Next Generation F.R.E.D.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next Generation F.R.E.D.?

Stargate SG-1 had this, the Field Remote Expeditionary Device, for carrying an SG team's gear and surplus equipment:http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/dis...bum=12&pos=726

In real life, wheeled vehicles aren't ideal for following infantry. So there's always this:

This is the BigDog, a prototype version of a robotic mule for US infantry. Full article here.

Thoughts?
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
    sigpic
    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

That is ridiculous. Made me laugh.

And its to noisy.

Also if you want a vehicle any vehicle use tracks their allot better than walkers.

Comment

Originally posted by mirdin1992 View Post

And its to noisy.

Also if you want a vehicle any vehicle use tracks their allot better than walkers.
      I think the idea is that walkers, while very tricky and technically challenging, are going to be far more capable of covering the same terrain as the infantry they are supposed to be supporting - even treads and wheels have their limitations, and they leave tracks that are much easier to follow.

As for the noise problem, I expect that is chiefly because of the prototype nature, and would be comparatively easily solved. I think this is a great idea, it's just not quite mature enough yet. Give it a decade...
      And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
      sigpic
      Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

And its to noisy.

couldnt possibly agree more.

who ever though of that piece of crap should be fired.

Comment

personally i agree with sealurk
          this is a great idea the only concern i have is isnt this a step towards SKYNET
          sigpicRequiescat in pace Weedle

Comment

animal cruelty at it's finest.
            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
              hahahahahaha LMAO oh i just have to green that haha!

Comment

Heh. Looks (and sounds) like a fly without wings. Props for the remarkable agility and balance.
                Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

First time I've seen this thing, a few years ago, I was really happy to see that at least somebody builds walkers the way they are supposed to be built. Machines like Asimo only depress me. I've built better walkers from a box of servos back in school.

I don't know how useful this machine really would be on battlefield, but it is the right step in the field of robotics in general. And if they can sell it to the military for some funding money to keep research going, that can only be a good thing.
                  MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

I don't know anyone who thinks that this, this, especially this wouldn't be better in treads and I think everybody agrees that whoever invented this should be shot. I can run faster than it walks here's the video.

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                    You know whats animal cruelty. This is.

Comment

Yes, because sci-fi is a great example of what real walkers are like...

The simple fact is, same weapons platform can be made to cover same terrain on lighter frame if it is a walker. If mass/size of the platform matter, walker is a better choice. Yes, a tank can get through any terrain a walker can - by pretty much destroying it. If you need a light unit for urban or jungle warefare, especially if it is an infantry replacement, you want a walker. Try to build a human-sized treaded machine that can get through ANY kind of terrain that an infantry unit can. You will find the task impossible.
                      MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

What exactly is the advantage of that buzzing annoyance compared to, say, llamas?

(Main points from the Hebrew parts of the video: a llama can carry up to 60kg weight, which would normally need up to four soldiers to carry (in addition to their usual gear, that is); they're quiet, easily trained, disciplined and not afraid of gunshots).
                        If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by K^2 View Post
                          Yes, because sci-fi is a great example of what real walkers are like...

The simple fact is, same weapons platform can be made to cover same terrain on lighter frame if it is a walker. If mass/size of the platform matter, walker is a better choice. Yes, a tank can get through any terrain a walker can - by pretty much destroying it. If you need a light unit for urban or jungle warfare, especially if it is an infantry replacement, you want a walker. Try to build a human-sized treaded machine that can get through ANY kind of terrain that an infantry unit can. You will find the task impossible.
                          Tanks are better than walkers. One critical flaw of walker design is that its stands up you want the minimum cross section to be in the line of fire, thats why people hit the deck when in battle and fire with their belly on the ground. Also a walker is too complicated. All its servos, joints and the legs in general will be a major target.

Also tell me if this little toy tank comes up to you and points a little cannon which you think is cute. Then get your head blown off.

Then throw it from the 10th floor and its still working when a walker would probably broke its legs of.

P.S. Tracks are a lot easier to build, maintain and are more durable than legs

Comment

Tanks are better than walkers. One critical flaw of walker design is that its stands up you want the minimum cross section to be in the line of fire, thats why people hit the deck when in battle and fire with their belly on the ground. Also a walker is too complicated. All its servos, joints and the legs in general will be a major target.

Also tell me if this little toy tank comes up to you and points a little cannon which you think is cute. Then get your head blown off.

Then throw it from the 10th floor and its still working when a walker would probably broke its legs of.

P.S. Tracks are a lot easier to build, maintain and are more durable than legs
                            The trouble with tracks is that they're great for open terrain, not so much for mountains and swamps. Can't climb stairs, too (we're talking about a load transporter; when fighting in built-up areas you'll want to be able take it indoors with you).
                            If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Robot vs Llama: The SyFy tv movie you never thought they'd make...who am I kidding?
                              • Presumably, the robot can be programmed and can function entirely autonomously, and won't necessarily need human intervention - behind the lines resupply with no potential loss of life.
                              • It can be used as a portable generator (since soldiers are going to be carrying more and more electrically powered gear, this may be important).
                              • Eventually it could even be developed into other forms of support (sensors, heavier comms gear, even weapons).
                              • A fuel burning robot that obeys commands unquestionably may be a better choice than an animal that cannot be guaranteed to do what you want no matter no matter how well trained.
                              • Having a mechanic in your squad is more likely than a veterinary surgeon, and the robot probably won't go into shock, or leave dung or get sick.

Right now it may look comical and seem pointless and annoying, but this is a proof-of-concept prototype - a Wright Brothers' Flyer for battlefield walking robots. With UAVs in the air, ROVs and AUVs in the water, this is the next logical development. Hell, eventually it'll probably swim.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X