Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
    So RCC and RDA are not are the best of terms i don't believe it. is any actor that work for stargate on best of terms with the writers? i wasn't being sarcastic, nor was i suppose to be. it's an honest question.
    I've always had the impression that most of the actors on SG have always been on good terms with TPTB. That's partly what makes SG so unique. Most of them will tell you that there's always been a true 'family' feel behind the scenes.

I've never actually heard that story about RDA and RCC before *shrugs*

Comment

Originally posted by jumble View Post
      I've always had the impression that most of the actors on SG have always been on good terms with TPTB. That's partly what makes SG so unique. Most of them will tell you that there's always been a true 'family' feel behind the scenes.

yeah. I Know RDA and BW (Brad Wright) are really Close so thats good. and i know all of the actors are on good terms with each other. RDA, AT, MS, CJ.
      Last edited by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard; 21 December 2009, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starlover View Post
        She is...she even made me make this sig...

Spoilered for Kerry/Pete:

Spoiler:
        http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b15/wyattrulezz/Sigs/bekkisig.jpg

Ouch. But at least Kerry/Pete is better than the other options
        SJ4Ever!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel500 View Post
          You know I don't think I've posted this here yet

Mmmm... Comparative visual studies of Sam & Jack! LOVE IT!!

Okay. Jack in the image on the left. Kinda looks... smug. To me, anyway. It's an "I'm gonna get the girl and I know it." look. Sam... she just looks... smitten. "Yup. He's my guy." (Don't know why there was always that "can't let Sam be *Jack's girl*" phobia thing going on. Cause its so obvious that *Jack* is *Sam's Guy*! )

The image on the right... It's now Sam looking smug-- "See! Told ya he's my guy!" Jack, on the other hand... The one thing I imagine him thinking every single time I see that image is: "Is it time to go *Fishing* again yet?"

There's no Shipper like a Gutter Shipper!

Love and hot fudge,
          Bren Ren
          ~
          My stories!
          ~

sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:

Kerry/Pete ???!!! LMFAO

always!
            sigpic
            My vids Sig made by me

Comment

Spoiler:
              Okay, I cannot believe I'm actually posting this thought, but... Considering 's history, it wouldn't be much of a stretch for *him* to get in bed with the CIA.

Spoiler:
              Since I've mentioned it now, I'll also mention that that was the one thing I couldn't quite wrap my head around in the Jack/Kerry relationship. I still have a hard time reconciling the Jack I know and love with the guy who crawled into bed with the CIA--er, Kery. But Kerry was cool. I liked her.

Spoiler:
              I know. I never like *Others*. Must be this wonky-lack-of-holiday-spirit thing going to my head. First last nite's convos and now this. I'm gonna go make an Uber-Angsty wallpaper now.
              Love and hot fudge,
              Bren Ren
              ~
              My stories!
              ~

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BrenRen View Post
                Mmmm... Comparative visual studies of Sam & Jack! LOVE IT!!

Okay. Jack in the image on the left. Kinda looks... smug. To me, anyway. It's an "I'm gonna get the girl and I know it." look. Sam... she just looks... smitten. "Yup. He's my guy." (Don't know why there was always that "can't let Sam be *Jack's girl*" phobia thing going on. Cause its so obvious that *Jack* is *Sam's Guy*! )

The image on the right... It's now Sam looking smug-- "See! Told ya he's my guy!" Jack, on the other hand... The one thing I imagine him thinking every single time I see that image is: "Is it time to go *Fishing* again yet?"

So true. I definitely agree with you.

There's no Shipper like a Gutter Shipper!

AMEN!!!!

Ok laughing at the TV right now. The penguins are on it and we're having snow atm(and very cold), you see them shaking ...awwww...but they got some extra shelters*waggles eyebrows* and the care taker was already talking about lots of baby penguins soon...
                sigpic

Comment

hey everybody, i just wanted to drop in and say that i loved Shipmas. Everything was very well done and yeah. Loved it
                  sigpic
                  thanks sg4ever for the awesome icon!!! (dont steal it!!!) My FanFic

Comment

Jack luvs Sam. Just look at him watching her:

Comment

Originally posted by jumble View Post
                      Me neither, nor do I see him as being particularly ship-unfriendly, even if not as overtly pro-ship as some of the others. I can imagine RCC being upset RDA left, though. RCC wrote or cowrote most of the heavy Jack-centric or Jack-back-story stories (Lost City, The Fifth Race, Fair Game, The Devil You Know, Paradise Lost, Zero Hour, Threads) which includes several of better S/J storylines. He also wrote or cowrote 'ship classics' like In the Line of Duty, Nemesis/Small Victories, Frozen, and Heroes. It was RCC who inserted the scene about Sam following the rules into Gemini, the scene about social pressure to form relationships into Affinity, and the 'not exactly' scene into EDM. So either he was relatively 'ship friendly' or he had a LOT less god-like power than is normally ascribed to him. He can't be both ship-unfriendly and god-like with that writing history. Like I said, I can see him being upset as he'd invested a lot in the Jack character... but as for the other accusations*shrugs* Whatever the case, I don't see it *onscreen*, which is IMHO the only place it really matters.

