This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Videogames and scifi: the future?

I was going to start a thread to wax lyrical about Mass Effect 2, having recently finished it, I’d say not only was it one of the finest videogames ever made, but one of the best pieces of science fiction ever made in general. Then another thought struck me however, and that was how many science fiction games there are coming out and how they are often showing more imagination, better plots and better characters than many of the movies that have come out recently. While last year did see District 9, an inventive and original film, two other big scifi film releases were Star Trek and Avatar. Opinion can be divisive on those (I for instance loved Star Trek and have a burning passionate hatred of Avatar ) but I think that one thing we can agree, no matter how great a film one thinks they were, was that neither were exactly the most original. And for every decent film there are the huge numbers of cinematic turkeys, Surrogates for example, a film that appeared to have been made with a checklist of other films to rip off (Yes I know it’s based off a graphic novel but still...). Videogames meanwhile have come a long way, their stories are often incredible and can provide a hugely emotional and engaging experience. I mean just take a look at this Mass Effect 2 Trailer.

Part of what’s so great is that you, the player can shape the fictional universe. In Mass Effect 2 decisions that you make in the original Mass Effect can be carried over and as a direct result who is alive and who is not, the political structure of the galaxy, even the very existence of a species can depend on the choices you made. My play through of Mass Effect 2 may vary considerably to someone else’s. Further with the advances in graphics and games higher profile and better script writing games are really creating many deeply interesting characters. Games can now also afford to hire a truckload of talent when it comes to voicing their characters as I think this vid shows.

As for that old chestnut of originality, take a look at Bioshock.

Who in the movie making business would risk making a big budget movie about a Ayn Rand inspired 50’s underwater dystopia, where questions on the morality of child labour and genetic manipulation are raised? But they made a game of it and it turned out to be highly successful with a sequal soon on the way.

Finally the increased popularity of videogames has led to greater linkage to scifi literature as well. Mass Effect has 2 novels out and a third in the works and there’s starting to be videogame adaptations of literature as this vid shows.

And the games I’ve mentioned barely scratch the surface, there are a myriad of original scifi games out there as well as licensed games like Star Wars Knight of the Old Republic which ended up telling a far better story than any of the prequel films did. I think then were seeing a real explosion in scifi talent in game makers, the creators of Mass Effect, Bioware are brilliant at world building and I think the Scifi videogame scene is defiantly worth fans of the genre investigating, even if you aren’t a traditional videogamer. And if you haven’t already go buy both Mass Effect 1 and 2, you won’t regret it.

I think a lot of the reason is that videogames tend to have a lot more freedom in telling a story than either television or film.

In the TV industry, you're largely dependent on just a couple of factors: advertising revenue, and how well your first 4 or 5 episodes do in the ratings. If you can't pull off either of those--no matter how good the show may be--odds are the show isn't going to survive to a season 2 (if it's even allowed to finish a season 1). Because of this, a lot of things suffer. Characterization and storytelling are perhaps not as in-depth as they could be, because the show needs to have a hook before it can be allowed to do anything really interesting. Certainly there's always exceptions to the rule, but this is generally the case.

Film is even worse. Not only do your advertisements have to be enticing enough to get people off their couches and fork over $8-15 just for a ticket, you've got 90 minutes tops before people start whining that the film "dragged on". That's just too short a timespan to (generally) tell an involved and deep story. And god forbid you should ever put text on the screen, because then people will complain that they went out to watch a movie, not 'read a book'.

But the video game market is a different animal entirely. With the rise of digital download services (vis a vis Steam, XBL, PSN, among others) you don't even have to leave your house to buy a new game. And when you do, there's a reward: either a tangible case, or if you're really on the ball a collector's edition with either snazzy junk or in-game exclusive DLC. In either case, you get something tangible for your effort.

The time-to-cash-spent ratio is also far, far more rewarding. For a large number of gamers, a 15-20 hr game is either 'just right' or 'too short' territory--far cry from the ~90 minute limitation of film. And in that more lengthy process, a plot can be far more grand and more fleshed out than would ever be allowed for on film. Not to mention character development, which can now be as detailed as you'd get in years of a well-written TV show.

Text is also fair game in videogames. Whether game instructions or codex/datapad entries explaining backstory (a la Deus Ex, Mass Effect), gamers are far more willing to spend time poring over detailed text in a way that neither television nor film allow for at all. And really, this helps to further enhance the plot aspects of the game. Mass Effect, for instance, has literally thousands of years of backstory explained through a combination of in-game dialogue and codex entries--creating a world in 2 games as real and vibrant as it took Star Wars to do in 6 movies and a library of novels.

