each pilot episode but no more.

I'd also add the Time Trax pilot. Mostly set in the 90s, but starts off in the 2190 something.

I'd add the TimeCop movie. It's not a great flick, but I did like the "same matter can't occupy same space" aspect as well as the paradoxes created. Definitely have to suggest the Denzel Washington movie 'Deja Vu'.

sigpic

Comment

I agree with BTTF & most of Quantum Leap.

Comment

Anything with time travel fascinates me, almost anything at least. Its why I love Doctor Who. Some of my favorite SG1 episodes are the ones with time travel. I really enjoyed "The Last Man" in Stargate Atlantis. Is "Triangle" the X-Files episode with the ship thats from WWII? I loved that episode....ALOT. Time travel is my favorite kind of staple sci-fi story. Screw space travel!

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                    Is "Triangle" the X-Files episode with the ship thats from WWII? I loved that episode....ALOT.
                    Yep! I loved it too

Comment

Time Bandits
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                        I wouldn't add Quantum Leap, or TimeCop (the series) because the show heavily involves time travel. I would consider adding each pilot episode but no more.

I'd also add the Time Trax pilot. Mostly set in the 90s, but starts off in the 2190 something.

I'd add the TimeCop movie. It's not a great flick, but I did like the "same matter can't occupy same space" aspect as well as the paradoxes created. Definitely have to suggest the Denzel Washington movie 'Deja Vu'.
                        Deju Vu surprised me, I watched having no idea it was about Time Travel, pretty good movie.

Comment

How about the recent 'Fringe' episode w/ Peter Weller? I thought it was quite good.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
                            Time Bandits
                            I loved that movie! A silly romp through time Monty Python style!

Great idea for a thread DigiFluid! Time travel is my favourite aspect of Sci Fi, so no surprise I'm here! I loved the Back to the Future Trilogy of course and the Terminators, along with the Trek ones, great time travel stories. Always fun when the past needs to be set right.

Who can forget 'The Time Machine' the 1964 movie!
                            Time After Time - with HG Wells chasing Jack the Ripper through time.
                            Early Edition - a great sadly underrated show about a guy who gets the next day's paper and tries to avert any disasters in it.
                            Timestalkers - Another little known but fun movie starring Stargate's very own 'Henry Hayes'!
                            Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure - For even more silly time travel antics. Abe Lincoln shouting out "Party on Dudes!" has got to be one of my favourite silly movie moments!

Comment

The One, with Jet Li was non to shoddy, and an old one is, Final Countdown
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X