Gravity on the Ships from Sci-Fi Movies/Shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gravity on the Ships from Sci-Fi Movies/Shows

How does it work? any Sci-Fi show or movie explained it?

Gravity on the Ships.

or we just have to assume, there is some device that's doing it.
    Favorite Characters:
    Babylon 5: Londo Mollari, G'Kar
    Farscape: Rygel, Zhaan
    SG1: Jack O'Neill
    SG-A: Rodney McKay

Favorite Shows In Order:
    Stargate SG-1 | DS9 | Babylon 5 | Farscape | ST:VOY | Firefly |Stargate Universe | Stargate Atlantis | BSG

Originally posted by xcygon View Post
    How does it work? any Sci-Fi show or movie explained it?

Gravity on the Ships.

or we just have to assume, there is some device that's doing it.
    In theory, it produces gravity effect like the planet has, rather than centrifugal force.

In essence, there's a pad in the floor that generates gravity directly above it for a few meters and no further.

Centrifugal force is real, and has been used on several shows, most noteably Babylon 5 for the Earth ships.
    Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

Centrifugal force is fictitious, but so is real gravity, so that's alright.

No, the mechanism for artificial gravity is never properly explained, because nobody knows how to produce any other sort than centrifugal that does not involve accelerating black holes.
      MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

i think in star trek the explaination was a gravity generator was under the deck and i think worked by spinning super heavy elements around a closed ring. which caused a gravity well. i think thats what it was, been a long time since i read the technical manual
        sigpic
        THERE IS NO MORE POWER!!

Comment

sorry i was talking out of my ass, found the manual now. heres what it says:

The gravity field itself is created by a controlled stream of gravitons, much like those produced by the tractor beam. in fact the basic physics are the same. Power from the EPS is channeled into a hollow chamber of anicium titanide 454, a sealed cylinder measuring 50 cm in diameter by 25 cm hih. Suspended in the center of the cyliner, in a pressurized chrylon gas, is a superconducting stator of thoronium arkenide. the stator, once set to a rotational rate above 125,540 rpm generates a graviton field with a short lifetime, on the order of a few picoseconds. this decay time necessitates the addition of the second layer of generators beyond 30 meters distance. the field is gentle enough to allow natural walking without a gravity gradient from head to foot, long a problem in brute force centripedal systems.
          sigpic
          THERE IS NO MORE POWER!!

Comment

Originally posted by K^2 View Post
            Centrifugal force is fictitious, but so is real gravity, so that's alright.

No, the mechanism for artificial gravity is never properly explained, because nobody knows how to produce any other sort than centrifugal that does not involve accelerating black holes.
            Feel free to step off a skyscrapper and test that theory...
            Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

Dude... You fail physics for life. That's about all I can say.

Looks familiar?

Comment

xcygon, we have no idea how gravity even works in general, just that it's there. We have a few hypothesis, but as far as i know there's no theory (as in real, scientific theory) that explains it fully, it's one of our days mysteries. And until we do understand, we wont have a way to replicate it's effects, or explain how the generators in Sci-Fi works.
                Naquadah_nut's Star Trek explanation sound probable, but just like gate-science assumes that wormholes actually exists, the Star Trek method assumes that Gravitons exists. It all sounds fancy, but until we know how gravity works, we can't explain artificial gravity.

Anybody correct me if I'm wrong

Originally posted by Aer'ki View Post
                Feel free to step off a skyscrapper and test that theory...
                Nothing in science can be absolutely true. Nothing can ever be proven, it can only be supported by observation. It's the same with gravity.. It is very well supported, but you cant prove that gravity always is there, everywhere, everytime. However, one thing you CAN is DISprove it. A single case of an apple flying up, and you have disproved gravity as we define it.
                It's not something I'm making up, science does work this way.

Comment

Originally posted by nithel View Post
                  xcygon, we have no idea how gravity even works in general, just that it's there. We have a few hypothesis, but as far as i know there's no theory (as in real, scientific theory) that explains it fully, it's one of our days mysteries. And until we do understand, we wont have a way to replicate it's effects, or explain how the generators in Sci-Fi works.
                  Naquadah_nut's Star Trek explanation sound probable, but just like gate-science assumes that wormholes actually exists, the Star Trek method assumes that Gravitons exists. It all sounds fancy, but until we know how gravity works, we can't explain artificial gravity.

Anybody correct me if I'm wrong

Nothing in science can be absolutely true. Nothing can ever be proven, it can only be supported by observation. It's the same with gravity.. It is very well supported, but you cant prove that gravity always is there, everywhere, everytime. However, one thing you CAN is DISprove it. A single case of an apple flying up, and you have disproved gravity as we define it.
                  It's not something I'm making up, science does work this way.
                  Due to the fact that Airplanes go up, gravity does not exist.
                  If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                  Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                  If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                  Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
                    You are kidding, right?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nithel View Post
                      xcygon, we have no idea how gravity even works in general, just that it's there. We have a few hypothesis, but as far as i know there's no theory (as in real, scientific theory) that explains it fully, it's one of our days mysteries.
                      Umm.... I hate to break it to you, but you apparently have been in a comma for the past 100 years. Don't freak out now. A lot of things have changed. We have jet airplanes, computers, internet, and a few advances in science have been made. Among these, General Relativity, which gives us better understanding of gravity than we have of electricity, for crying out loud.[/QUOTE]
                      It is called "lift".

Looks familiar?

Comment

Lift caused by low pressure being generated under the wind of an aircraft due to its Aerofoil shape which causes air to travel faster over the wing than below causing the low pressure which initiates lift, its not magic and when the aerofoil shape is slightly out of shape, gravity is there to make sure that plane comes back to earth at over a hundred feet per second to slam right into the ground!
                        sigpic
                        THERE IS NO MORE POWER!!

Comment

First of all, high pressure below the wing, unless we are talking about an F1 racer. Secondly, camber is not necessary to generate lift. If you place a completely flat wing at an angle to the incoming air stream, air above the foil will still move faster than air bellow. But you shouldn't think of it as if faster air is what causes lift. It's just another symptom of net circulation which has to be there whenever lift is produced. But that's getting a bit too technical. Point is, a symmetric wing is perfectly capable of producing lift. In fact, most fighters and stunt planes use symmetric wing design, allowing them to fly upside down just as well as right side up.

Looks familiar?

Comment

we might have a rather good understanding of gravity, there are still many mysteries

Comment

The nature of scientific knowledge is such that there will always be "mysteries", but scientific understanding simply requires ability to completely predict a phenomenon to within required precision. Situations where we have trouble with gravity are bizarre beyond simple description.

Looks familiar?

Comment

Working...
                              X