No announcement yet.

Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here's a question what makes an AU a Good AU story i mean what does it need to have to make it a good one.

Comment

I prefer reading stories set in canon as well. My reasoning, I guess, is similar to Jennifer's. I've never liked contradicting events on the show either, and since there's always room for more to be given, I like to see that in fic. I've read a few AUs here and there, but generally my interest isn't as high because it's not the real Sam and Jack... and I'd like to explore the real ones. Well, as real as they can be.

I've read odd stories about them being set at High School... and I don't make it past the first chapter Sorry...
      sigpic
      Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

If I read FF, I don't really care if it's AU, as long as it's plausible. Is Sam a teacher and Jack a dad? Sure why not. But if Sam's working as a ...space prostitute and Jack is the one making her work... No.
        (That was just an extreme example, don't go and ask for a link ). It doesn't have to fit with canon, as long as it works.

If it's a regular story, I don't mind some silly twists, but in that case it should be in character.
        Being original is difficult when you can't stop quoting your favorite tv show, For crying out loud!

sigpic
        Letters to TPTB - The Martin Wood Thread - WooHoodStock Guide -S.H.I.P. Website

Comment

AU vs Canon

Well, my preference as a writer is to stick with canon as much as possible with the caveat that at the end of the day it's my interpretation of canon.

So I am kind of aware when we get to S9/S10 where Sam/Jack is concerned, actually there's very little canon to draw from: there are hints, vague references, but nothing concrete. Hence, I know any story where I have written Sam/Jack in it post S8 even if all other aspects of it might be considered canon, it could be rendered AU at any given moment (although unlikely given recent comments by TPTB and the cut Trio scene). And which is why I've oscillated in my post S8 fics between having them married (and when they got married) or just being together, etc.

I have written AU (A Pond With No Fish) and I would say that the characterisation I based the Sam and Jack on is in line for post S8 but by the end of the story, (and if I were to pick that story up and write a sequel), the Sam and Jack are different characters from the Sam and Jack currently in canon because the characters in my AU have gone through different events and different experiences.

(And actually, in recently adding a story to my Airwolf-verse (which picks up from the series and continues the story) I realised my Stringfellow Hawke - the lead character for those that don't know the show - had changed so much in terms of everything that *I* had put him through in my fics, that while I love where my Hawke had gotten to in terms of his character journey, I missed writing the Hawke of the TV series itself).

As a reader, I enjoy reading 'what if' scenarios, but I do tend to mentally ascribe all of it as AU. As such I allow for a lot more differences with characterisation than I would if reading a story which is set within the boundaries of canon. But as Jenn says, it kind of does end up meaning that when I'm reading, it becomes a story about a Sam and a Jack in a Stargate-esque universe but they're not actually the Sam & Jack in my head.

I don't mind this if the story is well-written. Annerb's String Theory AU is fantastically superb; it's not our Sam & Jack but then it doesn't pretend to be - and I think sometimes that actually is the key difference between a good AU fic and a bad AU fic is whether the authors have acknowledged that by exploring a what if (including if Sam and Jack had screwed the regs S1-S8 pre Threads), they are automatically creating an AU and therefore are working with variations of the characters not the actual canon characters.
          sigpic
          Women of the Gate LJ Community.
          My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
            http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv339/regularamanda/jackonground.jpg
            sam: sir, are you alright?
            jack: lower, carter.
            sam: sir, are you alright?
            jack: not your voice, carter, your hand!
            Giggles

Originally posted by starlover View Post
            My two pennies for the AU or canon debate while reading fanfic.

I must start with that I like to read both, but it depends on my mood. <snip>
            Yeah that about sums it. I have a hard time reading TAGs to episodes most days especially since most are UST to the max since well they got to wait...DARN CANON!

I am a sucker for season 9 and onward canon because I know its going to be RST (and I flip to the back to make sure) I need my fluff darn it

If I want to read something where they get together earlier than fishing then I of course have to read AU but I like it to stick as closely to what the show showed us instead of jumping off tracks...hmmm I don't know if that made sense Basically I like the character facts (the nitty gritty we gleen from the show) to still be facts, the things that make us love them so much.
            sigpic
            GO NEWMAN! 31!