In fact, RCC wrote or cowrote just about every single one of my favorite episodes, so I may be a bit biased here. (he also wrote Singularity and Redemptions) So while some may feel he destroyed the show, IMHO, he's largely responsible for it's greatness. But what do I know.

(and yes, I'll play if it means I can fangurl a writer )

Comment

Since I've mentioned it now, I'll also mention that that was the one thing I couldn't quite wrap my head around in the Jack/Kerry relationship. I still have a hard time reconciling the Jack I know and love with the guy who crawled into bed with the CIA--er, Kery. But Kerry was cool. I liked her.
                        Since I'm fangurling him already... The brilliant thing about Kerry and how it relates to 'the other' plot line is that, at the very end, 'they' twisted the story. Because traditionally in TV-land, 'the other' is a double whammy. She dates Pete, she realizes Pete's not right for her and she's really in love with Jack, she goes to tell Jack, she finds Jack with Kerry, she breaks up with Pete but now Jack is with Kerry...

Rinse and repeat. We've all seen replayed so many times *we* could write it in out sleep.

Yet, just when I was sure it was going to be 'just another TV ship'.. Whammo. Kerry acted like an *ACTUAL* human being with a modicum of observational ability and self-respect and rather than cling to Jack knowing he loved someone else, she let him go. And Jack acted like an *actual* human being and realized he didn't have to stay with Kerry and went to Sam. And Sam acted like an *actual* human being and didn't kick Jack out of the observation room just because he'd been with Kerry...

It. was. AMAZING.

/fangurl moment

Uhm. Sorry? You were saying about Kerry?

But anyway, that's why this 'other' scenario is different. Because they were going *there*... and then suddenly they weren't.

Or, as my John said during the fishing scene (and we knew what they'd done simply by the way they were acting even though we weren't in fandom and had NO idea what 'fishing' meant), "My god. They actually let them do *that*.. on TV?!?" Though he wasn't talking simply about 'fishing', but about real human behavior

Comment

Okay, so I said I was gonna make an Angsty wallpaper... but I ended up making Cover Art for my newest WIP (yes, I keep adding more before finishing what I've already got dangling... ), so this pic isn't strictly Angsty...

Click pic for full size...

And if you missed it, here's the linky to the story again: Surface Exposed in the Holiday Light
                          Love and hot fudge,
                          Bren Ren
                          ~
                          My stories!
                          ~

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gater62 View Post
                            Where is the Shipper's OT thread? I thought it was bookmarked, but it's not on my list. Rats!
                            The Sam and Jack Shipper Lounge is still open for business! Drop by, pull up a bean bag and snuggle down with a cuppa Hot Chocolate!

Originally posted by Regularamanda View Post
                            I wasn't kidding when I said I'd spam every picture...
                            You are soooo cute for doing this! I'm having shippy giggle fits while scrolling through.

Originally posted by Pol View Post
                            Whoa, popping into a bit of a storm. Okay, folks, we all love Sam/Jack and that's why we're here. Let's take a deep breath and remember that fact, okay?

Tone and meaning don't translate well into written text, so...okay, deep breath

Now, that said, I'm dropping off a Campfire, post Jolinar's Memories. Enjoy.

Then go eat a Christmas cookie.
                            *munches on a Purple Shipper Cookie from Ship Nana's Bakery*

Originally posted by VSS View Post
                            Well, I think you're right about that, sally. And not to restart this convo, but
                            Spoiler:
                            There's a difference between discussing canon, and imagining a romantic relationship that's been negated by the writers themselves. That takes a bit of desire and interest in the relationship that goes past the observation of what is happening on the screen. And if a shipper is defined as someone wants to see the relationship, well...

But I guess my main objection to Sam/Teal'c is that it reinforces the idea of Sam being unwilling or unable to stick with Jack through thick and thin, of needing to be with someone. Which was understandable before Threads, but now, not so much. It's a summation of things- TRE, The Road Not Taken, the comments that AT has made, the fact that we've never seen S/J confirmed on screen.

