naquadah zpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

naquadah zpm

i was wondering if the device that Jack created when he had the Ancient database downloaded into his fron the first time has the power to provide enough juice to the stargate to dial another galaxy would it be considered a primitive ZPM???? After all it was created using ancient knowledge.

and either way why dont we build more to use as power sources 4 things like our ships and as backups 4 Atlantis.

i mean even if they are 5% as powerful as a ZPM then all we need is 20 of them to equal 1 ZPM @ that rate all we need is 60 to bring Atlantis to full power. im Sure that Mckay could figure out how to tie them all together and attatch them to the ZPM console in the main power room
    sigpicRequiescat in pace Weedle

good idea but i think Oneills mini "zpm" only lasts for a very short time then burns out but it would've been cool to see the tech explored further.

Comment

well according to the PoV episode all it took was to caculate the decay rate of naquadah to get it to work again and if Carter remebers how then she should be able to build a new one with the ability to auto adjust 4 the decay rate

Comment

a ZPM is very different from a naquahdah generator. the device could output a massive amount of energy in a very short time. just enough to have Orilla take over.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
          a ZPM is very different from a naquahdah generator. the device could output a massive amount of energy in a very short time. just enough to have Orilla take over.
          Minor correction: It was Othala, not Orilla.
          If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
          Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
          If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
          Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

ZPM are duracell batteries on mega jumbo steroids. Its completely different from a generator.

Also I agree with 'thekillman' it probably outputed enough energy just to reach Othala and the asgard then kept the slack from there. So the thing doesn't give more power than the couple of naquadah reactors that the Atlantis team had. Also burn out after a single use.

Comment

where is it stated in the series that the recieving gate adds its power to maintain a wermhole

it doesnt

it says that the recieving gate adds just wenough power to STABILIZE in coming wormhole not MAINTAIN

all power 4 maintnance comes from the dialing gate

Comment

Originally posted by Cmdr. Setsuna F. Seyei View Post
                where is it stated in the series that the recieving gate adds its power to maintain a wermhole

it doesnt

it says that the recieving gate adds just wenough power to STABILIZE in coming wormhole not MAINTAIN

all power 4 maintnance comes from the dialing gate
                We will ignore Atlantis in this case.

McKAY (interrupting): General, when we first set foot on M5S-224, before the wormhole shut down, I picked up fluctuations in the energy field. Now, at the time, I just assumed that that was an effect of the Gate's residual energy signature. Now, having given it some thought, I realised that can't account for such sizeable variances, which leaves only one possible explanation. The Gate must have been energised on our arrival, meaning it doesn't just draw power on outgoing wormholes, but on incoming wormholes as well. All we have to do is make a connection. Three point five microseconds, that's the minimum amount of time it requires to confirm a lock before the Gate automatically kicks in, drawing power from the atmosphere to maintain the wormhole.
                We will ignore McKay, of course.
                If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!

sigpic

Comment

yes, the dialling gate needs to create the wormhole. but both sides can maintain it.

othalla, orilla, hala, i always confuse them. the asgard changed homeworld 3 or 4 times.

Three point five microseconds
                  3 and a half microseconds? you GOTTA be kidding me. all of atlantis' Nq generators could power it for 1.5 SECONDS. just connect a mark 1 to the gate, and the SGC could dial atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
                    We will ignore Atlantis in this case.

We will ignore McKay, of course.
                    ok so maybe i was wrong but dou you really think that the asgard would have a power supply like that of the atmosphere on m5s-224 attached to all thier gates just incase of an intergalactic dial in

rember it was stated that it took near ZPM levels of power to even dial another galaxy (RISING) and if the recieving gate did provide power to maintain wormhole then it would sill take quite a bit of power to keep the connection up 4 as long as it took Jack to reach IDA, and therein Othalla.

And when he got there the asgard told him that they didnt even thing that humans had advanced enough to use the database the way Jack did. so they would not have been expecting a call from Earth 4 a very long time.

Comment

I recall a Tok'ra stating that a DHD is needed on the receiving end to take over powering the gate in the episode 48 hours if it's needed.

Comment

ok so maybe i was wrong but dou you really think that the asgard would have a power supply like that of the atmosphere on m5s-224 attached to all thier gates just incase of an intergalactic dial in.
                        The Asgard have their own power sources...the planet that Oneill went to was supposedly the Asgard homeworld so it would make sense that it was connected to a large enough power supply to dial 8 chevron addresses...

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                          yes, the dialling gate needs to create the wormhole. but both sides can maintain it.

othalla, orilla, hala, i always confuse them. the asgard changed homeworld 3 or 4 times.

3 and a half microseconds? you GOTTA be kidding me. all of atlantis' Nq generators could power it for 1.5 SECONDS. just connect a mark 1 to the gate, and the SGC could dial atlantis.
                          I simply quote.

ok so maybe i was wrong but dou you really think that the asgard would have a power supply like that of the atmosphere on m5s-224 attached to all thier gates just incase of an intergalactic dial in

rember it was stated that it took near ZPM levels of power to even dial another galaxy (RISING) and if the recieving gate did provide power to maintain wormhole then it would sill take quite a bit of power to keep the connection up 4 as long as it took Jack to reach IDA, and therein Othalla.

And when he got there the asgard told him that they didnt even thing that humans had advanced enough to use the database the way Jack did. so they would not have been expecting a call from Earth 4 a very long time.
                          Othala was their main world. It would seem logical to have a power source powerful enough to dial other galaxies on that. In Small Victories, they gated to Earth. Maybe just to simply get around the galaxies.

sigpic

Comment

remember that the asgard also let jack dial back in. they used the gate themselves several times.

it's not common (the fact alone shows the massive speed of the asgard ships) but they do use it.

Comment

To original post:

Yeah, I always thought of it as the closest he could build to a ZPM with what he had at hand (which was copper wire, some hardware store items, and a staff weapon power cell, if I recall correctly). It almost certainly works on the same principle.

There are, however, two problems with your assumption:

One, we may very well not be able to reproduce it. Sure, look at it and build a copy, maybe, but when you're building something you don't understand there is always the risk you'll do it wrong and it will blow up in your face. Even at a fraction of ZPM power I wouldn't wanna be around when that happened. Plus, no one knows the order in which the parts should be assembled anyway, as you can't find that out by observing the finished device.

Two, the idea that McKay can hardwire anything into anything is, of course, preposterous, but it's the creators' own fault for encouraging it in so many episodes. There is no point for technology of any sort if you can always just patch something together to produce the desired effect. But, as I said, it's hard to argue against if you see it on every other episode.

Comment

Working...
                              X