• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Hollow Man (212)

DOLLHOUSE - SEASON TWO
    THE HOLLOW MAN
    EPISODE NUMBER - 212

Echo and her team travel to Arizona in an attempt to dismantle the Rossum Corporation's mainframe. (TV Guide)

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by GateWorld; 26 December 2013, 11:15 PM.

Wow! Just wow! Very unexpected.

I take it that Boyd was a psychopath. No real conscience, only out for himself basically.

Nice twist at the end, making him a doll and having him destroy his own creation.
    sigpic

Comment

Amazing episode. I am still thinking about it. Still in some shock too, I think.

First, I love Anthony and Priya together. They're so adorable, it just makes me smile.

After that, what a ride. I think I'm going to have to watch all the episodes back to back to catch everything that is going on. Shooting and exploding everywhere- it's exhausting!

Poor Millie and Paul. There's a question, though- where is her "real" personality? On a hard drive somewhere in DC? Or even in LA? Is she "really" dead since her consciousness is elsewhere?

The obvious thing to talk about is Boyd! Holy cow. His sentimentality was surprising. It's amazing he was able to seem to sane for so long! The end, though, I have to say, I am not ok with them using Doll Boyd as a bomb. I mean, yes, Boyd was bad and had Bennett killed and used so many others, but that creature standing before them wasn't Boyd anymore, was he? He was innocent. Did Topher kill Boyd with the gun, leaving just a shell? I don't know, it's an interesting ethical question.

I'm looking forward to the finale. I'd like for them to fill in a few more blanks that are left hanging from Epitaph One.
      sigpic

Comment

One thing that nagged at me during the final minutes: Boyd has been watching Caroline for a long time. He has her bloodwork and whatnot on file. He's also had access to her in the Dollhouse and possibly in the Lab, itself, so who's to say he isn't already inoculated against imprints? In which case he was faking it at the end, there. Maybe I'm way off base with that and Boyd is really dead, but I pretty much don't trust ANYTHING where Dollhouse is concerned. The Boyd revelation itself was so left field that as far as I'm concerned anything goes.

Additionally I think it's simple-minded of them to assume that all of the tech was stored in that one, single place. Really? You really think that someone as twisty as Boyd is going to load all his tech, schematics, research and whatever into ONE lab? And what about all those people they so helpfully allowed to go free? All those techs and scientists who have been studying Topher's designs nonstop since they got them and who probably have other stuff cooked up as well? And what about the many hints from Clyde that "this isn't my only body?" Who's to say Boyd doesn't have backups somewhere, too (assuming he really was dollified and went boom)?

Of course maybe they don't even need eggs stored in other baskets. That explosion? VERY underwhelming. They take out the mainframe* and part of the lab or even all of the lab, but how can they be sure they really got everything?

I'm also curious to know why the sleeper agent portion of Mellie's personality wasn't removed before they re-imprinted her. Were they that crunched for time that Topher couldn't go in and snip it out? I'm very sorry to see her go, though; Miracle did a fabulous job.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, but Enver is BRILLIANT. Absofrakkinglutely brilliant. His Topher is so spot-on I almost wondered if they did some kind of hinky dubbing of the voice, but he had the mannerisms down pat, too. The guy is brimming over with talent and I hope to hell he goes on to find bigger, better and longer-lasting projects because ye gods, those abilities should not go to waste! Action Tony was awesome as well. Wowser. Smack, bang, boom!

Speaking of Topher I think he's probably the most tragic character on the show. He's certainly experienced some of the most growth and how gut-wrenching is it that when he finally becomes a Real Boy he experiences nothing but heartache and betrayal. First his girlfriend is murdered and then his bestest manfriend turns out to be a psychopath bent on world domination who is using Topher's own work to bring on the thought-pocalypse. No wonder the poor boy was broken in Epitaph 1.

I dunno... the show has been an interesting trip (and getting trippier with every ep), but while I love some of the characters the main arc itself isn't really coming together for me. Maybe it'll make more sense after Epitaph 2, but right now it feels kinda messy and I am definitely not holding my breath on understanding the completed picture especially not with this being a Joss project.

*Actually that couldn't have been the mainframe, right? Because all the Attics around the world house the real mainframe so even if they took out ONE control box there are still ways to "access" the stored data, right?

Comment

I loved Anthony channeling Topher. That was so funny. He had him down perfect.

Damn why am I discovering a series as it is coming to a end. Just may have to get Season 1 on DVD (we sell it at our Wal*Mart)!!!
          MY CONVENTIONS:

CON*CEPT MONTREAL 2006
          MARCON COLUMBUS 2007
          POLARIS TORONTO 2007
          CREATION STARGATE VANCOUVER 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012
          GATECON VANCOUVER 2008 & 2010
          VCON VANCOUVER 2010
          FAN EXPO VANCOUVER 2012 & 2013

Comment

Working...
          X