Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
    I have a slightly different opinion on how time travel and timelines work. <snip>
    Or, in other words, there is fundamentally no difference between alternate timelines and alternate realities. Creating an alternate timeline actually creates an alternate reality from the point at which the future is altered. This of course means we are both correct in that 'our' Sam (and Jack and everyone else) never experienced the events of Unending or Last Stand *themselves*, but they never really experienced those of Moebius or Continuum, either. They've always lived in the altered realities in which those things never happened.

<snip>
    You see I tend to go with linear theory which effectively suggests that there is only one timeline within a universe and travel within it only affects that timeline from the point of a traveller arriving within the past - or the future. 1969 is a perfect example of effect preceding cause in a linear timeline.

So for me all the changes happen within the same timeline; it's just a matter of erasing events to a certain point, and then rerecording over the old ones.

But given that nobody really knows how time travel works, I think I'm safe in saying that we both could be completely wrong.

Originally posted by Twilight506 View Post
    Okay okay, it's time for a mini fic based on the FB group about PI the date... and s/j. This is because my head hurts - from Moebius, time travel, Pet Society, and LJ (kicks LJ again - tedious tedious tedious)...

Spoiler:

fic erased for length
    I have to spread the whipping cream green apparently. But nice fic.

Originally posted by BrenRen View Post
    If you'll indulge me a little more self-pimpage (thank you Jenn for that really cool phrase!)... One of my favorite aspects of this vid is the voiceovers. <snippage>. Back to the non-narcissistic Shipping!
    Great vid. I haven't yet worked out how to leave comments on YouTube without having to open an account I have no interest in opening so... again would green but apparently I need to spread the love.
    sigpic
    Women of the Gate LJ Community.
    My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Okay okay, it's time for a mini fic based on the FB group about PI the date... and s/j. This is because my head hurts - from Moebius, time travel, Pet Society, and LJ (kicks LJ again - tedious tedious tedious)...

Spoiler:

Something was up. That's about as far as Jack had gotten as he watched Sam pull her long hair down and started twirling it around her finger. She kept looking at her watch, then looking at him as he "read" his newspaper. Then she'd look at her watch again and take a sip of water. Then look at her watch again.

"Do you know something I don't know?" he asked with exasperation. She got a funny look on her face.

"What are you talking about?"

"You keep...fidgeting. I know you. You don't fidget."

"I do so fidget."

He leveled his gaze. "The last time you fidgeted you sprung it on me that Vala was going to stay with us for two days."

"Vala is not staying with us," she reassured. "Ever again."

Jack raised his eyebrow. "Okay..." Sam glanced at her watch again and he tossed the newspaper aside. "You're doing it again! What is going on??"

She bit her lip before getting up and making her way to him. With a secretive grin she slid down on his lap. "You'll know in," she looked at her watch. "5...4...3...2...1!" Grabbing his head she pressed her lips tightly to his and he eagerly opened his mouth to give her access but was disappointed when she pulled back.

"I'm confused," he whispered. "I thought maybe we were... you know... going fishing..."

"Happy PI!" she practically squealed. "It is March 14, 2015 9:26:53... well I kissed you on the 53 second mark." At his bewildered expression she sighed. "The number... pi... 3.142015 et cetera et cetera? The ratio of the -" Suddenly she was interrupted by his lips pressed against hers.

By the time they parted her face was flushed and Jack smiled widely. "You are such a geek. But you're my geek and you can fish so as I was saying." He waggled his eyebrows suggestively.

"Do you not care that it was a ONE time event EVER?" she cried as he picked her up and started carrying her towards the bedroom, her face contorted in a look of mock dismay.

"Which is why we should celebrate such a historic event," he answered plopping her on the bed. "Wait here and I'll get the whipped cream."

As he walked out towards the kitchen Sam called out after him. "Don't forget the maraschino cherries!!"

