X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RDA in the news - Calgary Sun: Snow Many Stars

From the Calgary Sun (Calgary, Canada):

http://www.calgarysun.com/perl-bin/n...91407.html&a=1

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

Snow many stars

by Nadia Moharib and Sarah Kennedy
    Calgary Sun

BANFF — The stars were out Jan. 6 — it was just hard to see them in all the snow.

Despite the treacherous weather, the Fairmont Banff Springs Sports Invitational kicked off last night, bringing a blizzard of celebrities to the area.

“It’s a beautiful town,” mega-star Robin Williams said at the opening ceremony.

“Not a bad call to come to Banff and stay in a beautiful hotel.”

Despite the blustery weather, organizer Majoe Gortner pledged the show — which will raise money for Robert. F. Kennedy Jr.’s Waterkeeper Alliance — will go on as planned, but with the addition of a “couple of big surprise guests showing up.”

“The weather hasn’t affected the event so far,” he said. “Firemen took them (the celebrities) from the airport.”

Williams shrugged off the wintery conditions, adding he loves snowboarding and the environmental issues the four-day event deals with are close to his heart, “especially with things involving water, because I drink a lot of it.”

Some A-listers such as Alec Baldwin, Woody Harrelson and Chris Noth arrived a few days early, squeezing in a couple of hours on the slopes. But Desperate Housewives’ star Nicollette Sheridan cancelled Jan. 5. No reason was given.

Still, the Hollywood stars warmed winter’s chill on their Calgary-bound flight, mingling with regular folks.

At Calgary International Airport, camera-shy Meg Ryan avoided the media while a steady stream of fellow stars made their way out the sliding doors at the international arrivals gate. Ryan is co-hosting the event.

Richard Dean Anderson, best known as TV’s MacGyver, whisked by offering greetings followed by Corbin Bernsen and his toque-wearing wife, Amanda Pays.

**snippity doo-dah**

On Jan. 7 and 8 the stars will hit the slopes and trails tp participate in snow-shoeing and other races.
    Then tomorrow night they will attend a gala dinner and auction hosted by Gortner.

Kenny Loggins will also be performing.

Copyright © 2001, Sun Media Corporation

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
    http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/

Fans of Joe Flanigan
    http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/fansofjoeflanigan/

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

And another article on the same topic:

From The Globe and Mail (Canada):

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...Entertainment/

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

Celebrities flock to Banff

Banff, Alta. — Celebrities braved some nasty weather Friday to race on skis and toboggans as part of an ecological fundraiser hosted by American environmental lawyer Robert Kennedy Jr.

Actor Richard Dean Anderson shrugged off the forecast of -30 C with wind chill.

"I miss winter," said Anderson, who has spent the last eight years filming the sci-fi series Stargate SG:1 near comparatively balmy Vancouver.

"Being from Minnesota creates hardy stock," said Anderson. "I've got thick blood, thick head, the whole nine yards."

Blowing snow made driving treacherous from the airport in Calgary to the resort. What is normally a one-hour trip took twice that long for many of the celebrities, who passed dozens of vehicles that had slid off the road.

**snippity doo-dah**

Stars of television, film, music and sports will spend the weekend playing winter sports and generally being pampered at Sunshine Village and the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel as part of a fundraiser for Kennedy's Waterkeeper Alliance.

Kennedy is hoping the gala weekend, the eco-group's key fundraiser for the year, will raise $500,000 US.

"People are angry with our (American) government and they are willing to give money to help fight these policies," he said. "I'd say most of the environmental communities have money pouring in, it's just that the battles we're fighting today are battles we thought we had won."

**snippity doo-dah**

Grammy-winning singer Kenny Loggins is performing at a gala dinner on Saturday.

Sports figures expected to appear include Canadian skier Karen Percy-Lowe and U.S. track star Al Joyner.

© Copyright 2005 Bell Globemedia Publishing Inc

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
    http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/

Fans of Joe Flanigan
    http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/fansofjoeflanigan/

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Thanks Morjana
      "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

And you can watch it too...

Fairmont Banff Springs Sports Invitational
        ABC
        Jan 16
        02:00pm ET
        Special/Other, 60 Mins.
        Fifty sport, film and television celebrities compete in fun and challenging winter activities for charity. From Banff, Alberta.

Comment

Originally posted by prion
          And you can watch it too...

Fairmont Banff Springs Sports Invitational
          ABC
          Jan 16
          02:00pm ET
          Special/Other, 60 Mins.
          Fifty sport, film and television celebrities compete in fun and challenging winter activities for charity. From Banff, Alberta.
          Someone needs a reality adjustment. I got a red dot for posting a tv listing? geez...

Comment

Yes, we midwesterners are hardy folk. 6 inches of snow? Just a dusting. 20 degrees with windchills in the 10s--everyday stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by prion
              Someone needs a reality adjustment. I got a red dot for posting a tv listing? geez...
              Thanks for posting it - I was trying to find out if it was going to be broadcast and wasn't having any luck

Comment

Yes, thanks Prion. I was not having any luck either.
                sigpic

Comment

I missed the airing of the Fairmont Banff Springs Sports Invitational and was hoping that someone might have taped it. My girlfriend was at the event and we were hoping to have a copy of it as a keepsake. If anyone recorded the show and wouldn't mind sharing it with us, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Comment

Working...
                  X