How good are Asgard sensors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How good are Asgard sensors?

Are there any statements in the show about how good they are? I remember it being stated that they could catalog a world at the atomic level from orbit without a problem but I don't remember if that was canon or fannon.

well even if the sensor could i don't think their computers have that much memory to record the position of every single atom of a entire planet
    sigpic
    Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
    StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
    GW member infractions : 1

Comment

Originally posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
      Are there any statements in the show about how good they are? I remember it being stated that they could catalog a world at the atomic level from orbit without a problem but I don't remember if that was canon or fannon.
      Better than the television show's "V"'s Earth, I can tell you that.
      If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
      Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
      If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
      Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Well, they can beam things across the planet and anywhere on it. The beaming technology basically works (at least it seems so) by de-materializing and re-materializing matter. In order to beam like that, you have to know exactly what the thing you beaming is made of. If you can beam from anywhere withing range to anywhere within range, then you should, theoretically, be able to detect and store the information of the whole planet...
        That's pretty bad-ass!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Edi View Post
          Well, they can beam things across the planet and anywhere on it. The beaming technology basically works (at least it seems so) by de-materializing and re-materializing matter. In order to beam like that, you have to know exactly what the thing you beaming is made of. If you can beam from anywhere withing range to anywhere within range, then you should, theoretically, be able to detect and store the information of the whole planet...
          That's pretty bad-ass!
          Faulty logic.

It only has to be able to scan and store the object its beaming, the area it beams too doesn't need to be scanned in detail at all as long as there isn't a wall there there's no problem. Where you got the idea it can detect and store the entire planet I don't know, it only has to scan 2 points the point/object its beaming at the point its beaming to.
          Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
            Faulty logic.

It only has to be able to scan and store the object its beaming, the area it beams too doesn't need to be scanned in detail at all as long as there isn't a wall there there's no problem. Where you got the idea it can detect and store the entire planet I don't know, it only has to scan 2 points the point/object its beaming at the point its beaming to.
            They have to be able to scan stuff at a molecule level (minimum) from orbit for beaming and their hologram technology to work. The only way to hear what someone on the ground is saying to your hologram when you are in orbit is by noting the interactions of all of the relevant air molecules and then reproducing that interaction on your ship. Beaming requires at least a molecular level scan so it knows how to put you back together at the other end.

The question is more along the lines of "How wide of an area can the Asgard scan like that at a time, how deep into a planet can they scan?", than "Can they scan at a molecular scale from orbit".

Comment

If thy can scan a small area, then they can scan all the planet, if not by widening he range, then by putting small pieces together (Google Earth).

Buba, my logic applies if the tech works by de-materializing the matter and re-materializing, because it would require to know what exactly they are beaming in order to construct it... no?
              Really, it depends... We don't know how the tech works...
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Edi View Post
                If thy can scan a small area, then they can scan all the planet, if not by widening he range, then by putting small pieces together (Google Earth).

Buba, my logic applies if the tech works by de-materializing the matter and re-materializing, because it would require to know what exactly they are beaming in order to construct it... no?
                Really, it depends... We don't know how the tech works...
                No matter how the tech works, it has to scan what it is beaming up. If it turns you into energy and then back into matter at the other end, it has too know what matter to turn you into. If it just breaks you down into individual molecules and then reassembles you at the other end, it still has to know how those molecules are assembled.

Comment

And it has to simulate all the atomic interactions, heat you have at the moment, elctrical impulses etc while at it. What would happen if the beam just made molecule for molecule and didn't give you that 'bolt' to jump start the new beamed body?

Comment

in order to minimize data use i believe it would rather use massive building blocks. like, entire molecules. not atom by atom.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                      in order to minimize data use i believe it would rather use massive building blocks. like, entire molecules. not atom by atom.
                      If it did that people would lose their last thought and I always thought they were breaked down to the quantum level beside the point it should be theoretical impossible to do both things. Hey the tollans had physics knowledge that they thought quantum theory was basic learning for primary school children and Nyam(is that his name) said is has proved false/outdated/etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mirdin1992 View Post
                        If it did that people would lose their last thought and I always thought they were breaked down to the quantum level beside the point it should be theoretical impossible to do both things. Hey the tollans had physics knowledge that they thought quantum theory was basic learning for primary school children and Nyam(is that his name) said is has proved false/outdated/etc.
                        Narim said that Quantum Theory was a "common misconception of elementary science".
                        If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                        Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                        If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                        Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

They can find needles in haystacks, if on cliché mode.
                          Wraith ships are giant lobsters.

Comment

Working...
                          X