Yes....in short, the videogame medium has vast advantages over both film and TV.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      I think a lot of the reason is that videogames tend to have a lot more freedom in telling a story than either television or film.

In the TV industry, you're largely dependent on just a couple of factors: advertising revenue, and how well your first 4 or 5 episodes do in the ratings. If you can't pull off either of those--no matter how good the show may be--odds are the show isn't going to survive to a season 2 (if it's even allowed to finish a season 1). Because of this, a lot of things suffer. Characterization and storytelling are perhaps not as in-depth as they could be, because the show needs to have a hook before it can be allowed to do anything really interesting. Certainly there's always exceptions to the rule, but this is generally the case.

Film is even worse. Not only do your advertisements have to be enticing enough to get people off their couches and fork over $8-15 just for a ticket, you've got 90 minutes tops before people start whining that the film "dragged on". That's just too short a timespan to (generally) tell an involved and deep story. And god forbid you should ever put text on the screen, because then people will complain that they went out to watch a movie, not 'read a book'.

But the video game market is a different animal entirely. With the rise of digital download services (vis a vis Steam, XBL, PSN, among others) you don't even have to leave your house to buy a new game. And when you do, there's a reward: either a tangible case, or if you're really on the ball a collector's edition with either snazzy junk or in-game exclusive DLC. In either case, you get something tangible for your effort.

The time-to-cash-spent ratio is also far, far more rewarding. For a large number of gamers, a 15-20 hr game is either 'just right' or 'too short' territory--far cry from the ~90 minute limitation of film. And in that more lengthy process, a plot can be far more grand and more fleshed out than would ever be allowed for on film. Not to mention character development, which can now be as detailed as you'd get in years of a well-written TV show.

Text is also fair game in videogames. Whether game instructions or codex/datapad entries explaining backstory (a la Deus Ex, Mass Effect), gamers are far more willing to spend time poring over detailed text in a way that neither television nor film allow for at all. And really, this helps to further enhance the plot aspects of the game. Mass Effect, for instance, has literally thousands of years of backstory explained through a combination of in-game dialogue and codex entries--creating a world in 2 games as real and vibrant as it took Star Wars to do in 6 movies and a library of novels.

Yes....in short, the videogame medium has vast advantages over both film and TV.
      Indeed I think your right. Videogames hold a number of advantages over other mediums. The ability for smaller companies and niche ideas to be allowed to make headway really makes creativity far more evident in the videogame business and in scifi videogames than almost any other medium, bar perhaps literature.

Comment

Well, from demos and trailers, It seems AVP is going to be great. They can visually do things that wouldnt even be considered in a film due to budget or time, or inclination. And they have been able to take AVP graphic novel background and make it into a playable story(like the original games) and make a success, unlike the movies who hadto change stuff because it was film.....

Look at Halo! Decent games with an awesome backstory that has spawned one of the best scifi novel series ever, imo.
        sigpic
        385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Garrowan5th View Post
          Well, from demos and trailers, It seems AVP is going to be great. They can visually do things that wouldnt even be considered in a film due to budget or time, or inclination. And they have been able to take AVP graphic novel background and make it into a playable story(like the original games) and make a success, unlike the movies who hadto change stuff because it was film.....

Look at Halo! Decent games with an awesome backstory that has spawned one of the best scifi novel series ever, imo.
          Indeed, Alien Vs Predator is a good example of licensed scifi games being far more imaginative than their film counterparts. I mean the most recent AVP film was a rather low budget affair set in some small back water town. With the AVP games they can explore the futuristic worlds depicted in the early Alien films and many of the books and comics without having to worry about a movies massive budget.

Comment

Aside from 'freedom to tell their stories' and whatnot, there's also, I believe, a chance to 'grab the player' more than in a non-interactive medium.
            Immersion.
            RPGs like the aforementioned Mass Effect series, or Dragon Age, and The Witcher come to mind. There's, I think, a greater chance for 'attachment'/'involvement' since the player is the one making the choices (or, at least, given the illusion of choice, but I think games now do offer more tangible results when choices are offered).
            I was actually surprised (emotionally struck or something like that) when I finished Dragon Age: Origins, for instance, when the culmination of one of my choices was made apparent during the epilogue. It's like having watched a really good movie or read a good book that you didn't want to end so soon...but a bit more, since you were 'responsible'.