Comment

*happy dances onto the Thread* (SGU and Sanctuary both got renewed - I'll be all week...)

Originally posted by Rachel500 View Post
              So I am kind of aware when we get to S9/S10 where Sam/Jack is concerned, actually there's very little canon to draw from: there are hints, vague references, but nothing concrete. Hence, I know any story where I have written Sam/Jack in it post S8 even if all other aspects of it might be considered canon, it could be rendered AU at any given moment (although unlikely given recent comments by TPTB and the cut Trio scene). And which is why I've oscillated in my post S8 fics between having them married (and when they got married) or just being together, etc.
              Oh, I've got the same problem (as do all of us who write post S8). But at the end of the day, I think we're writing at a specific time and place in the series and for the audience at that time and place, so even if they do go AU eventually... *shrugs* They ain't now lol.

What truly amazes me, really, is how long "we've" gotten away with it. As in, canon hasn't done anything to contradict us. When I wrote Once Upon a Time (my Continuum long story) I was *certain* it was going AU right away because of the kid... And I only wrote it after much internal debate... and it still hasn't gone AU. They're just being *so* vague. I once had someone comment that they wish my fic 'history' had actually happened and I responded, "Prove it hasn't..." and they couldn't

But.

Yeah.

Any minute. Or episode/storyline/etc. Though the way things have gone, I could see us getting confirmation so vague on the details much post S8 fic still wouldn't be AU

Though I had a Sanctuary one turn suddenly AU I wasn't expecting, so it can happen anytime for any reason. That's just part of trying to write Fanfic - even 'in canon' is only canon at a specific time, there's no assurance it will remain canon forever.

And, new topic, I thought of a gift for the thread for Shipmas. If it comes off...

Comment

Also apocofifcs are sometimes very cool to read for the same reason as the baby fics; we would never get them in the series...
                May I ask what is that?
                "Are you like, a crazy person?"
                "I am quite sure they will say so."

Comment

Originally posted by es! View Post
                  May I ask what is that?
                  Everything goes terribly, terribly wrong. End of the Universe type stuff. As in, the destruction of the Universe... not it's outer limit.

Hmmm...

Outer limits.

That seems like an awfully good way to celebrate...

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
                    Everything goes terribly, terribly wrong. End of the Universe type stuff. As in, the destruction of the Universe... not it's outer limit.

Hmmm...

Outer limits.

That seems like an awfully good way to celebrate...
                    Thank you for the explanation
                    "Are you like, a crazy person?"
                    "I am quite sure they will say so."

Comment

*happy dances because SG:U and Santuary got renewed*
                      I like to read fanfiction that is fun! (Yep, that is my only criteria )
                      Sometimes I do read stuff that's not fun but that's usually because I stumble unto it in here...
                      sigpic
                      Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

oh my goodness. I've been sitting around wondering why this thread was so dead lately, and never noticed we had a new one!!

Now I have tons of reading to do!! LOL!

Comment

*runz in*

Just dropping by to say

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SEAHEN!!

I wish I had runway angst to post for you. Well, maybe later.

*runz out*
                          sigpic

Comment

Re bolded: You know the world is mine...I'm not sharing.
                            Dang, too late

Originally posted by Regularamanda View Post
                            And gutter is good for.......Everything else?

this is too juicy to ignore. time for stupidy ahead...

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...t/PDVD_159.jpg

jack: ... i'm sorry, sam, i should have paced myself.

~later that day~
                            http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...t/PDVD_119.jpg

sam: yes, jack, you should have!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...t/PDVD_166.jpg

jack: i'm sorry, honey...

~next day~
                            http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...t/PDVD_163.jpg

~later, same day~
                            http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...t/PDVD_179.jpg

sam: ... jack, you did it again...

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...t/PDVD_147.jpg

sam: PACE. YOUR. SELF

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...t/PDVD_148.jpg

jack: i'm trying, really...

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...t/PDVD_153.jpg

janet: again!?

jack: it's not my fault she's so hot!

