• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Closer (211)

DOLLHOUSE - SEASON TWO
    GETTING CLOSER
    EPISODE NUMBER - 211

Topher works to re-create Echo's original personality and memories after Adelle realizes they're needed to avert a dire future. In other events, Echo and Bennett's shared past is revealed and the leader of the Rossum Corpration is identified. (TV Guide)

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by GateWorld; 26 December 2013, 11:14 PM.

So many twists!

Claire is INSANE but I'm glad she's back. And poor Bennett... Next week's episode is going to be huge too!

Comment

That was a truly crazy episode.

I think Dr. Saunders was off the reservation on that one. I don't think Boyd put her up to it. What Boyd is up to is questionable- I'm not convinced he's a "bad guy."

I anticipate more craziness in the future.
      sigpic

Comment

Lots of shockers here.

Nice twist on Bennett and Caroline. So Caroline left her behind to save Bennett not herself.

And Saunders - wow!

And Boyd - double wow!

I can't believe it's almost over.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Amalthea View Post
          That was a truly crazy episode.

I think Dr. Saunders was off the reservation on that one. I don't think Boyd put her up to it. What Boyd is up to is questionable- I'm not convinced he's a "bad guy."

I anticipate more craziness in the future.
          Yeah, she had a genuine concern for "Boyd" and he was telling her he needed to leave and not tell her where he was going. It's more like their relationship is yet another deception.

I think her relationship with Topher had more to do with her shooting Bennett.

Topher programmed her to be repelled by his scent to avoid the possibility of her being attracted to him, and gave her radically differing outlooks and ethics to his own for the benefit of the well-being of the Dolls; from this starting point, Saunders developed a hatred for Topher.

This fact is very much part of her revelation that she is in fact a doll.

What was really interesting is all the expressions we see on Ivy's face when Bennett is around. Her small moment where she tries to help Topher might be open for some interpretation. Did anyone else notice she sounded quite a bit like River Tam from Firefly in that moment? Not just the voice but in the manner that she spoke.
          How to Survive an Alien Attack

Comment

Originally posted by aarlin81 View Post
            I think her relationship with Topher had more to do with her shooting Bennett.
            What was really interesting is all the expressions we see on Ivy's face when Bennett is around. Her small moment where she tries to help Topher might be open for some interpretation. Did anyone else notice she sounded quite a bit like River Tam from Firefly in that moment? Not just the voice but in the manner that she spoke.
            Yes on both points, I think them assuming she'd been got to is going to turn out a red herring.

The clue about Boyd was in the scene between Caroline, "Boyd" and the other guy (the 3rd, or 5th whatever) because the guy said they used a number of different bodies - I think the Boyd we know is a second generation imprint, his body was used by the owner and the cast off with another imprint when the time needed (or when they realised their identities were compromised) - that head guy doing the talking - he was the security guy from the flashbacks right? (or is my head playing with me again?).

So many plot twists my head is gonna explode if I try and work everything out.... lol.

Comment

Boyd can't be a Doll because we've seen him around the whole disruptor thing Topher made.

The conversation between Boyd and Saunders didn't really make sense when you think about it. Based on the teaser for the next episode, Saunders was likely in on the conspiracy, so why did Boyd say all that stuff about running away, being watched, and not being able to trust anyone to her? And why did Saunders kill Bennett before she fixed Caroline's hard drive? That would have really screwed things up if Topher wasn't able to finish the job.

Comment

Er... Wow!
                Joss at his best, and I'm lost for words again...
                sigpic

Comment

Watched the teaser so I'll use spoiler tags.

Spoiler:
                  Perhaps Saunders is a double agent. Someone got to her but it wasn't Boyd. He needed to make her think he was leaving to throw her off. He is trying to bring her back and Saunders is trying to keep them from doing so.

I have a really interesting theory about what's going on but it's likely I'll be pissed if it turns out true.

I certainly hope we see more of Alpha before the series wraps up.
                  How to Survive an Alien Attack

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
                    Boyd can't be a Doll because we've seen him around the whole disruptor thing Topher made.
                    Didn't the disrupter only ever worked if pointed directly at the person, I don't remember Topher pointing at him.

so why did Boyd say all that stuff about running away, being watched, and not being able to trust anyone to her?
                    Because that scene was spliced in from Epitaph One.
                    I think I know where this is going:

Spoiler:
                    The rest of the series will be building up to what we saw in Epitaph One, then the last episode will be Epitaph Two (that has been confirmed as the title right?) and we will find out everybody is in a matrix like state and Alpha is the Agent Smith of the Matrix and "Caroline" was the Neo etc. who discovered more than she should have - or something to that effect.

I think Alpha is in the series finale.
                    Last edited by Ian-S; 10 January 2010, 07:09 AM.

Comment

For a while (starting about two or three episodes ago) I thought of Dollhouse as being a sort of successor to the Prisoner.
                      But this latest episode...It's still the new Prisoner, but Joss Whedon threw up on it in the form of
                      Spoiler:
                      Bennett and Topher. The saddest part of it is that I got my hopes up for them.
                      Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                      The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                      I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                      A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                      That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                      Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                      Caboose: They could be worse?
                      Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
                        Didn't the disrupter only ever worked if pointed directly at the person, I don't remember Topher pointing at him.
                        Nope, it had a pretty big radius. Ballard activated it inside Senator Perrin's house but Perrin and Echo were affected by it even though they were outside the house.

Because that scene was spliced in from Epitaph One.
                        I think I know where this is going:

Spoiler:
                        The rest of the series will be building up to what we saw in Epitaph One, then the last episode will be Epitaph Two (that has been confirmed as the title right?) and we will find out everybody is in a matrix like state and Alpha is the Agent Smith of the Matrix and "Caroline" was the Neo etc. who discovered more than she should have - or something to that effect.

I think Alpha is in the series finale.
                        It's obvious that the scene was spliced in from Epitaph One but why did they do it? It contradicts the idea that Boyd is the head of Rossum.

Originally posted by Exiled Master View Post
                        For a while (starting about two or three episodes ago) I thought of Dollhouse as being a sort of successor to the Prisoner.
                        But this latest episode...It's still the new Prisoner, but Joss Whedon threw up on it in the form of
                        Spoiler:
                        Bennett and Topher. The saddest part of it is that I got my hopes up for them.
                        It was unusual how fast the relationship between Bennett and Topher developed. I think they were trying to squeeze a lot of the character development into one episode to really increase the emotional impact what happened.

Comment

It was a pretty good episode, but I think that everything is just bit rushed now towards the end. But I guess that is to be expected. Joss was probably planning for this play out over the course of several seasons, but he was forced to do it all in just two seasons of 13 episodes.
                          sigpic

Comment

But have we? I went back and watched the scene with Topher demonstrating it on Kilo, and, although Adelle and Paul were there, Boyd wasn't... or are you thinking of another scene, that I've forgotten about?

Comment

Holy crap. For most of the first half it felt like it was just going to be a Part 1 Setup sort of episode.

I certainly wasn't expecting Saunders/Whiskey to blow away Bennett like that. Holy crap! And Boyd! Oh man....shame this show is going to the attic...
                              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
                              X