This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What draws you to sci-fi?

I am inclined to disbelieve that the average sci-fi fan is necessarily a geek or a nerd. I myself have been a fan of the genre since my childhood days and can hardly be said to fit in either category.
    Sci-fi fans are known for their vehement loyalty and I was wondering what the attraction is for you.

I personally like sci-fi because it is wonderful medium for discussing contemporary issues in an "alien" backdrop rather like an allegory or parable.
    sigpic
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Science fiction was a genre i was introduced to when Godzilla came out ohhhhh so long ago (back when i was a kid. i own practically every Godzilla movie out there). Since then, my interest has evolved to star Trek, and other science fiction movies. Now, my interests are targeted on the Stargate universe. So what exactly is it about science fiction that has me hooked?

I always liked the strange worlds visited by the sci-fi flicks. The technology is also a draw. But in truth, it was the stories told that drew me into the genre. With fiction, almost anything goes (as long as it makes some sense). Science fiction blends the truths and findings of science with the fantastic fairy-tales scripted by fiction writers. A pretty interesting and engaging combination. I'm sure every kid has dreamed of visiting a different planet somewhere deep in outer space, or meet a new alien race. Science fiction allows you to do just that, and that's also why i'm drawn to the genre. Currently, the Stargate universe is doing an exceptionally good job at doing just this!

Comment

I personally like SCi-Fi because it is better then all those laugh tracked lame Sit-Coms out there with the same material 100000 times.
      So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains,
      And we never even know we have the key.
      Already Gone---------
      The Eagles-----------

Comment

-Science Fiction shows are like a weekly movie.
        -They have special effects, usually good plotlines (at least better than other show's "plots")
        -They make you think and you might actually learn something (or at least babble off something to impress friends)
        -Sci Fi has something for everyone, it can combine several genres, comedy, drama, and may I reluctantly say some can even pull off a good romance
        -Characters usually have depth, and aren't completely flat or used solely for one purpose
        -It lets you "step into a different world"... literally, for an hour (or more if it's a movie) you won't have to be stuck on Earth

Uh... that's about all I can think of at the moment.
        Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
        RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
          I am inclined to disbelieve that the average sci-fi fan is necessarily a geek or a nerd.
          Can't help your theory there. I am a Sci-Fi fan, and a total geek.

-IMF
          "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
          "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
          BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

What does make someone a geek or a nerd anyway? I never understood stereotypes. I always considered myself a freak that doesn't really fit into any category.
            Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
            RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

This is not only true for Sci-Fi shows for me but really all shows I like, a good show has characters you can relate with feel their pain or happiness and Sci-Fi shows that I watch seem to do this and that is what really makes a good show........well that and good special effects

Comment

Escapism and adventure.

I have a nice life and it's just what I want it to be, but in my life there's nothing that could be called Adventure. The non-factual television I watch is mostly SF, Comedy or Classic/Period Drama; all stuff that ijust wouldn't happen anywhere near my RL and the everyday stuff in my friends' lives, the local papers etc.

There is a really thrilling vista of possibilities with SF. A tiny minority of SF stuff 'comes true' eventually, and I know most never will, but it's nice to dream.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman
                  Can't help your theory there. I am a Sci-Fi fan, and a total geek.

-IMF
                  LOL. So you fit the stereotype...
                  But... you haven't said why you like sci-fi...
                  sigpic
                  "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                    LOL. So you fit the stereotype...
                    But... you haven't said why you like sci-fi...
                    Well, basicially, I look at the world around me and I think "Is this it?" and get very disappointed that reality can't manage to be more interesting. Sci-Fi hears the question and says "No... this isn't it. There's all this incredible stuff just beyond your reach... just hiding on the edges of what you can see... and if you look for it, it's more amazing than you can imagine." In Science-Fiction you can do all the incredible things you can't really do in our humdrum lives. You can have superpowers, and fly unaided... you can go far underwater... you can visit ancient cities inhabited by long-dead races (in far-off galaxies, or under New Mexico even)... and you can travel unlimited by space... meet beings from distant stars...

... while in reality, you can maybe drive down the wal-mart, and buy some food in bulk. :|

I guess I like Sci-Fi because I don't like limitations.

-IMF
                    "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                    "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                    BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman
                      Well, basicially, I look at the world around me and I think "Is this it?" and get very disappointed that reality can't manage to be more interesting. Sci-Fi hears the question and says "No... this isn't it. There's all this incredible stuff just beyond your reach... just hiding on the edges of what you can see... and if you look for it, it's more amazing than you can imagine."
                      Extremely well said. Sounds like out of a book.

What draws me to sci-fi in general... stories that make me think.
                      What draws me to sci-fi TV shows/SG... good characters and stories that make me think.

Comment

I usually like the universe in which the characters exist. The technology, political situations, different cultures, the situations they get themselves in.

Also I like the fact that the characters almost always exist at a point of great change, a change they can usually affect or in some cases were the catalysts. Nice little escape from my monotonous reality.

And don't forget the spaceships, aliens and massive space battles with the explosions.

Comment

Thats the type of stuff I like, but then I also love sitcoms you can't beat a classic Friends episode.

Comment

I watch sci-fi for many reasons;

* Usually have great storylines
                            * Characters I can relate to
                            * It's a way for me to escape my normal life
                            * Sci-Fi shows have great special effects usually
                            * Learn something that can be used in normal life
                            * Sci-Fi has the best fanbase you can interact with
                            * Even though I've never been to one, Sci-Fi always has conventions so you can meet the stars

Comment

Okay, I'm late, but I felt like adding a reply of my own.

As a kid sci-fi was appealing simply because it could take you to places that didn't exist in reality, and that was fun to think about.

Nowadays, I'm particular about my sci-fi. It has to be thought-provoking in some way. I prefer sci-fi stories with some kind of message or alagory they're trying to get across. Plus, there has to be human drama. The actors can't be metaphorical stick-figures just walking along, pressing blinking lights and firing beams back and forth. They have to have personality, and times when those personalities are challenged.

So, uh, yeah... there ya go.

As for sitcoms, no thank you. In fact, most comedies period just don't entertain me very much. I will admit that I can get into a teen drama though... Sorry, I know how much some of you out there hate teen dramas.

But sci-fi, horror, anime, and tokusatsu are my genres.

Comment

Working...
                              X