Whipped cream? I love it!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
        *passes Asgard-enhanced time-travel aspirin*....
        *grabs aspirin* Ta, I needed these

Jeez, you'd think I had some sort of reputation around here...
        nooooooooooooooo.....Where would we get an idea like that
        sigpic

Comment

Confession: I don't ever watch vids. Not because I don't want to but because :: hangs head in shame :: I'm afraid hubby will tease me... and he always is playing his music. Sooo I keep telling myself that one day ONE DAY I will watch all these vids... you may shame me now.

What? Are you NUTS? Vids are one of the best part of fandom IMO. I've loved and cherished them from way back in the day when all we had was corny things like RealSlideshow and they were grainy and poor but I loved them anyway. Um, this was probably in those early X Files fandom days. Imagine my utetr joy at discovering that I too, could make videos.

Seriously, most of them are four minutes a go. Stick headphones in if you must and do half an hour a day. You won't regret it.

Originally posted by Regularamanda View Post
          Woman! Are you insane? You haven't watched videos?! When you finally decide to...find your way over to me and I'll rec you some nice angsty ones.

Oh I see someone's already beaten me to it. I can rec you some fab ones too. Angst, fluff, gutetr. You name it.
          sigpic

Comment

Confession: I don't ever watch vids. Not because I don't want to but because :: hangs head in shame :: I'm afraid hubby will tease me... and he always is playing his music. Sooo I keep telling myself that one day ONE DAY I will watch all these vids... you may shame me now[...]
            Don't worry, I've got the same problem. I always go through everything when he's not looking . Can you imagine what i had to go through when started posting? Try to be tough and stubborn and he will get bored with teasing. I think/hope (worked in my case)
            I'm with you girl!!!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kusanagi View Post
              Don't worry, I've got the same problem. I always go through everything when he's not looking . Can you imagine what i had to go through when started posting? Try to be tough and stubborn and he will get bored with teasing. I think/hope (worked in my case)
              I'm with you girl!!!
              The worst part is that I started watching SG-1 because of him. O.o LOL

Thoughts on Jacob, Jonas, Jack, and Pete (J...J...J...P...???)

Spoiler:

Overall I think that Sam's dating Pete is, like life, complicated with a lot of different aspects. With my previous discussion contrasting Pete with the previous men in her life, I'm only pulling out one side of the reasoning. Humans are multi-faceted and many of our decisions are an entanglement of personality, previous experiences, future hopes, and current circumstances.

We don't know a lot about Jacob prior to "Secrets" - but the way he attempts to interfere with Sam's life, her exasperation with him, leads me to believe he was more controlling than post-Selmak. Somewhere along the way Sam learned to stand on her own two feet and pull away from her father, but it's clear that she still struggles to please him to some degree (I think it pains her that she can't tell him what she's doing, she wants him to TRUST her that she's doing what she wants and that it's amazing). She even comments that she knew that he would make it about him at some point. Jacob was a military man - he was emotionally distant from his family while still trying to control what they did (I'm sure that Sam's mother's death was the beginning of the rift for Mark/Jacob, but that Jacob's continued lack of emotional & physical presence created further resentment).

So in walks Jonas. While Jonas is certainly extreme - emotionally abusive, he unfortunately shares that controlling quality that her father has. I just imagine that Sam meets him, he's charming, and they date. She lets the relationship continue and doesn't read the warning signs because she's used to her father giving "orders" and dictating her life so to speak. Between her studies (which were no doubt intense) and her AF requirements she probably didn't quite realize what she'd gotten herself into until it was too late. Judging from the way she reacted in "First Commandment" he had some psychological power over her. Much like her father (although as I said in a more extreme way) - he also again, tried to plan her future (I mean, he wanted her to stay and be his goddess FCOL). I'm going to say he was probably emotionally distant as well.

