stargate user-guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stargate user-guide

i as thinking about this really long and still wonder why no one or a group on this forum have throught of working together on creating a stargate users guide with schematics, information on the ancients ,the dhd systems, the chevrons, different stargates, planets, alien species and alot more, compiled together in the style of a very worn and tea stained looking guide, putting it on here in a pdf document for all to download and enjoy, hope people would take a look at this and think as a guide would be wicked......

That would be an interesting idea.
    MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

I think the main problem is that with nearly 16 seasons and three movies of canon (not counting the various non-canon books, games, and animated travesties) there are a lot of contradictions, plot-holes, and unexplained questions in the Stargate universe, that such a guide would be nearly impossible. Add to that each individual's interpretation of events and dialogue ("Does "a thousand worlds" mean the ancients inhabited exactly 1000 planets in Pegasus?"), questions raised about the plausibility of events ("Wait, the ship can take damage in a firefight but it's not destroyed by flying into a star?"), decisions on what canon trumps what (Rules about Gates over-riding each other, point of origins, early seasons implying multiple galaxies), errors (304 bridge locations, Atlantis' configuration, ship scaling), and outright bad decisions on the part of the writers ("Enemy at the Gate" beginning to end, the "Schematics"). All these factors put together means a single definitive guide that is accepted by all and follows canon is simply impossible. Just look at how many threads there are on dialing theory or the power output of a ZPM.

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but I feel like the closest we can get are things like the Gateworld omnipedia and the Stargate Wiki. Especially since SGU is still on, and each episode is bound to bring about more information that could cause us to re-examine established "facts."

For example: Take the Gates themselves. In the Movie, the Stargate was believed to be built by the Goa'uld, was dated to be 10,000 years old, and there was only two with different symbols and no DHDs. Then SG1 started and we find out there are thousands of Gates, dialing devices, and a uniform set of symbols. Later we learn that the Gates were built millions of years ago, and later we learn it was by the Ancients. "The Fifth Race" establishes Stargates in the Asgard galaxy use the same design as the Milky Way Gates. Atlantis showed us that the Ancients updated their deign when moving to Pegasus, implying each galaxy should have its own (ignoring the Asgard's gate in The 5th Race). At that point, we assume the MW red-chevron Gates were the first built. Suddenly Supergates happen, then they can connect to regular Gates. Enemy at the Gate comes around and the rules about gates blocking each other and superseding connections suddenly change. THEN SGU comes out and re-invents the Gate, claiming the MW were not the prototypes, that a whole different design preceded them, a design that is both more and less advanced at the same time, plus has the added benefit of being completely different in the mechanics or dialing and addresses. Oh, and the ninth chevron is magic and the Earth point of origin is on some other gates. Don't forget that.

As you can see, it's impossible to reconcile everything in the universe of Stargate. And as long as it is being re-written, it's inadvisable to do that. And even if the show were consistent, there would still be arguments over the topics covered in the book. If anything, a show bible like what you describe should have been written early on and stuck to before two decades of writing changed the face of the franchise immensely.
      Last edited by sunrek; 23 December 2009, 09:59 AM.
      Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind. -Albert Einstein

I'm beginning to realize no one actually reads my posts.

Comment

There are a lot of things that agreement can be reached on. What we need, I think, is some sort of a committee on establishing consistent fanon of the technology of Stargate. The attempt should be made to use as much real world physics as possible to come up with list of rules of operation for various devices that would make sense, while resolving as many canon contradictions as possible.

For example, yes, we see that ordinary gate can dial into a supergate, but it would stand to reason that nothing can actually go through it, and indeed, we see no evidence to the contrary. Then any earlier statements that the gates have to be the same size can be taken as requirement that they have to be of the same size to allow for transport of matter.

Committee would hold discussion groups and publish materials, such as the suggested Stargate user-guide, as a form of semi-official fanon.

Looks familiar?

Comment

Originally posted by K^2 View Post
          There are a lot of things that agreement can be reached on. What we need, I think, is some sort of a committee on establishing consistent fanon of the technology of Stargate. The attempt should be made to use as much real world physics as possible to come up with list of rules of operation for various devices that would make sense, while resolving as many canon contradictions as possible.

For example, yes, we see that ordinary gate can dial into a supergate, but it would stand to reason that nothing can actually go through it, and indeed, we see no evidence to the contrary. Then any earlier statements that the gates have to be the same size can be taken as requirement that they have to be of the same size to allow for transport of matter.

Committee would hold discussion groups and publish materials, such as the suggested Stargate user-guide, as a form of semi-official fanon.

now we are talking, thats something that can work like a charm, lets see how things pan out

Comment

Well in that case, count me in on this project.
            Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind. -Albert Einstein

I'm beginning to realize no one actually reads my posts.

Comment

Originally posted by sunrek View Post
              Well in that case, count me in on this project.

nice, where will be holding these meetings and publishing peices for all to see....

Comment

For a start, a thread on the forum will do. We need to decide on some form of an official name, then set up a thread offering people to join. Once we have a body of the committee, we can start looking for a more permanent setup.

For discussions, Google Wave works extremely well. I have some invitations, so it shouldn't be a problem to set up.

Once we come up with something useful, we could probably get some fan site to provide us with a page to publish articles and whatnot. Worst case scenario, we can get payed hosting somewhere and set up our own site.

Looks familiar?

Comment

What about a Gateworld Group?
                  If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                  Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                  If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                  Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

For a start, a thread on the forum will do. We need to decide on some form of an official name, then set up a thread offering people to join. Once we have a body of the committee, we can start looking for a more permanent setup.

For discussions, Google Wave works extremely well. I have some invitations, so it shouldn't be a problem to set up.

Once we come up with something useful, we could probably get some fan site to provide us with a page to publish articles and whatnot. Worst case scenario, we can get payed hosting somewhere and set up our own site.

we could use freewebs, a good distributer, where would we set up the forum group, we could have a group inviting others to join a forum for disscussions then to post up the peices of work in pdf to the freewebs site, what do you think......

Comment

I'd rather avoid freewebs if possible. I'm sure we can think of better hosting options when we get to it.

Looks familiar?

Comment

I'd rather avoid freewebs if possible. I'm sure we can think of better hosting options when we get to it.

i know of a decent site creator that could be used called wix, its free so its all good, we could have a seperate forum just for this and others can post there own ideas, tell me what you think

Comment

or you can just use gateworld , and i think they would offer to host you pdf userguide if not then stargate wiki , i am saying to use a already existing community because there are many people here and you keep thinks in one place
                          sigpic
                          Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
                          StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
                          GW member infractions : 1

Comment

Originally posted by webxro View Post
                            or you can just use gateworld , and i think they would offer to host you pdf userguide if not then stargate wiki , i am saying to use a already existing community because there are many people here and you keep thinks in one place
                            hmmmm, sounds good yeah, i think there should be a catagory set up for it so we all can view

Comment

i once tried to make one on my own but the time-line is really mess-up
                              sigpic
                              Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
                              StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
                              GW member infractions : 1

Comment

Working...
                              X