Asgard Beam for Excavation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asgard Beam for Excavation

I was wondering if anyone thought it was possible to use an asgard beam for excavation or if it could only transport separated objects and not a chunk of earth as we once saw an entire buiding beamed away which I assume must have been securely attached to the ground. This also shows that significant mass can be transported so if you targeted say a 100x100x100 meter cube of earth could it be beamed out?

i would say that it might be possible but remember that thought the building was a Naquadah bomb the structure was laced with the stuff not built out of it and like most buildings the interior was 85-90% air
    sigpicRequiescat in pace Weedle

Comment

Yeah but my wondering was less to do with the size of whats transported, I just used the building as evidence that something of significant size can be transported. My main concern was whether a piece of a larger structure could be beamed away or as I said a specific section of earth or must the target be free standing. As I said the building would have been strongly secured to ground and was still able to be beamed away.

Comment

The Belisker was able to scoop up three pyramids with no trouble in "Thor's Chariot."

Comment

I'd say it's quite possible and given the advanced sensors we now have, we could also eliminate the need for taking huge chunks by just extracting the minerals, ore, etc. that we wanted. I suppose that we could even have a second ship standing by to immediately fill in the void with unwanted materials. Of course this could also have military applications, ie. sinking enemy strongholds.
          sigpic

Comment

It was a thought I had when I watched fail safe. The naquadah deposit in enemy mine was 300m in length and equated to 53000 tonnes of naquadah. The asteroid launched at earth was 137km long and 45% naquadah meaning theres probably easily 100 times as much naquadah. There must be other similar asteroids out there that contain naquadah but cant be mined conventionally but could be using beaming technology.

Comment

or at the very least dropped into a stable orbit so that they can be mined and refined.
              sigpicRequiescat in pace Weedle

Comment

question:

is beam mining possible?

Answer:

using 3 Asgard Computer Cores and multiple Beaming Nodes, combined with a powerful sensor array and large cargo bays, could, indeed, "beam mine".

it would probably require a special "space station", and i doubt it is more energy efficient than conventional mining, but it could be done

Comment

i think the amount to be beamed would be directly proportional to the amount of amount of energy used to beam the object, so it might be possible to use the beam tech to mine but you have to think about the energy it has to use in order to beam large amounts of material.
                  who knows, the amount of energy might grow exponentially with increasing amounts of target material.

Comment

Originally posted by strider2289 View Post
                    I was wondering if anyone thought it was possible to use an asgard beam for excavation or if it could only transport separated objects
                    Once you are dematerializing/disintegrating objects for transport, it doesn't really matter if something is attached or not. It's just a matter of setting up the targeting algorithms and compensating for surface energy. I see absolutely no reason why Asgard beam can't be used for excavation with right programming.
                    MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

Originally posted by K^2 View Post
                      Once you are dematerializing/disintegrating objects for transport, it doesn't really matter if something is attached or not. It's just a matter of setting up the targeting algorithms and compensating for surface energy. I see absolutely no reason why Asgard beam can't be used for excavation with right programming.
                      I can't see a reason for Asgard beam can't be used at everything.

Comment

Good point.
                        MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

Originally posted by K^2 View Post
                          Good point.
                          I mean it. I have a lot of ideas of how to use it, I don't know where to start. Could probably rule a good chunk of the milky way with it and a couple of years prep start.

And this is without the make something out of thin air option and turn lead into gold, steel, water etc. If I had that I seriously could conquer the local group and make multiple dyson spheres before my 30th birthday.

Comment

we know you're serious.

it's powerful technology. one beaming node on the deadalus is nothing. combine asgard sensors with asgard computer cores, power cores and beaming nodes, and anything can be mined and made.

we do not know if we can change the atom itself, but mere chemical bonds are possible. the idea of constructing something on the molecular level, its great, beaming tech would allow pure building materials to be made, but also nanocomputers and what not are possible

Comment

I was more along the line they can make replicators that can more replicators and those make some more.....

Really Von Neumann the galaxy with loyal, adaptive, with the minimum of self preservation(I.E. move out of the way or get squished but don't kill the sentient without specific orders) and be totally ARW immune or design a new self replicating bot thats better that the previous one and totally unrelated besides both being Von Neumann machines.

'Dyson sphere Resortâ„¢' here I come .

Comment

Working...
                              X