Enter Jack. We know he's emotionally distant. He doesn't talk about how he feels and he avoids rocking the emotional boat. Jack was never abusive (neither was Jacob), but he holds a position of power in her life. He tells her what to do as her commander. While he would never dictate Sam's life... she doesn't know that. Up to Season 7, he's been her boss, telling her what to do when to do it and like a good officer she follows his orders. Not only to Sam and Jack have amazing chemistry, but I have to wonder if her attraction to him was also rooted in the "type" of man she had thus far had in her life.

When she meets Pete this is the first real relationship she's had where *she's* in the position of power. She has the cooler job. She's the one being pursued. I have to believe that while it irritates the hell out of us that he stalked her, if you take a look at Sam's track record, it's believable that she could overlook it. That Pete apologizes must play a part in her brain of sealing his place of being a "good guy" in her mind. Pete has some controlling qualities (buying the house, talking about a dog, etc) - but I think Pete would have backed off if Sam had said anything. I think her relationship with Pete taught her to do what she had only really started to do in "Secrets" and through dumping Jonas - have confidence, go for what you want, don't worry what everyone else will think - stop being a freaking people pleaser.

That last line is why I think it's HUGE what Jacob tells her in "Threads". He's telling her not to settle... and I think by the time we get to Season 8 Sam knows that Jack isn't like Jacob or Jonas. He may give her orders in the field but he never stands in her way. He shows confidence in her decisions and trusts her. THAT'S what sets him apart from (early)Jacob, Jonas, and Pete. JJ&P tried to form Sam into their ideal... and Jack sees Sam as she is and *that* his ideal

But until we get to "Threads" I think she sees Pete as the opposite of JJ&J - he's emotionally/physically present, doesn't hold the power in the relationship (again, I think if she had actually told him what she wanted with the house, he wouldn't have done it), and he behaved differently... but... he didn't know her, he didn't trust her... and that is the ultimate thing that set's Jack apart from him, Jacob, and Jonas (and in the alternate timeline, Joe - who also tried to control her...)

Okay now I have Jann's fic to go beta...

Comment

Me too
                sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:

Overall I think that Sam's dating Pete is, like life, complicated with a lot of different aspects. With my previous discussion contrasting Pete with the previous men in her life, I'm only pulling out one side of the reasoning. Humans are multi-faceted and many of our decisions are an entanglement of personality, previous experiences, future hopes, and current circumstances.

We don't know a lot about Jacob prior to "Secrets" - but the way he attempts to interfere with Sam's life, her exasperation with him, leads me to believe he was more controlling than post-Selmak. Somewhere along the way Sam learned to stand on her own two feet and pull away from her father, but it's clear that she still struggles to please him to some degree (I think it pains her that she can't tell him what she's doing, she wants him to TRUST her that she's doing what she wants and that it's amazing). She even comments that she knew that he would make it about him at some point. Jacob was a military man - he was emotionally distant from his family while still trying to control what they did (I'm sure that Sam's mother's death was the beginning of the rift for Mark/Jacob, but that Jacob's continued lack of emotional & physical presence created further resentment).

So in walks Jonas. While Jonas is certainly extreme - emotionally abusive, he unfortunately shares that controlling quality that her father has. I just imagine that Sam meets him, he's charming, and they date. She lets the relationship continue and doesn't read the warning signs because she's used to her father giving "orders" and dictating her life so to speak. Between her studies (which were no doubt intense) and her AF requirements she probably didn't quite realize what she'd gotten herself into until it was too late. Judging from the way she reacted in "First Commandment" he had some psychological power over her. Much like her father (although as I said in a more extreme way) - he also again, tried to plan her future (I mean, he wanted her to stay and be his goddess FCOL). I'm going to say he was probably emotionally distant as well.

Enter Jack. We know he's emotionally distant. He doesn't talk about how he feels and he avoids rocking the emotional boat. Jack was never abusive (neither was Jacob), but he holds a position of power in her life. He tells her what to do as her commander. While he would never dictate Sam's life... she doesn't know that. Up to Season 7, he's been her boss, telling her what to do when to do it and like a good officer she follows his orders. Not only to Sam and Jack have amazing chemistry, but I have to wonder if her attraction to him was also rooted in the "type" of man she had thus far had in her life.

