Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Carter of Mars (2012) - News/Speculation/Discussion

John Carter (2012)

Civil War vet John Carter is transplanted to Mars, where he discovers a lush, wildly diverse planet whose main inhabitants are 12-foot tall green barbarians. Finding himself a prisoner of these creatures, he escapes, only to encounter Dejah Thoris, Princess of Helium, who is in desperate need of a savior.

IMDB Profile:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401729/

Andrew Stanton directing it

can't wait
    Last edited by BayGateScape; 15 June 2011, 04:06 PM.
    Favorite Characters:
    Babylon 5: Londo Mollari, G'Kar
    Farscape: Rygel, Zhaan
    SG1: Jack O'Neill
    SG-A: Rodney McKay

Favorite Shows In Order:
    Stargate SG-1 | DS9 | Babylon 5 | Farscape | ST:VOY | Firefly |Stargate Universe | Stargate Atlantis | BSG

Originally posted by xcygon View Post
    John Carter of Mars (2012)

Civil War vet John Carter is transplanted to Mars, where he discovers a lush, wildly diverse planet whose main inhabitants are 12-foot tall green barbarians. Finding himself a prisoner of these creatures, he escapes, only to encounter Dejah Thoris, Princess of Helium, who is in desperate need of a savior.

IMDB Profile:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401729/

Andrew Stanton directing it

can't wait
    I'm not gonna lie, this sounds like one of those cheesy Saturday Syfy original movies.

Comment

Doubt it will be cheesy; since Pixar has taken this project.

Wolverine stars Taylor Kitsch and Lynn Collins will meet again in John Carter of Mars, the first full-length live action motion picture by Pixar’s Andrew Stanton (Wall-E).

Taylor Kitsch, who portrayed Gambit in Wolverine, will play the title character, a veteran of the American Civil War. Noticeably traumatized by his war experiences, John Carter finds himself mysteriously transported to Mars where his role with regards to the planet’s dying population obliges him to rediscover his humanity. (The movie will be based on a 1912 novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs, better known as the creator of Tarzan.)

Lynn Collins will portray the Princess of Mars, Dejah Thoris. Produced by Disney, with a screenplay Andrew Stanton and Mark Andrews, the film is slated to begin shooting next January. — Source: FantastiqueZINE

This project has been bouncing around a while now in Hollywood before landing up at Pixar. It began life as A Princess of Mars (named after the first book in the series), a $100 million Robert Rodriguez project at Paramount. (Interestingly Rodriguez hired famous fantasy painter Frank Frazetta to do some designs for the flick.) Then it moved on to Kerry Conran, who had just finished Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (2004). In 2005, Conran left and was replaced by Jon Favreau, the Zathura and Iron Man director. Paramount however got cold feet and sold the rights to Pixar.

If all goes according to plan it will be Pixar’s second live-action movie. Yup, Pixar is venturing into the scary waters of live action film-making. We will see how it all turns out. Their first such film will be Brad (The Incredibles, Ratatouille) Bird’s 1906, a crime drama set in that year on the eve of the huge fire that practically destroyed San Francisco.

Andrew Stanton, fresh from his WALL-E triumph, will direct John Carter of Mars. In January 2009 Stanton told Sci-Fi Wire that live-action is the the "only way" to go: "I mean, there are so many creatures and characters that half of it's going to be CG whether you want it to be [or not], just to realize some of these images that are in the book. But it will feel real. The whole thing will feel very, very believable."
      From: http://www.scifimoviepage.com/upcomi...terofmars.html
      Favorite Characters:

Favorite Shows In Order:
      Stargate SG-1 | DS9 | Babylon 5 | Farscape | ST:VOY | Firefly |Stargate Universe | Stargate Atlantis | BSG

Comment

Bryan Cranston Joins ‘John Carter of Mars’

Underrated actor Bryan Cranston has joined the cast of Disney’s John Carter of Mars. The live-action/CGI hybrid is under the direction of Andrew Stanton (Wall-E, Finding Nemo) as he embarks on his first non-animated movie.
        THR’s Heat Vision Blog reports Cranston will play “a Civil War colonel who comes into conflict with Carter.” In the 11-novel series by Edgar Rice Burroughs, a Civil War veteran (Taylor Kitsch) seemingly dies and is transported to another physical body on the planet Mars where he discovers a lush, diverse landscape. This unfortunately means Cranston’s part will be a small one as the rest takes place on the red planet.
        The rest of the cast includes Lynn Collins, Willem Dafoe, Samantha Morton, Thomas Haden Church, and Polly Walker who all basically play 12-foot green aliens. Sounds like Avatar only with names like Tars Tarkas.
        Cranston used to be known as simply the dad on “Malcolm in the Middle,” but has recently won back-to-back Emmys for the first two seasons of AMC’s “Breaking Bad.” It’s one of the best shows on television right now and if you haven’t seen it yet, you should find a way to check it out.
        The cast is coming together because photography starts next week. It was erroneously reported in several places as a Pixar film, but that is incorrect. It will be billed as a “Walt Disney Picture” according to CHUD’s Devin Faraci.
        Source:- http://www.newsinfilm.com/2010/01/14...arter-of-mars/

+1 Reason to see this film now.
        Favorite Characters:

Favorite Shows In Order:

Comment

I'm haven't been too excited about this since it was announced. I'm a Pixar freak! But I'm in fear of Pixar doing and having its first failure with a live-action film!

