X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Boys - News/Discussion/Speculation

'The Boys' coming to the big screen

Screenwriters Phil Hay and Matt Manfredi have turned in a treatment of Garth Ennis's black-ops superhero comic The Boys.

Ennis, best known for Preacher, began the ongoing series in 2006, about a group of super-powered CIA agents who keep watch over the superheroes of a contemporary society. The series, originally published by DC's Wildstorm imprint, was cancelled after six issues, because, Ennis has claimed, DC found the anti-superhero tone to be too unsettling. The series later found a home at Dynamite Entertainment where it continues to be published.

"We're just huge fans of the book and of Garth Ennis," Manfredi told Scifiwire. "It's very faithful to the original. It has been a really good experience to work on."

Both Hay and Manfredi have said that Ennis has been easy to work with and allowed them to make necessary changes. The adaptation is a joint effort between Kickstart and Columbia Pictures but a director has yet to be named for the production.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/n...ig-screen.html

Nightmare On Elm St Director May Make The Boys Next

Earlier today, /film published a story about how Samuel Bayer is not interested in directing a sequel to A Nightmare on Elm Street, and hinted that he is developing an adaptation of a graphic novel...

There’s a comic– I’m sure my agent would kill me for this, because I’m sure I’m not supposed to talk about it or whatever, but I don’t really care, is that– no, my assistant is shaking her head. No. No? No? I was going to mention a project. Shut up? Okay. I’m doing what people tell me. Yeah, I’ll bury myself with this one. There’s some very, very cool stuff out there. I’m really into graphic novels and really into the superhero genre, and I really think there’s some interesting stuff going on, and I think that’s what I’m leaning towards.

But then in an interview with Shocktillyoudrop, Bayer spilled the beans!

There’s one comic book I really dig that I want to go after that’s bad-ass. I’d like to get it, it’s called The Boys. It’s about a group of mercenaries and they’re job is to kick the **** out of superheroes who get out of line. It doesn’t get any better than that. In the world of The Boys, superheroes are scumbags. My youngest brother is a comic book historian and he introduced me to a lot of graphic novels like “The Dark Knight.” There are some great books I don’t think people have tapped into yet.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=15451

Comment

If they do this, I hope Simon Pegg signs on to play Campbell (the character based on him). I've tried looking for this at my local Forbidden Planet and no luck, so a movie based on this has definitely peaked my interest.

sigpic

Comment

I read it for the first 25 issues before I really got sick of the constant gore and seeming 'let's disturb the readers!' mentality of Ennis. I liked the commentary on superheroes and their ability to get away with, well, murder, but the rest of it was just a bit too much.
        Hey. If they can make Kick Ass into a movie, then this'll transfer to the screen, too. I won't be watching it, but still...
        sigpic
        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

SDCC: Adam McKay Confirmed to Direct The Boys

The Other Guys director Adam McKay officially announced today at the San Diego Comic-Con that he will direct Sony's big screen adaptation of The Boys. He signed the deal today!

http://www.superherohype.com/news/ar...irect-the-boys

Comment

Working...
          X