Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Subspace and Hyperspace: Just what are they?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to ask:

Just what the heck is Subspace and Hyperspace?

As to Normal Space that is?

I guess it's like layers of a sandwich, Subspace the lower piece of bread, Normal Space the meat,and Hyperspace the top piece of bread?

Is that the simplest way I can understand it?

your analogy seem to fit

Comment

But What Are they?

I mean Destiny can receive updates from the ships that were ahead of it through Subspace I guess Subspace is faster than Hyperspace?

Comment

Originally posted by Starscream View Post
        But What Are they?

I mean Destiny can receive updates from the ships that were ahead of it through Subspace I guess Subspace is faster than Hyperspace?
        as ive understood it subspace is hyperspace and communication signals must travel alot faster then say an object the size of destiny, im sure one of our resident physisist will make an apearance soon enough and explain it further.

also Starscream instead of spamming the forum with new threads try the search function

Comment

Originally posted by Starscream View Post
          But What Are they?

i remember hearing somewhere ( i may be wrong, i hear on thing and can get twisted) hyper space, slipspace, subspace whole lot of them like ya said are packed on each other like a sandwich, though these other terminology for them. on was like they are a jumbled mess that interact in strange ways outside our dimension, another is like its a sea of energy and like the sandwich has different layers which have different propities.

though different people can interpret this in different ways. also Alx is right there are other hyperspace subspace threads, look them up to come up with ur own interpretation of them.
          time doesn't go in a linear path like everyone thinks, time is a ball of timey wimey wibbly wobblely uh....

Google won't search for Chuck Norris because it knows you don't find Chuck Norris, he finds you.
          sigpic

Comment

subspace is a, well, dimension doesn't really fit. a universe?

essentually it has all 4 dimensions. it's filled with mass. it's filled with energy. the only thing connecting subspace and realspace is gravity. subspace is denser near galaxies, which might make it the same as dark matter.

subspace appears to have no speedlimit for whatever reason.

hyperspace is an artificial tunnel through subspace which allows various degrees of speed increase, dependant on the advancedness of the hyperdrive and the power you can generate. within the tunnel Realspace physics apply, outside subspace physics apply. this allows the ship not only to move forward through the tunnel, but also travel relative to realspace at many times c.

Comment

That's a very... erm... liberal interpretation.

In sci-fi, subspace and hyperspace are used interchangeably and simply mean something that isn't part of normal space and where rules of physics are a little different.

How they are connected to normal space, how different the rules, and whether there is any difference between subspace and hyperspace all depends on the writers.
              MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

Originally posted by K^2 View Post
                That's a very... erm... liberal interpretation.

In sci-fi, subspace and hyperspace are used interchangeably and simply mean something that isn't part of normal space and where rules of physics are a little different.

How they are connected to normal space, how different the rules, and whether there is any difference between subspace and hyperspace all depends on the writers.
                hear hear K-squared to the rescue figured you'd pop your head in sooner or later

Comment

they always travel through hyperspace while subspace is referred to as a dimension.

also, we know it's filled with mass (gravity affects it, and since this would have to work 2 way it might as well be what we call dark matter) and energy (subspace capacitor can drain energy from it).

we know it has multiple dimensions (and since stuff can move in it, it has time. since we can acces it everywhere, it must have 3 space dimensions).

we know that hyperspace is a tunnel and it only exists for as long as the hyperdrive is active.

we know that the tunnel is normal space inside and subspace outside (hyperspace physics would blow our ships apart).

Comment

In Stargate at least, I thought hyperspace/speed was a particular manipulation of subspace to allow apparent FTL travel. In Atlantis's Attero device ep (name escapes me now), doesn't McKay say something about the device using subspace interference which affects the hyperdrives?
                    When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
                    Zatnikitelman

Comment

yes, as i said, Hyperspace is a tunnel through subspace. perhaps the best analogy would be a warpdrive through subspace, where the inside of the tunnel is Realspace and the outside is Subspace.

Attero disrups the tunnel and thus destroys the ship as it's exposed to subspace, which is energy and matter.

Comment

temporary constructs of a feeble human intellect trying desperately to justify an existence that is without meaning or purpose, and all of them as artificial as the Matrix itself
                        R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

yes i nominate that as the most useful answer so far

Spoiler:
                          Spoiler:
                          Spoiler:
                          /sarcasm

Spoiler:
                          using some cool difficult-sounding words doesn't make you right. and it's not even invented to justify human existence

Comment

you realize it was a joke right. i hope for your own sake that you realized it was a joke
                            R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

Originally posted by asdf1239 View Post
                              you realize it was a joke right. i hope for your own sake that you realized it was a joke
                              Don't mind him. Some people don't like jokes.
                              If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                              Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                              If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                              Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Working...
                              X