Comment

I will have to hear more about this film before judging it one way or another.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

John Carter of Mars Begins Production, Daryl Sabara to Play Edgar Rice Burroughs

Walt Disney Pictures has sent out a press release announcing to start of principal photography on Andrew Stanton’s big screen adaptation of John Carter of Mars. The release has full details on the cast and crew, including a few new details which hadn’t yet been reported in the trades:
              New cast members include: Ciaran Hinds (“Munich,” “There Will Be Blood”) and Daryl Sabara (“Disney’s A Christmas Carol,” “Spy Kids”) takes the role of John Carter’s teen-aged nephew, Edgar Rice Burroughs (the author who created Tarzan and John Carter).
              The creative team includes Oscar®-nominated production designer Nathan Crowley (“Public Enemies,” “The Dark Knight,” “Batman Begins”), costume designer Mayes Rubeo (“Avatar,” “Apocalypto”), cinematographer Daniel Mindel (“Star Trek,” “Mission Impossible III,” “Spygame”) and video effects supervisor Peter Chiang (“The Reader,” “The Bourne Ultimatum”).
              Read More on /Film
              Favorite Characters:

Favorite Shows In Order:

Comment

Disney begins production on John Carter of Mars in London

Disney have started principal photography for their adaptation of “John of Carter of Mars” in London. “John Carter of Mars” is based on the Barsoom Series by Edgar Rice Borroughs’.

The movie follows Civil War veteran John Carter, who will be portrayed by Taylor Kitsch, as he battles a devastating war against a strange Martian race, on a war-wounded Mars, while landing in the conflict between the Red and Green Martians, where he falls in love with the Red Martian princess.

“John Carter of Mars” will be directed by Andrew Stanton who has previously worked for Pixar on “Finding Nemo” and “WALL-E”. Stanton co-wrote the screenplay with Michael Chabon. Alongside Kitsch you will also see Mark Strong, Willem Dafoe, Dominic West and other Hollywood stars.

We will keep you updated in the coming months with news regarding “John Carter of Mars”, which is due for release in 2012.
                http://www.onlocationvacations.com/2...omment-page-1/
                Favorite Characters:

Favorite Shows In Order:

Comment

This really sounds interesting. I'm hoping that they start reselling the books, I been trying to find affordable edditions
                  Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

New John Carter of Mars Plot Details Released

The man who brought us the family friendly movies Wall-E and Finding Nemo is at it again with John Carter of Mars. Production is under way in London for Andrew Stanton’s latest film, which is set to come out in 2012. Walt Disney has already started the marketing process, and have just launched its official Facebook page.

In the newly released synopsis for John Carter, it says the film “brings the captivating hero to the big screen in a stunning adventure epic.” If it’s anything like Stanton’s previous work, with his eye for detail and perfection, this is going to be just that, epic. Carter is described as a Sci-fi/Adventure, and chronicles the journey of a Civil-War veteran (Taylor Kitsch), who finds himself battling a new and mysterious war amidst a host of strange Martian inhabitants.

From its description, it sounds completely different from what Stanton has done over the years, so this film could mark some growth in the director’s career. He’s had a positive record with audiences in the past and with his history of hits, it’s unlikely that he’ll disappoint.

You can join the official John Carter of Mars Fan Facebook Page to keep up with all the updates until the film’s release.
                    source:-
                    http://screencrave.com/2010-02-02/ne...ails-released/
                    Favorite Characters:

Favorite Shows In Order:

Comment

Giacchino and Pixar to reunite on John Carter of Mars

Michael Giacchino will continue his collaboration with Pixar on the upcoming John Carter of Mars. The movie directed by Andrew Stanton (Finding Nemo, Wall-E) marks Pixar’s first live action feature and is scheduled for release in 2012. The cast features Taylor Kitch, Willem Dafoe, Thomas Haden Church and Mark Strong. The film chronicles the journey of Civil-War veteran John Carter, who finds himself battling a new and mysterious war amidst a host of strange Martian inhabitants, including Tars Tarkas and Dejah Thoris.

http://filmmusicreporter.wordpress.c...arter-of-mars/
                      Favorite Characters:

Favorite Shows In Order:

Comment

James Purefoy teases 'John Carter Of Mars'

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/at-...r-of-mars.html
                        Favorite Characters:

Favorite Shows In Order:

Comment

When I first read the description I thought it was one of those SyFy original movies, but then I got really excited when I saw the cast and director, plus the fact that Pixar is involved. I haven't read the books but the premise sounds interesting so I might check them out.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
                            When I first read the description I thought it was one of those SyFy original movies, but then I got really excited when I saw the cast and director, plus the fact that Pixar is involved. I haven't read the books but the premise sounds interesting so I might check them out.
                            It think many people(like me) haven't read the books, I think they are very uncommon to find in some parts.

Glad to see Giacchino is returning to Pixar again, I love his music for The Incredibles, Ratatouille, Up and Star Trek(2009).

Comment

I was pretty nonplussed when I read the description. But Pixar has yet to make a bad movie, so they're totally deserving of the benefit of the doubt.
                              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
                              X