Re: AVP
            Looks interesting. Tho' I really should upgrade my system soon (made apparent a few hours ago near the end of Mass Effect 2 ) before I look at more shooters like that. I'm kinda eager to try it, tho': I just want to, once again, play as a US colonial marine w/ a smartgun.

Re: Avatar (movie)
            I liked it...visually. The story? Meh. The grunts should've kicked native ar*e (not that I agree w/ their tactics, mind). I hope that, if there's a sequel, they just 'glass' the natives from orbit.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gotthammer View Post
              Aside from 'freedom to tell their stories' and whatnot, there's also, I believe, a chance to 'grab the player' more than in a non-interactive medium.
              Immersion.
              RPGs like the aforementioned Mass Effect series, or Dragon Age, and The Witcher come to mind. There's, I think, a greater chance for 'attachment'/'involvement' since the player is the one making the choices (or, at least, given the illusion of choice, but I think games now do offer more tangible results when choices are offered).
              I was actually surprised (emotionally struck or something like that) when I finished Dragon Age: Origins, for instance, when the culmination of one of my choices was made apparent during the epilogue. It's like having watched a really good movie or read a good book that you didn't want to end so soon...but a bit more, since you were 'responsible'.

Re: AVP
              Looks interesting. Tho' I really should upgrade my system soon (made apparent a few hours ago near the end of Mass Effect 2 ) before I look at more shooters like that. I'm kinda eager to try it, tho': I just want to, once again, play as a US colonial marine w/ a smartgun.

Re: Avatar (movie)
              I liked it...visually. The story? Meh. The grunts should've kicked native ar*e (not that I agree w/ their tactics, mind). I hope that, if there's a sequel, they just 'glass' the natives from orbit.
              Yes I’ve been really sucked in by some recent games like Dragon Age and especially Mass Effect 2. Indeed I was so sucked in to Mass Effect 2 that when on one occasion in the Story one of my favourite characters was injured I started shouting “no, no, no” at the screen. When he took a bullet in another cut scene I found myself holding my breath until I found out he was OK.

Comment

Thats another reason I love games. My favourite characters are the basic humam soldier, be it colonial marines, UNSC marines, RRF from Killzone, Imperial Guard, that kind of thing. But the grunts in Avatar, with all the cool tech, are the Imperialistic bad guys. Again. They wont make me a fooking movie with cool scifi grunts like the above,^ who are the good guys and the heroes. Games let me do this!
                sigpic
                385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

I want to disagree with you, I really do as I am no longer a gamer and loathe videogames. I did play Mass Effect completely through when it was reLeased and I kept saying to myself: WHY THE HECK HASN'T THIS MASTERPIECE BEEN MADE INTO A TV SERIES OR SOMETHING! Videogames and the entertainment industry as a whole in my opinion has decreased in quality, very rarely do we see great and really though films, TV, and videogames. But we occasionally still get them. The original Halo(I hated the 2 and 3) had a fantastic story and was a perfect game, just perfect. Its sequels and prequels were just milking it as IMO they were much lower quality. Videogames have had some top notch sci-fi and fantasy stories, Final Fantasy is a mix of both, the Zelda games, Metroid, and even Bioshock which I played through and highly enjoyed back in the day. KOTOR as well brought in gamers who didn't like Star Wars but enjoyed the universe of the old republic. But I think time will tell if videogames will become a better medium for sci-fi, as companies may start milking that part of gaming to death. They already killed the first-person shooter. (IMO)

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                    Yes I’ve been really sucked in by some recent games like Dragon Age and especially Mass Effect 2. Indeed I was so sucked in to Mass Effect 2 that when on one occasion in the Story one of my favourite characters was injured I started shouting “no, no, no” at the screen. When he took a bullet in another cut scene I found myself holding my breath until I found out he was OK.
                    Heh. The last time I think I was this 'involved' w/ the characters was with the Longest Journey and it's sequel, Dreamfall (both are 'adventure' games.). If you haven't played it, I do recommend both as they have quite the epic storyline and, IMHO, pretty well-made characters.