When she meets Pete this is the first real relationship she's had where *she's* in the position of power. She has the cooler job. She's the one being pursued. I have to believe that while it irritates the hell out of us that he stalked her, if you take a look at Sam's track record, it's believable that she could overlook it. That Pete apologizes must play a part in her brain of sealing his place of being a "good guy" in her mind. Pete has some controlling qualities (buying the house, talking about a dog, etc) - but I think Pete would have backed off if Sam had said anything. I think her relationship with Pete taught her to do what she had only really started to do in "Secrets" and through dumping Jonas - have confidence, go for what you want, don't worry what everyone else will think - stop being a freaking people pleaser.

That last line is why I think it's HUGE what Jacob tells her in "Threads". He's telling her not to settle... and I think by the time we get to Season 8 Sam knows that Jack isn't like Jacob or Jonas. He may give her orders in the field but he never stands in her way. He shows confidence in her decisions and trusts her. THAT'S what sets him apart from (early)Jacob, Jonas, and Pete. JJ&P tried to form Sam into their ideal... and Jack sees Sam as she is and *that* his ideal

But until we get to "Threads" I think she sees Pete as the opposite of JJ&J - he's emotionally/physically present, doesn't hold the power in the relationship (again, I think if she had actually told him what she wanted with the house, he wouldn't have done it), and he behaved differently... but... he didn't know her, he didn't trust her... and that is the ultimate thing that set's Jack apart from him, Jacob, and Jonas (and in the alternate timeline, Joe - who also tried to control her...)

It actually makes a lot of sense. I think it's scientifically proven that people always try to find in their partners something familiar (usually something that reminds them of mother or father). It's actually what determines our choice.

something strange is happening with my computer...
                  sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:

Great post, Twilight! I very much agree.

And LOL, there must be a thing with "J" names on this show: Jack, Jacob, Janet, Jonas Hansen, Jonas Quinn, Joe, Jonah in BtS...
                    sigpic
                    The Return of King Arthur
                    Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
                    acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

THANK YOU!!!

stupidblastedgremlininfested YOUTUBE!!!

If you'll indulge me a little more self-pimpage (thank you Jenn for that really cool phrase!)... One of my favorite aspects of this vid is the voiceovers. There were a couple I couldn't quite make work because the underscoring from the ep clashed horribly with the soundtrack for the vid... and I couldn't find the right filters to scrub the ep underscore, soooo... the mute button was the only option left.

The other parts for which I really really liked the final outcome were the clips from Entity with Jack at Sam's bedside after shooting her which crossfaded into Sam waking up in the infirmary and calling out for Jack at the end of Grace, with the underscoring lyrics "After all, what else is living for?" And... to the words "We keep coming back to these two hearts", I managed this really cool series of splices from the Metamorphosis snuggle into the Beneath the Surface snuggle and back to Metamorphosis. It gives me goosebumps every time.

Okay, self=pimpage over. Back to the non-narcissistic Shipping!

you're not the only one who'd like to give YT a dose of the sledgehammer....

After Assininity Affinity first aired, I was utterly devastated, I tell you.

And then I went on a clip-viewing binge. The Lab Scene. I watched that clip over. and over. and over. and over. and over. Every day for weeks on end. I just could not wrap my mind around how Sam could go from that conversation to accepting Mr. Spudly's proposal.

To be honest... I still don't get it.

She throws out every feeble excuse in the book, which Jack graciously deflects, before she finally gets around to the *real* heart of the matter.

"What about you? If things had been different..."

She was practically begging him to give her a reason to say no.

"I wouldn't be here."

Okay, yes, that was just about the most cryptic answer the man could have given her. But, unlike so many opinions I've read here, I never once (well, until seeing the idea here) got the impression he was referring to Charlie.