And I also see it as sort of symptomatic. We've been waiting, and waiting and waiting. And it's natural for us to wonder why that is, to make the story we believe fit with what we see. Or maybe even to distance ourselves from the ship in case we're disappointed. Hence the questioning. I was just mentioning this to Cags the other day as the reason why I've pretty much left the building. I've got my little image of S/J, and maybe imagination is all I'm ever going to get. I would like to keep what happy thoughts I have.
                            I also want, no... like, no... NEED to keep the happy, shippy memories I have from watching the series AS IT WAS HAPPENING. Those are most precious to me because those are the real memories. It's so easy these days to rewatch a gazillion times and analyse every which way imaginable, but that's not entertainment for me, it's confusing. This is why I avoid spoilers and commentaries and magazine articles and convention talk and most fanfic. Heck, I don't even like the alternate universe/timeline episodes!

(oops! how'd that get in there?)
                            smilies by zuz

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
                              {snip, snip, snip}... the scene about social pressure to form relationships into Affinity... {snip, snip, snip}
                              Wha.... Huh??? Social pressure... relationships... Affinity... ???

<is confuzzled>

Oh, don't look surprised. I've only watched *that* episode in its entirety once. That was all I could stomach. Though I did go through something of a masochistic phase during which I watched *just the lab scene* sveral times a day for several days on end.

But the rest... It's a foggy blur. And I prefer to keep it that way. For the most part. But this social pressure scene... wouldn't mind a refresher on the content of that discussion. Cause there ain't no way I'm pulling that ep up on the player. If I even saved it.

(Hey, when it came to the Gilmore Girls series, of the last season, I only kept the first scene of the first episode and the last three episodes of the series! )
                              Love and hot fudge,
                              Bren Ren
                              ~
                              My stories!
                              ~

sigpic

Comment

Wha.... Huh??? Social pressure... relationships... Affinity... ???
                                Scene:
                                Spoiler:
                                SGC. DANIEL’S OFFICE. Sam, Daniel and Teal’c are talking.
                                TEAL’C: I do not understand Krista’s behaviour.
                                DANIEL: Yeah – that’s a common problem. Most cultures on Earth recognise it as a significant gap between the experiences of men and women. Among the Masai of East Africa each newly-wed man is actually required to wear his wife’s clothing for a month as a way of gaining insight into her life.
                                CARTER (looking bothered by the conversation): If only it were that simple.
                                (Daniel throws her a look, then continues.)
                                DANIEL: The point is, while rituals and customs may vary, almost all cultures put significant pressure on single adults to form bonding pairs. In ancient Persia, if a girl died a virgin they would go so far as to marry her corpse off before burial.
                                CARTER: That’s horrible!
                                DANIEL: The groom was usually quite well-paid.
                                CARTER: It’s bad enough being on your own without every TV show and commercial and magazine ad trying to tell you how abnormal it is.
                                DANIEL: I think that’s what I just said.
                                CARTER: I mean, they make you afraid of being alone but at the same time tell you not to settle for anything less than the perfect romantic ideal, like that actually exists anywhere in the real world. I mean, either way you can’t win. (She sighs irritably. Daniel raises his eyebrows at Teal’c, then turns to Sam.)
                                DANIEL: How’s things?
                                CARTER: Good. (She glances between Daniel and Teal’c.) We were talking about Teal’c’s friend, right?
                                DANIEL: I thought we were.
                                CARTER: Teal’c, how do Jaffa couples handle their problems?
                                TEAL’C: On Chulak, a dispute between a man and a woman that cannot be resolved necessitates a pledge break. It must be requested by one and granted by the other.
                                DANIEL: And if that doesn’t work?
                                TEAL’C: A weapon is required.
                                This scene gives some terrific insight into Sam's thoughts and actions, setting up the idea she knows she's settling with Pete because she's given up on the possibility of having the 'perfect romantic ideal' she longs for and now is going on with the relationship because it's what she believes she's 'supposed' to do.

And if you tie this in to the scene in Gemini which RCC inserted:
                                Spoiler:
                                REPLICARTER: You have untapped greatness inside you, Sam, but you’re limited by your own fears. You play by the rules, you do as you’re told, and you deny yourself your own desires.
                                CARTER: I have no desire to rule the galaxy, believe me.
                                REPLICARTER: All humans desire power. It’s just that most of them are never in a position to attain it.

We have the set-up for what Jacob later says, that she's not to let rules and regulations stand in her way. Because, IMHO, Sam's settling with Pete isn't simply because she believes the rules and regulations are preventing her from being with Jack, but because she believes the deeper societal 'rules' that she must have a relationship which confirms to certain patterns and standards and so doesn't realize that she can have - and should demand - more.

Comment

Working...
                                X