While I enjoyed it (and am looking forward for another playthrough) I have some complaints w/ Mass Effect 2: some things seemed 'too streamlined'. For example: in ME1, after you completed a side mission, Adm. Hackett <sp?> would give a short message/debrief. In ME2, you had that rather odd 'mission accomplished' page. While it doesn't really 'ruin immersion', it does kinda stand out a bit.
                    Another would be: I still can't land on Earth. That and side missions/encounters/interactions in urban areas seem rather sparse when compared to ME1.
                    Oh: and I had this feeling that there was too much amber/yellow. Does the series have a color-theme (ala the Chinese movie 'Hero')?

edit:
                    Having finished Mass Effect 2, I decided to visit the ME2 Spoiler section in BioWare's forum. Hehehe. Funny threads.
                    Last edited by gotthammer; 04 February 2010, 11:29 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

My sole gaming experience has been the Never Winter Nights franchise and the opportunity the Bioweave software gave you to create your own games. It is something that is addictive in nature with computer games, they draw you in, much more than a movie or TV can. I have at times played up to 16 hours straight, until Mrs OZ got fed up of course

Oh and and Armed Assault, I have been mucking around with for a while now, only because it was given to me, and there are Stargate patches for it. Quality sux though
                      My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
                      sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                        I want to disagree with you, I really do as I am no longer a gamer and loathe videogames. I did play Mass Effect completely through when it was reLeased and I kept saying to myself: WHY THE HECK HASN'T THIS MASTERPIECE BEEN MADE INTO A TV SERIES OR SOMETHING! Videogames and the entertainment industry as a whole in my opinion has decreased in quality, very rarely do we see great and really though films, TV, and videogames. But we occasionally still get them. The original Halo(I hated the 2 and 3) had a fantastic story and was a perfect game, just perfect. Its sequels and prequels were just milking it as IMO they were much lower quality. Videogames have had some top notch sci-fi and fantasy stories, Final Fantasy is a mix of both, the Zelda games, Metroid, and even Bioshock which I played through and highly enjoyed back in the day. KOTOR as well brought in gamers who didn't like Star Wars but enjoyed the universe of the old republic. But I think time will tell if videogames will become a better medium for sci-fi, as companies may start milking that part of gaming to death. They already killed the first-person shooter. (IMO)
                        Booo, your wrong . Its good to have an opposing opinion to prove wrong though . Obviously I totally disagree with you, there are so many decent games, even if we limit ourselves to scifi games. The Mass Effect games, KOTOR, Bioshock, Assassins Creed, the Half Life games, Deus Ex, Dragon Age, Fallout, the Thief series. Hell even the Chronicles of Riddick games are more exciting and better acted than the film series.

Comment

Booo, your wrong . Its good to have an opposing opinion to prove wrong though . Obviously I totally disagree with you, there are so many decent games, even if we limit ourselves to scifi games. The Mass Effect games, KOTOR, Bioshock, Assassins Creed, the Half Life games, Deus Ex, Dragon Age, Fallout, the Thief series. Hell even the Chronicles of Riddick games are more exciting and better acted than the film series.
                          Half-Life! One of the best videogame series of all time IMO. Its one of the only videogames I still have.....I'm not saying there are not decent games, just that there are more mediocre games than good ones now.

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumperOZ View Post
                            My sole gaming experience has been the Never Winter Nights franchise and the opportunity the Bioweave software gave you to create your own games. It is something that is addictive in nature with computer games, they draw you in, much more than a movie or TV can. I have at times played up to 16 hours straight, until Mrs OZ got fed up of course

Oh and and Armed Assault, I have been mucking around with for a while now, only because it was given to me, and there are Stargate patches for it. Quality sux though
                            Well I applaud your taste with Armed Assault. You should try the sequal Arma 2, buggy though and needs a super computer to run it on the best graphics levels but still good. Also Neverwinter Nights was made by Bioware as you know who have also recently made the Mass Effect games and Dragon Age. And like with Neverwinter Nights before they are open to user created content, they released a toolkit for Dragon Age and there are tons of user created projects in the works.

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                            Half-Life! One of the best videogame series of all time IMO. Its one of the only videogames I still have.....I'm not saying there are not decent games, just that there are more mediocre games than good ones now.
                            Pah go play Mass Effect 2. It's the best scifi sequal since the Empire Strikes Back. A statment I will stand by. Few meduims have ever provoked such a reaction from me as did that game.
                            Last edited by The Mighty 6 platoon; 05 February 2010, 02:24 AM. Reason: don't get nosy

Comment

Well I applaud your taste with Armed Assault. You should try the sequal Arma 2, buggy though and needs a super computer to run it on the best graphics levels but still good. Also Neverwinter Nights was made by Bioware as you know who have also recently made the Mass Effect games and Dragon Age. And like with Neverwinter Nights before they are open to user created content, they released a toolkit for Dragon Age and there are tons of user created projects in the works.

Pah go play Mass Effect 2. It's the best scifi sequal since the Empire Strikes Back. A stament I will stand by. Few meduims have ever provoked such a reaction from me as did that game.
                              I will play it when it is in the bargain bin.

Comment

Working...
                              X