X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael Shanks Interview Feb 9, 2010

Pardon me if this has been previously posted

I was curious to hear the reaction to Michael Shanks interview with Alan Blair of Sci-Fi Wire today. If you haven't read it, here's the link:

http://www.airlockalpha.com/node/7123

The title of the interview is, "Shanks, 'Sg1 as Good as Dead'. I know that SG1's demise has been widely discussed both here and elsewhere. I think that most fans figured that it was a log-shot to hope for any new films, even direct to DVD. But, I was rather sad to hear him say it, because now that what everyone's been thinking is out in the open, that's pretty much the end of it.

The interview was actually to promote Shank's role in Smallville. Here's a quote:

"Never say never. It's always a possibility,” Shanks said of future Stargate projects. “But I think everybody's moving on to a certain point, and with the new show doing well, everybody's focusing their attention on that. The ‘SG-1’ idea is somewhat on the back burner, which is a little bit unfortunate, because I think one more story would have been a great way to bring Rick [Anderson] back in and really go there. But you know, business is business."

It was good to hear him say that one more SG1 story would have been nice, but the tone of the rest of the article pretty much makes that a longshot at best.

Thoughts?

Nothing new as far as I can tell, he's speculating the same thing most of the fans have been, he doesn't seem to be going on any more information than we have ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
      Nothing new as far as I can tell, he's speculating the same thing most of the fans have been, he doesn't seem to be going on any more information than we have ourselves.
      i hope he doesn't have any 'inside' info to go by for this opinion, b/c it would be terribly wrong to shut down a 3rd sg1 movie. some of us (ME) are only holding on to the franchise *because* of new sg1 movie.
      sally

sigpic

Comment

It's not an interview with Alan, it's a reprint of comments Shanks made to SciFi Wire:

http://scifiwire.com/2010/02/why-mic...is-history.php

The original article's title is a bit unfortunate, but IMO the title of Alan's piece is misleading. Shanks didn't say anything close to "SG-1 is as good as dead" (though the author of the SciFi Wire article did). He said that the more time passes since Continuum, and as the cast and producers continue to busy themselves with other projects, it seems less and less likely.

There's really nothing new here, other than Michael went from "waiting to hear" to "gee, been waiting quite a while now ..."
        GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
        The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
        Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Yeah, sorry about not getting the original Sci-Fi Wire piece. I looked for it, didn't immediately find it, so decided to run with what was in front of me. I've been watching for tidbits, as I'm sure many others have been doing, too. I think PR wise, it would be highly detrimental to the franchise for them to announce that SG1 was done. Lately, the interviews with Shanks that I have read, seem to portray him as less than enthusiastic about SG1's future. When he talked about his upcoming role in the second half of SGU, he made it sound as if it was akin to passing the torch. My opinion is that he doesn't just make these comments off the cuff, but it almost appears as if he is hoping that someone will correct him. Just my two cents...

Comment

Not to try and speak for Michael, but having interviewed him a few times myself I feel like I have a pretty good feel for the way he answers these sorts of questions (a la "Are we ever going to see another SG-1 movie?"). He's a working actor, enthusiastic, loyal to Stargate, and all he knows is that he's waiting for word from his agent that something is moving forward.

When he (and any of us) hears "It's coming," "We're going to do it," "We hope to be shooting in the fall," etc., and it doesn't pan out, and it's been nearly three years since Ark of Truth and Continuum filmed ... I don't blame him for thinking it may not be a sure thing any more. That's all I see him saying, personally -- that he doesn't think it's a sure thing any more.

FWIW.
            GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
            The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
            Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

darren, your words leave me with the most hope so far.

i'm also hoping joe mallozzi makes a comment regarding this issue on this blog.
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Thanks, Darren, for sharing your insight. I feel confident that the cast, as a whole, realize all to well how their comments regarding SG affect the fan-base. It will be interesting in the months to come to see if were thrown any more scraps of information...

Comment

NOTHING is a sure thing until there's ink on paper....and even then it can change.
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    NOTHING is a sure thing until there's ink on paper....and even then it can change.
                    I need a time travel device to see if the movies ever happens.

But one of the many things I like so much about Michael is his honesty, he doesn't seem to be the kind of person that would ever lie.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                      I need a time travel device to see if the movies ever happens.

But one of the many things I like so much about Michael is his honesty, he doesn't seem to be the kind of person that would ever lie.
                      you just need a flux capacitor and a delorean
                      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I run a business, I make a good living, and well, when people cannot pay their bills from my company because of the economy, I say to them, that most of my customers pay on time, and the economy excuse is not going to last forever. I got in trouble with my company for granting people more time to pay. I mean eventually after all the excuses, you will either break or climb out from the well and start making money again.

I am just getting tired of the excuses. Greenlight the damn movies and lets all be happy. The fans will be satisfied, and MGM will be satisfied with extra money in the bank.

At this point, I am so disgusted, I truly would not care if MGM goes under if these movies don't happen. Even if it would mean the end of SGU, I am ready to write this franchise off, if we do not get these movies. It will never sit well with me, with how SGA was cancelled on back end news of a press release for a movie.

I watched this franchise the day it premiered on showtime. To the people who have also been there since the beginning, I hope you feel as dissapointed as me. SG-1 has already proven itself a success, so has SGA, there should be no hold up, or hesitation that the movies won't do well.
                        Last edited by Briangate78; 09 February 2010, 08:20 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post

Some people here were still in elementary school when I watched this franchise the day it premiered on showtime. To the people who have also been there since the beginning, I hope you feel as dissapointed as me. SG-1 has already proven itself a success, so has SGA, there should be no hold up, or hesitation that the movies won't do well.
                          i was, and i am.

sg1 and atlantis are a *proven* success, just make the movies.
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                            i was, and i am.

sg1 and atlantis are a *proven* success, just make the movies.
                            But are the movies guranteed a success? Tv and movie markets are vastly different. Bear in mind our idea of success and I need money" MGM are different.
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                              I run a business, I make a good living, and well, when people cannot pay their bills from my company because of the economy, I say to them, that most of my customers pay on time, and the economy excuse is not going to last forever. I got in trouble with my company for granting people more time to pay. I mean eventually after all the excuses, you will either break or climb out from the well and start making money again.

I am just getting tired of the excuses. Greenlight the damn movies and lets all be happy. The fans will be satisfied, and MGM will be satisfied with extra money in the bank.

At this point, I am so disgusted, I truly would not care if MGM goes under if these movies don't happen. Even if it would mean the end of SGU, I am ready to write this franchise off, if we do not get these movies. It will never sit well with me, with how SGA was cancelled on back end news of a press release for a movie.

I watched this franchise the day it premiered on showtime. To the people who have also been there since the beginning, I hope you feel as dissapointed as me. SG-1 has already proven itself a success, so has SGA, there should be no hold up, or hesitation that the movies won't do well.
                              I see three possibilities here.

a) You know as much about MGM's finances as they do, and also know how to run their business better than they do.

b) MGM don't want to make money from SG-1 DVD's.

<mod snip>

I wonder which is true...
                              Last edited by Skydiver; 10 February 2010, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X