This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Twilight : Criticism /Open Discussion

For Twilight haters only, I guess fans can criticise it too .
    NO FLAMING! Aka, no personal attacks on GW members and please no "I hate this actor" or writer whatever, you don't know them...
    You can say you don't like their style, of course .
    I cannot believe I could not find a thread for this ! For me, Twilight is one of the largest insults. Even the short appearance of Christopher Heyerdahl (Todd, Halling and John and Big Foot in Sanctuary) could not make me watch New Moon!!! It is stupid and insults the gothic genre.... Whenever I try finding a good book on werewolves or something like that, all there is is this sissy romance stuff .... No offence . When I say I can't wait for Twilight Watch to come out, people think I mean Twilight . People think because of the way I dress that I would like it, or worse, that I started dressing like this because of it ! I cannot fathom what is so good about this series and I don't think I ever will. And it is one of these crazes, hopefully it will be over soon ... like Harry Potter .

I don't see how people find the characters attractive, because I find them rather the opposite .

When I first heard of it, I was told it was about vampires and werewolves fighting each other. Having a class that was largely into fantasy and this sort of stuff, I arranged for us to see it at the movies for a graduation party thing. ... Won't do that again ...

Now if only Todd would grace us and suck the life out of... this series (there is no life, really)... or, better yet, drain all of my life force so I never have to be exposed to it again !!!

Join the rebellion !

Twilight scares me. Long gone are the days when Vampire movies were actually enjoyable. Lost Boys, Dracula (with Gary Oldman), Interview with the Vampire, From Dusk Till Dawn, but then something bad started to happen, vampire love stories. I mean seriously, love stories and people are actually buying into this crap. Twilight makes me want to watch the Blade trilogy, or even Underworld, christ, even Van Helsing

sigpic

Comment

I know what to buy Sil for christmas now.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
        Twilight scares me. Long gone are the days when Vampire movies were actually enjoyable. Lost Boys, Dracula (with Gary Oldman), Interview with the Vampire, From Dusk Till Dawn, but then something bad started to happen, vampire love stories. I mean seriously, love stories and people are actually buying into this crap. Twilight makes me want to watch the Blade trilogy, or even Underworld, even Van Helsing
        .... Underworld .... not so much . Never seen Van Hellsing, but the Blade Trilogy is good . And the first one has Tomin's actor !
        The Night Watch tetrology is highly recommended by me .
        Originally posted by Ukko View Post
        I know what to buy Sil for christmas now.
        A gun ?

Comment

Originally posted by Supreme Commander Sil View Post
          .... Underworld .... not so much . Never seen Van Hellsing, but the Blade Trilogy is good . And the first one has Tomin's actor !

A gun ?
          When it comes to Vampire movies, Underworld and Van Helsing are not that great, but that just goes to show how bad Twilight is. I'd not recommend these movies but if you want to see Vampires doing what Vampires do best, then watch them just to escape Twilight.

As for Tomin's actor, he was also in 'John Carpenter's Vampires'. I'm tempted to watch Blade II now (a relative has I and III, doubt he'd lend me them) and Blood: The Last Vampire (not the live action movie, but the anime that inspired it).

sigpic

Comment

Wonders if this would be true if they were English or American movies

A gun ?
            Twilight DVD's, clothes. mugs, pictures and posters
            sigpic

Comment

Thread title's been changed in line with GW /Darren's policy since January 2009 of disallowing Pro and Anti threads in favour of Open discussion .

Discuss,criticise the books,movies and characters all you want ,but like Sil said in her initial post : no flaming and no outbreaks of outright hatred of the actors /writers etc as people.

Keep it open to all sides.Above all: keep it clean and civil.

Thanks !

*Bows out*

Bagpuss
              GateWorld Moderator.
              Last edited by Bagpuss; 24 March 2010, 02:04 PM. Reason: edit.apologies to the typo demons...and to Sil.:D
              The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                Thread title's been changed in line with GW /Darren's policy since January 2009 of disallowing Pro and Anti threads in favour of Open discussion .

