Stepping through an incoming wormhole, and light through womrholes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stepping through an incoming wormhole, and light through womrholes

What happens if you step through an incoming wormhole? Sam keeps telling us that wormholes only allows for one-way travel, but i don't remember actually ever seeing anyone or anything try it.
    And another related question: Radio signals and all other kinds of waves can travel through the wormhole, both ways, but somehow infrared and the visible spectrum cannot. They're all electromagnetic waves, just in different spectrums, has this problem ever been explained?
    Last edited by nithel; 07 January 2010, 04:46 AM.

Well I don't think its been addressed in the in the show but I assume you would die in the same way if you were hit by the Kawhoosh (unstable vortex) and all electromagnetic waves can pass through the wormhole both ways as also does most sub-atomic particals.

I don't know what you mean by light if you mean like if you shine torch (flashlight) into the gate then I believe the gate has like a filter to differentiate between matter trying to get through the gate and other matter such as when dailing out from a world with a contaminated atmosphere and otherwise all the air would be sucked out of atlantis's control room everytime they dailed a space gate. It is sort of explained in SG-1 ep 'Watergate' s4 ep7.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble View Post
      Well I don't think its been addressed in the in the show but I assume you would die in the same way if you were hit by the Kawhoosh (unstable vortex) and all electromagnetic waves can pass through the wormhole both ways as also does most sub-atomic particles.

I don't know what you mean by light if you mean like if you shine torch (flashlight) into the gate then I believe the gate has like a filter to differentiate between matter trying to get through the gate and other matter such as when dialing out from a world with a contaminated atmosphere and otherwise all the air would be sucked out of Atlantis's control room every time they dialed a space gate. It is sort of explained in SG-1 ep 'Watergate' s4 ep7.
      Correct. The gate can differentiate between matter trying to go through or matter being affected by gravity or fluid motion.
      The gate can only transport because of the event horizon design, thought on wormhole can transport you both ways the EH can't reconstruct you while on "dematerialization mode".

If you want to learn more there is a good thread for the WH and Iris here:
      http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=22491
      sigpic
      - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

I've considered this in depth, and I believe if you enter the wormhole from the exiting gate you would pass right through the event horizon and walk out the back. If you walk into the backside of the stargate, it will stop you like a forcefield(as mentioned in the series in "Shroud")

As for light and radio signals...yeah, it should be either yes or no and not one or the other. Writing mistake here, I believe.
        Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

I think i have a possible explanation to the light and radio signals. I didn't thought of it before, but solid matter allows radio waves to pass through too, when light doesn't. Maybe the event horizon simply have the same effect.

Originally posted by Aer'ki View Post
          I've considered this in depth, and I believe if you enter the wormhole from the exiting gate you would pass right through the event horizon and walk out the back. If you walk into the backside of the stargate, it will stop you like a forcefield(as mentioned in the series in "Shroud")

As for light and radio signals...yeah, it should be either yes or no and not one or the other. Writing mistake here, I believe.
          I must have missed that one, but a forcefield-like effect sounds more probable that just stepping through like there's nothing there.

Comment

Actually, we know that one can safely stick an arm into incoming wormhole to keep it open. This means that the buffer on the incoming side works exactly the same way as on the outgoing side.

What happens if you step completely through incoming wormhole? Trivial. You end up stuck in the buffer. Buffer will be purged upon next activation, and you cease to be.
            MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

Working...
            X