StarGate Updates and a power concern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

StarGate Updates and a power concern

after watching SGU i was wondering if the same system that connects the Pegasus and milky way galaxy's, should connect the other gates in other galaxies then if so the gates of SGU should be a bit more advanced. i understand that there are differences in the designs most noticeable.

also i have noticed that the antarctic gate supposedly the oldest gate died? so doesn't that mean that SGU seeded gates should be dieing soon? or already dead, i highly doubt that the previous design which doesn't look power efficient at all ( entire gate spins, also does steam come out of the base of every gate including the off world ones?) should survive over a newer model and one that's been in survive longer.

thoughts on these ideas.
    time doesn't go in a linear path like everyone thinks, time is a ball of timey wimey wibbly wobblely uh....

Google won't search for Chuck Norris because it knows you don't find Chuck Norris, he finds you.
    sigpic

The antartic gate didnt die the Dhd did ie the power source for the gate not the gate itself, it just ran out of juice.
    and its been theorised by some here on GW that the SGU gates get their power from the dialer or they store energy from the incoming wormhole

Comment

the storing energy is a sound idea for power and i meant to say from the power source. maybe even the spinning has something to do with power generation hence the steam.
      time doesn't go in a linear path like everyone thinks, time is a ball of timey wimey wibbly wobblely uh....

Google won't search for Chuck Norris because it knows you don't find Chuck Norris, he finds you.
      sigpic

Comment

hopefully we will find out as the show progresses but its doubtfull as many many many things were left unexplained in both SG1 and SGA

Comment

Originally posted by the-alguroan View Post
          after watching SGU i was wondering if the same system that connects the Pegasus and milky way galaxy's, should connect the other gates in other galaxies then if so the gates of SGU should be a bit more advanced. i understand that there are differences in the designs most noticeable.

also i have noticed that the antarctic gate supposedly the oldest gate died? so doesn't that mean that SGU seeded gates should be dieing soon? or already dead, i highly doubt that the previous design which doesn't look power efficient at all ( entire gate spins, also does steam come out of the base of every gate including the off world ones?) should survive over a newer model and one that's been in survive longer.

thoughts on these ideas.
          What system is that? As far as I am aware the MW and PG gate systems are independent.
          Meh.

Comment

i'm talking about the correlative update system that relays the positions of gates to other gates, and since a milky way gate can access a Pegasus gate and vice versa.

sigpic

Comment

only the earth gate can accses a PG as ive understood it and only when it has an extra power source like a ZPM hooked up to it. also PG gates can not connect to a MW one without a specific controll crystal that the atlantis DHD has so the correlative update is not intergalactic and just local to each galaxy.

Comment

i assumed that was changed so that the wraith couldn't follow them back to the milky way. i would assume that if any gate was giving great enough power they could get to another galaxy, hence the midway station how that the corrective update may connect them, notice i said MAY since there has never been a canon statement on this . the midway shows that with a slight forwarding program the gates comunicated with the others in the specific chain.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the-alguroan View Post
                  i assumed that was changed so that the wraith couldn't follow them back to the milky way. i would assume that if any gate was giving great enough power they could get to another galaxy, hence the midway station how that the corrective update may connect them, notice i said MAY since there has never been a canon statement on this . the midway shows that with a slight forwarding program the gates comunicated with the others in the specific chain.
                  yes i agree i "may" however midway never connected the PG gates to A MW one midway had 2 gates one PG and One MW both MW and PG ones were in chaines.

but a slight snag in EATG the worst SGA ep ever IMO the PG gate onboard the hive connects to the Beta or alpha site after mckay "recalibrates" the PG gate DHD without a hitch.

and back to midway since the PG and MW gates can connect to eachother why was there even a need for 2 gates on midway? as one wouldve been able to connect to both the MW and PG gate chains...
                  epic Facepalm*

Comment

not entirely sure , i do remember them talking about how a pegasus gate takes presedient over a milkway.... not sure MAYbe they just wanted it to look cool when they first introduced it, of course we MAy assume that if the ancients didn't do the safty feature so the wraith couldn't follow i would assume that any pegasus gate could dial milk way.

i got that thought from the episode in season 1 with the mist people, forget the episode....
                    also feel like we're gonna use MAY alot in this thread.

sigpic

Comment

actually Midway, did connect a MW gate to a PG gate...I can't remember whether it was McKay or Carter who said it, but one of the major obstacles they faced with creating Midway was that the newer model (Pegasus) would always take precedence over the older model (Milky Way) when receiving the incoming wormhole...so they had to create a workaround so that MW connected to MW and PG connected to PG...and that explains why you have both gates at Midway...I suppose you could have had just one gate and have the dialing computer switch between MW and PG coordinates depending on which galaxy you needed to dial but that's so much more boring...

Comment

Originally posted by tinerin View Post
                        actually Midway, did connect a MW gate to a PG gate...I can't remember whether it was McKay or Carter who said it, but one of the major obstacles they faced with creating Midway was that the newer model (Pegasus) would always take precedence over the older model (Milky Way) when receiving the incoming wormhole...so they had to create a workaround so that MW connected to MW and PG connected to PG...and that explains why you have both gates at Midway...I suppose you could have had just one gate and have the dialing computer switch between MW and PG coordinates depending on which galaxy you needed to dial but that's so much more boring...
                        No it didnt! which ep?

Agreed!

Comment

like i said it was cooler, the solution probably involved magnets

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alx View Post
                            No it didnt! which ep?

Agreed!
                            well we didn't actually see the connection, but somewhere it was stated that that was a problem they faced with the construction of midway...i don't remember which episode though...off the top my head, in EATG right after the people on Atlantis realized that instead of dialing Earth they connected to the gate on the super hive, might be a logical place for that to be mentioned...

Comment

ok ill check it out.. i remeber there being talk about the presedient buisness but i never heard em say they did that... as even as the gate bridge was tested by shep in the PJ "the return s3e10-s3e11" they had 2 gates.. that however brings up another issue tho how could the jumper dial the MW gate? as the jumpers have PG coordinats? and does the MW gate have a "wifi" like the PG ones? O_o im confused...
                              Damn TPTB LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X