*squees *

i've seen that, where an author wants to do a certain idea so badly that they go ahead and do it, but twist the characters to fit the idea.

like how they slipped vala into the sgc and sg1... i never felt vala was out of character, it was everyone else putting up with it that was! to me at least.

(try to imagine jack putting up with her shenanigans... )

that went somewhere i didn't mean it to go.

i was going to say that one time i read a fic where someone had sam with an eating disorder... i felt the author had the disorder, and wanted to work through her issues by having sam have it to, but 'distorted' sam to make it work. i had to quit the fic. i just wasn't 'seeing' sam in there anymore.

but i still enjoy going places in fics that aren't always comfortable for the characters or the readers. it all depends for me 'how' it's done. i can pretty much read anything.

(except sam dying fics... )
                            I love angst as much as the next person......But I draw the line at one of them dying
                            sigpic

Comment

OWW! What's with the abuse today?

And actually I have one half written on my laptop....

*runs from Sally*

It's whack Amanda day

Evil Jenn! EVVVVILLL!!!

*hugs B* See! That's what I want to know. I don't understand...

Speaking of fluff...a new fic by me...it'll be 12 things that Jack gave Sam while she was on Atlantis and I'll be posting a chapter a day between now and Christmas.

The Heart Longs for Home

Are you sure it's fluff, cause everyone is saying it's angst I'll read it laterz

Yeah Twilight! Making me think it was all fluffy... *crosses arms, pouts and glares*

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/v...distraught.jpg
                              Ooh nice angsty pic

*glares at Jenn and Twilight* These were supposed to be fluffy...but this next one is a little bit angstier...how'd that happen?

Who took my fluff pipe?!
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
                                ROTFL!! Seriously. LOL.

Hmmm...Canon vs AU.
                                Spoiler:

Do I like AU? I know nobody's asked, but I've been reading your discussions and thought I'd chime in.

Hmmm. If, and I say *if* the story is plausible and well-written, I can really get into an AU (if, by AU, you mean that Sam and Jack get together...fishing and all...and carry on at the SGC - or wherever) fic.

Why? Because we authors can only write so much within the narrow confines of the established (ie, aired) canon. Can we, as do the writers of the novels, expand on that universe and still remain in canon? Sure. Will it be S/J? Nope.

But *Pol raises an index finger,* I sometimes just feel the need for some flippin' resolution! I can see UST for 10 years (okay, really 8.5) on television/dvd/hulu, etc... and in the novels. Sometimes I want my Sam and Jack to be S/J. Sometimes I *need* them to be S/J, with confirmed fishing and all that entails.

I do get a bit frustrated with non-canon stories that are in canon right up to the last page or so and then...WHAMMO! Fishing! There are few really well written fics that tackle the S/J dynamic and balance it with SGC and/or apocafic stuff without going GROSSLY OOC. And I'm talkin' *G-R-O-S-S-L-Y* OOC. :::shudder:::

So...like I said. I *know* (as in, I lived it people, I know damned well what the regs say, what I, as an officer could and could not do, yada, yada) what couldn't really happen in the show - the rules were against them. (I also know of two perfectly good exceptions to the regs with whom I served, but that's another tale.) I also know that I enjoy a tale well told and that if it veers into the land of AU/non-canon, then so be it.

In fact, I'll be loading said good, long, well-written and mostly non-canon stories (by that I mean S/J, as opposed to non-canon meaning grossly ooc) onto my new e-Reader...if Santa got my note.

If not, I'll be loading them on the ol' PDA once again.

I don't know about JennF, or Rachel and her Aftershocks, as I have yet to treat myself to them, but I know that I really have a hard time staying in canon (ie, keeping the kissing/touching/long looks to a minimum, especially after a particularly powerful episode) when writing my Campfires because...damn, but Amanda and Rick have chemistry!
                                Pol, you crack me up. When you raise that finger I totally saw it in my head and you did it just like Thor. So... great Thor imitation... in my head. :: thumbs up ::

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
                                *happy dances onto the Thread* (SGU and Sanctuary both got renewed - I'll be all week...)
                                Me too! Gives me another chance to try to watch Sanctuary (which I probably will since it airs right after SGU LOL)

Comment

Working...
                                X