This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nostalgia, once more you plague me.

I feel as though nostalgia often ruins things that i remember to be amazing (especially TV shows with many seasons) because as i watch the first season for the first time, i enjoy it thoroughly. As i progress more through the show and especially as i get to the end i look back and remember things that happened, but i think of them as i think of say season 10, where the ships do not look like styrofoam strung up on fishing wire.

If you don't know what i mean, think of your best friend, and think of something you did with them say three months ago. Subconciously you think of what they look like now, and transplant it back to something you did with them three months ago. But if you look at a photo from that day, you'll notice their hair is different than you remembered and maybe they dont wear that shirt anymore.

While that's a bad example because no one cares that their friends used to look different, in a TV show 10 years of graphical changes can make a huge difference and while i understand that the show is still exactly what it was when i watched it for the first time, i've grown accustomed to the way things are and my expectations of what i remember it being ends up leaving me disappointed.

While for the most part i don't watch a TV show because it has awesome graphics (this is why i haven't seen 'pocahontus in space') When a TV show is science fiction a large part of it is based on that which is in our future and that which doesn't, couldn't or shouldn't exist. While this makes for a great narrative perspective when the show is dated this aspect often seems far more realistic or in an ironic twist seems far LESS realistic because of what we now know.

Perhaps it's just me, I realise I'm fairly perculiar, i'd really like some other opinions.
    How do you feel about things in retrospect and if you watch a show for a second time does it ever measure up or like me, do you feel nostalgia has deceived you.
    Das guy eating vegetabbles, says 'Waock!' and nice guy obliteratio for sudden.

I always hated that saying...

i've bought dvds of shows i used to love when i was younger, and when i've sat and watched them, i've thought, this is crap,
    they dont make me laugh like they used to,we change.
    sigpic

Comment

While this isn't exactly what I think you're talking about because it's comparing old shows to new shows instead of the end of a show compared to the beginning, I've had it happen several times where I remember a show or movie as being great and then I see it 20 years later and I can't imagine why I liked it so much before.

Quantum Leap was like that. I loved that show when it was originally on. Then I got the DVDs and watched them exactly once and wished I hadn't spent my money. I still like Sam and Al, but the effects (even though there aren't really that many in that show) just have not held up well at all. I think the fact that they changed the music had an effect as well. Mostly, though, I found that I had remembered some things completely wrong and when I saw what actually happened, I didn't like it as much as my false-memory version.

There are many movies that haven't held up at all well, and not all of them are science fiction. I've been showing my children a bunch of my favorite movies from when I was their age and I am quite dismayed by how hokey they seem now. The Big Easy was great, but...uh...not so much any more (the music is still fantastic, though). I don't even want to talk about Logan's Run! Then again, there are some movies from many years ago that are just as good now as they were then. Apocalypse Now, in particular, really surprised me because if you ignore how young Martin Sheen and Harrison Ford are in that movie it could have been made last year it looks so good.

Comment

Interestingly enough, i was thinking more about this when i was on the bus back from uni today and it occurred to me that i saw the 1977 Star Wars when i was 9 and at the time there were things with better graphics since i was 9 in 2001. Watching star wars now this nostalgia effect seems diminished since Star Wars was already dated when i first saw it.

That said i loved Star Wars so much and i have seen it somewhere around 20-30 times over the past 9 years that it may be considered alike to when you see someone every day you won't notice the subtle changes like if you see them once every 3 months.

Comment

I know what your getting at but its usually because the show or movie wasnt that great in the first place and you were only impressed because you were a kid. Any well made show or movie stands the test of time or even gets better when you grow up as an example i loved mad max 2 when i was a kid but didnt like mad max 1
          but now consider mad max 1 to be one of my favorite movies of all time.

Comment

I don't think so. I first saw stargate when i was 16 years old and im 18 now, yet i saw star wars when i was 9 and that's held up better for me.

Comment

Working...
            X