If things had been different... he wouldn't be *here* watching the woman he loves slip right through his fingers into the waiting arms of another believing that there isn't a damn thing he can do about it.

But that's just the way I see it. I'm telling you, these ultra-saturated rosy Shipper glasses are well worth the virtual price!
                      I concur....

Originally posted by kusanagi View Post
                      It actually makes a lot of sense. I think it's scientifically proven that people always try to find in their partners something familiar (usually something that reminds them of mother or father). It's actually what determines our choice.

something strange is happening with my computer...
                      *passes the ARG in case said computer starts evolving into a technobug*.....

Comment

Affinity ring scene:
                        I agree with Bren here. It makes no sense at the end of the episode that Sam says "yes" to Pete. Everytime I see that scene it looks like Sam wants to break up with Pete and not wants to marry him. She is looking for every way possible to give her an excuse to not marry Pete, but Jack is coming back every time and isn't letting her give a right excuse to not say yes to Pete...this could perhaps means that Sam in the end thinks she should marry him(because why not?) ...but still if you are thinking like that if you should say "yes" or not it isn't right IMHO.
                        I think on the moment he asked she should have known it...in the end, even though I still dislike Pete, I find it sad for him. He believed in it and she let him down! I do believe that Pete is a good guy, but he just wasn't the right person for Sam.

Anyway...that's that.

As for the "J" names...yup...lots of 'em...must be because a name starting with "'J" is just awesome

Twi, Great post...and erm...yes...go beta...good girl!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post

*passes the ARG in case said computer starts evolving into a technobug*.....

sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:

Great post Twi, totally agree with your analysis. Would have greened you but I seem to be all out

Originally posted by starlover View Post
                            As for the "J" names...yup...lots of 'em...must be because a name starting with "'J" is just awesome

Twi, Great post...and erm...yes...go beta...good girl!
                            Yep! I agree with that
                            sigpic
                            Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Originally posted by starlover View Post
                              Originally posted by josiane View Post
                              Yep! I agree with that
                              As do I!
                              sigpic
                              The Return of King Arthur
                              Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
                              acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Affinity
                                Sam, Daniel and Teal'c talking

For me, Carter talking about conflicting over being alone and the perfect romance is referencing Pete. The last we'd seen of Carter, Pete had just proposed and she was completely surprised. Now she was turmoiling, er, analyzing, er, contemplating her options.

Her comment is based on all of her experiences. We've only seen a few: Hanson (sort of), Narim, Martouf and Jack. I don't count Orlin, McKay, Felger *snort* or Agent Barrett because of onesidedness.

Of those experiences, I give Jack and Martouf the least weight because there is too much interference for her to know what's real and what's not. Carter's analytical mind would rule out most of those experiences.

Hanson was a bad experience.

Narim was actually a whole lot of something starting up for her but then Jolinar happened and her analytical brain called a stop.

Then “Grace” happened and she realized she had come to terms with her personal life as it was, but it was eating away at her. She'd done all the analyzing she can do and it was time to start taking chances.

Jack was not an option, by mutual agreement. Narim was dead, at least we're pretty sure. When Pete landed on her doorstep she jumped right in because that's how Sam tackles problems.

With Pete she had the “perfect romance.” He gave her flowers, took her dancing and made passionate love to her. He was openly enchanted by her. She even gave him a pass on the stalking. I'm sure she did some checking of her own before dismissing it though. Actually, I figure Pete's checking on Sam set off an alarm that went to Hammond and he would have ordered a check on Pete.

She was trying to move ahead in this real-feelings relationship but she still struggled with feelings for Jack. She tried to work them out with him but these two just plain do not communicate well. They only send mixed signals, which they both misinterpret.

The turmoiling contemplating she touched on with Daniel and Teal'c finally boiled over when Jack came to her lab and pushed her to talk to him.

Comment

Working...
                                X