Discuss,criticise the books,movies and characters all you want ,but like Sil said in his initial post : no flaming,outbreaks of outright hatred of the actors as people.

Keep it open to all sides.Above all: keep it clean and civil.

Thanks !

*Bows out*

Bagpuss
                GateWorld Moderator.
                He?
                sigpic

Comment

Typo. I'll edit that. ETA : Done.
                  The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

I saw a few minutes of Twilight over the holidays while channel hopping. Part of me died a slow painful death.

Comment

At the insistence of my sister (20 years old!), I tried reading the first book. 11 pages in, I gave it back and told her it was the worst piece of trash I'd ever attempted to read. And we have a People magazine in the bathroom.

Honestly, my juvenile and terrible 6th grade Language Arts classes compositions were probably better written.
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Eh. I read all the books last year, and I was able to ignore the pedestrian writing because I was bored and I had nothing to do. I find the first two books to be alright, although I skipped ahead a few chapters in the first one because I was bored , but after that it became almost unbearable. Is the author actually expecting me to believe that Bella, the heroine, would just forgive the guy who left her and broke her heart? That is just an incredibly unrealistic portrayal of a relationship.
                        I'm able to ignore everything that contradicts werewolf and vampire myths because I'm not a fan of those genres.
                        sigpic

Comment

Oh, finally some thread for people who don't like Twilight! I admit I haven't read the books - and I have no intention of doing it - and I'm not even that much into vampire stuff, but the movies were so bad *shudder* that I still shudder whenever I think of them *shudder* *shudder*

I decided to watch the first one because it was such a hit, everybody was talking about how great it was - honestly, I couldn't believe how bad it was. I don't think there's anything good I can say..well, ok, it was fun to see that kid who played clone!Jack O'Neill again. Apart from that..I got nuthin' . The script is banal (what was done with the vampires themselves would be laughable if it wasn't so sad), the directing was awful - the movie dragged so much I almost fell asleep several times (and as a fan of more ambitious films I'm used to slow pace), the "acting" was so atrocious that I'm not sure it deserves to be called "acting"..Basically people walk around making 2-3 different faces, and that's it. I swear it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

So I promised myself that I wouldn't waste my time with the sequel, only to find out that Christopher Hayerdahl will be in it, and Cameron Bright, and Michael Welch will be back too. So I decided to give it a shot..only to become bitterly disappointed again. Did CH have even 2 lines? What a terrible waste of his time and talent. *sigh*
                          There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                          sigpic
                          awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Thank you Sil for opening this thread. Gives us Twilight haters a place to vent. Frankly I’ve never come across a more sexist series of books in my life. The main character avatar simply it seems can’t exist without a man in her life, and simply becomes emotionally empty without one. Great implication there. Then there’s the fact that the main character Bella, serves for little more than an author avatar, she’s as well characterised as a loaf of bread and all her abilities are informed and never demonstrated. Bella’s supposed to be well read, she never actually demonstrates this ability at any point in the book.

Then there’s the wreckage this books turned the vampire genre into. Vampires are supposed to be terrifying monsters that feed on humans, ancient and unknowable, not sparkly things that tweens can gush over. Thanks to Twilight there’s now a flood of vampire fiction flooding the market and little to know traditional vampire works.

Comment

First off, i've read all the books and did like them. But the films and the books somewhat are just terrible IMO. I love vampires and werewolves, but Twilight has vampires that are just WRONG, vampires don't sparkle, they don't. Bella falls in love with Edward for really no reason at all. I'd be disgusted at someone who is pale skinned, has bright red lips, and wants to eat me. And a common misconception about the series is that it has werewolves, it doesn't have any. Jacob and his tribe are shape-shifters that can change into something else. I am ashamed I read all four books and enjoyed them(well, the fourth book was pretty terrible).

Comment

Working...
                              X