Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about the size of the supergate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about the size of the supergate?

In Beachhead Carter sates the supergate to be 300-400 meters in diameter, and made up of 80 segments designed to be sent through a regular stargate, but in Camelot and The Pegasus Project the segments that make up the supergate are shown to be much bigger than a regular gate. So is the original size estimate correct or did the TPTB screw up the visuals of the supergate in later episodes?
    "So, what's your impression of Alar?"
    "That he is concealing something."
    "Like what?"
    "I am unsure. He is concealing it."

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
    "Not to mention a really nice DeLorean."
    "Don’t even get me started on that movie!"
    "I liked that movie!"

i'd say it's scaled as accurately as the ships in Camelot.

"your mileage may vary"

it's possible the pieces are self-deploying or so, i don't know.

Comment

A 400m diameter would mean the individual blocks would be about 5m each.
      sigpic

Comment

in Camelot it was more like 50m than 5m

Comment

i think in the commentary of the Pegasus Project one of them said something about the scale not being quite right,(understatement) as i think the peices were supposed to have come thro the little gate, and they said something along the lines of "do you think its working.." and laughter, i think they screwed up
          sigpic

Comment

TPTB screwing the pooch yet again also if say a supergate were hundreds of meters across how doeas a ori ship fit through? as an ori ship was seen getting impacted by a hatak and the hatak was very small in comparisen and we know a hatak is around 1000 ish meters across...

misstakes like this takes some of the fun out of stargate for me and only serves to demonstrate that TPTB have little to no intrest in creating a quality product... and id like to quote SGU here "They are the wrong people"

Comment

Originally posted by Alx View Post
              TPTB screwing the pooch yet again also if say a supergate were hundreds of meters across how doeas a ori ship fit through? as an ori ship was seen getting impacted by a hatak and the hatak was very small in comparisen and we know a hatak is around 1000 ish meters across...

misstakes like this takes some of the fun out of stargate for me and only serves to demonstrate that TPTB have little to no intrest in creating a quality product... and id like to quote SGU here "They are the wrong people"
              I thought a Ha'tak as about 700 meters across but you are right a Ori mothership should not be able to fit through a supergate that in Beachhead was said to be 400m across.
              "So, what's your impression of Alar?"
              "That he is concealing something."
              "Like what?"
              "I am unsure. He is concealing it."

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
              "Not to mention a really nice DeLorean."
              "Don’t even get me started on that movie!"
              "I liked that movie!"

Comment

INDEED! TPTB screwing the pooch

Comment

Originally posted by Ar3s View Post
                  A 400m diameter would mean the individual blocks would be about 5m each.
                  Sure. But just if they were lined up behind each other. :-) If it's a circle, then for a 400 meter diameter you get approx. 1250 meter circumference, meaning a block would be about 16,5 meters across. But that's still way too small compared to the size shown when Carter landed on it. Looked more like 40 to me, which would make the gate almost a thousand meters in diameter. That's somewhat more consistent, but still the Ha'tak crashing into it was too small. Besides, it didn't really match the size of the windows on the Ori ship, as even if they are large windows, I doubt they're all three stories tall. From the looks of it when Vala stands by one of the windows, the ship would fit well a supergate with a diameter of around a kilometer.

But, as someone stated, the creators never really cared much about scale accuracy - an Ancient cruiser ranges anywhere between 350 and 3500 meters, depending on where you see it, the Ori ship looks 500 meters at best when they're seen unfinished with soldiers next to them and 5000 meters at least when that Ha'tak crashes into it.

Comment

well who are we to blame? the writers. definately not, the writers just say, "a ha'tak impacts an ori mothership."

who then? the animators? they do what is asked. the modellers? they too do what gets asked.

initially, stargate was much truer to it's canon and in fact, was much harder SF than the soft SF it is now *except SGU, haven't seen enough on that to detect wrong science*

most common scaling for ha'tak is about 800-900 meters. in that collision, the Mothership would've been 2-3 times as wide as the ha'tak, so between 2000 and 3000 meters. that's insanely wide.

how big is the Supergate in AOT BTW?

Comment

Working...
                    X