Power of Ori Staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power of Ori Staff

In Crusade, two people are shot, and presumably killed, by Ori staff weapons. In Flesh and Blood, Vala says that one shot from an Ori staff kills. However, in Line in the Sand, Carter is shot by an Oru staff, and the effect is similar to that of a Jaffa staff. How is it that the same weapon will sometimes kill, but sometimes only injure?

A gun will sometimes kill, but sometimes only injure...
    It all depends on where you're hit...

Comment

And whether you get the full hit or just a grazing wound.

Comment

Correct. The staff doesn't work like a zat, two shots, and you're dead. More like, one shot in the right place, and you're dead. The zat gun seems more logical as a weapon than those staffs. More manoeuvrable....more deadly....etc.
        If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
        Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
        If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
        Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

You have to remember that most people in the galaxy dont have the resources that we do and they dont have body armor like we do so when they get shot they are only wearing clothes where we are wearing vests, dont you remember the epi heroes where they are testing new vest materials. and it also has to do with how they get hit, remember daniel got hit in the shoulder int he first season and it was like a burn but a more direct hit may do more damage

Comment

Power of Ori Staff?

stronger than a party popper, yet weaker than a nuke!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Badhron View Post
              In Crusade, two people are shot, and presumably killed, by Ori staff weapons. In Flesh and Blood, Vala says that one shot from an Ori staff kills. However, in Line in the Sand, Carter is shot by an Oru staff, and the effect is similar to that of a Jaffa staff. How is it that the same weapon will sometimes kill, but sometimes only injure?
              Carter gets grazed by the hit from the Ori Staff weapon. Even so she gets a nasty gutshot that incapacities her. However while gutshots are very incapacitating they can take a very long time to kill you, giving in this case Cam enough time to treat her.

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
                Correct. The staff doesn't work like a zat, two shots, and you're dead. More like, one shot in the right place, and you're dead. The zat gun seems more logical as a weapon than those staffs. More manoeuvrable....more deadly....etc.
                Zats affects the whole body and mainly kill after affecting the brain or the heart in the second shot. The Staff wound be it Jaffa or Ori kills through bleeding, internal after "cooking" the target internal organs or external as the wound is pretty large, as the size of a Basketball ball.
                sigpic
                - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Originally posted by Steelbox View Post
                  Zats affects the whole body and mainly kill after affecting the brain or the heart in the second shot. The Staff wound be it Jaffa or Ori kills through bleeding, internal after "cooking" the target internal organs or external as the wound is pretty large, as the size of a Basketball ball.
                  Yes, but Zats are more logical because you can capture people with them, and you can also kill in two shots (one shot will take the person down, then it's a simple matter of aiming for a body part laying askew). If the staff's butt hits something behind, then the energy blast can be diverted and not hit the target at all. A zat fits into the hand, and so can only be knocked away by someone beside or in front.
                  If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!

sigpic

Comment

Talking about power, like, you know, let's try to put a number onto that, I don't recall a single Ori weapon staff capable of the high end feats seen for Goa'uld staves (blowing trees, cracking rocks, going through a guy covered in chainmail).
                    There may be many hundreds of kilojoules here, but probably not much higher.
                    The question is how much energy the crystal contains, since it had to power the cloak'n phase thing.
                    The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Apparently the blasts are low on kinetic power. The plasma "heats the target", making trees blow, rosck shater and passing though chain mail. I would say 10000 J of heating power.
                      sigpic
                      - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Technically that would be thermal energy. Power is measured in watts.

Comment

@the guy talking about Zats

The reason they like Staffs are because:
                          They can use them as Melee weapons
                          They look cool
                          They have a longer range
                          And they look more menacing

Yes Zats are the more logical choice of weapon, as they can be easily stored or hidden. They effect the entire body and with modification could be fatal with one shot. They are more maneuverable. However they will only ever be a clase range weapon. For SG personnel they are a good addition to the arsenal, as they last a bit longer than our weapons, and because we use gurilla tactics as we are normally outnumbered so we avoid hand to hand confrontation. However for the Jaffa they are trained to get up close and personal with the enemy and used the staff as a weapon as well as what comes out of the end lol. So the Zat is only for when they get disarmed, but in the hands of them it is still deadly as Tealc and Bre'tac have shows many times.

And i would say that the Ori staff's are more accurate and use a more efficient power source than Jaffa Staff's so they may be more powerful than Jaffa staffs. But either way it comes down to where you place the shot.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Thermi View Post

They look cool
                            They have a longer range

Yes Zats are the more logical choice of weapon, as they can be easily stored or hidden. They effect the entire body and with modification could be fatal with one shot. They are more maneuverable. However they will only ever be a clase range weapon. For SG personnel they are a good addition to the arsenal, as they last a bit longer than our weapons, and because we use gurilla tactics as we are normally outnumbered so we avoid hand to hand confrontation. However for the Jaffa they are trained to get up close and personal with the enemy and used the staff as a weapon as well as what comes out of the end lol. So the Zat is only for when they get disarmed, but in the hands of them it is still deadly as Tealc and Bre'tac have shows many times.
                            Zats are more efficient. You can only carry two, maybe three staffs on you. Zats, you can carry around 5, 6. We don't know the limits of the zat, but it doesn't seem that big of a difference between them and a staff.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Thermi View Post

They look cool
                              They have a longer range

And i would say that the Ori staff's are more accurate and use a more efficient power source than Jaffa Staff's so they may be more powerful than Jaffa staffs. But either way it comes down to where you place the shot.
                              Ow, Gorilla tactics??? A staff type weapon is seriously defective in ROF, excluding a wrist mouted. And are also bad on accuracy, of course it does not matter much when the target in 50cm wide, but when it get smaller the staff show it weakness as Rak'nor showed us.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X