No announcement yet.

Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sittting here with a foggy head from yet another blasted cold plus the goofy cold meds and reading all the posts about anti-shippers and confirmation and canon. Next thing I know the day is done and I've drifted way far down memory lane. So I figure what the heck, I'll drag you all along with me.

How I Learned to Be a Shipper
    (Spoilered for the sake of those who'd rather not tag along)
    (Warning to those about to click the button... it's kind of a really long post)
    Spoiler:

I didn't notice what was going on between Sam and Jack in the beginning. I didn't even think much of them kissing in The Broca Divide. I was more impressed with Teal'c slamming that guy's head down on the briefing table (LMAO! “General, I prefer to not hurt this man.”) and the Daniel-pummelfest. It took Solitudes for me to see something. After that I looked forward to snuggling up with hubby to watch the new episode and experience the cuteness between Sam and Jack. I didn't have anyone other than him to talk to about it. There were others in our extended family who watched the show but they were only interested in the scifi aspect. Pshaw! How boring!

I'd never gotten onboard any ship before this one nor have I seen anything since that can compare. Heck, I didn't even know what “ship” was until I found Gateworld. I think it's because Stargate is the first dramatic show I started watching from its beginning.

Another thing different for me is this place. I'd been introduced to Delphi forum through another friend and one day (it was either right before season 6 or just at the beginning) I searched Delphi for some specific Stargate reason which I can't remember anymore. Gateworld Forum over there came up and I was intrigued by the discussions about Sam and Jack. How exciting to find other people who felt there was “something!” I lurked there until Gateworld.net was brought online and continued lurking for quite awhile, I think about a year, before getting enough nerve to sign up and start posting.

Slowly watching the show, see an episode then wait a week before seeing another, and discovering Gateworld and spoilers (up until Heroes I gobbled up spoilers) and the let down when they didn't play out as hoped. Oh! And the constant “This is the final season” gossip and the glee about that because surely Sam and Jack would finally be brought together and the agony when another season was announced because that meant no resolution. Holy Cow! I've never experienced anything like this before!

Then there was the Pro- vs. Anti-Shipper war and its huge impact on me.

First, I learned about the anti-shipper (hereafter referred to as “anti” for easier reading {and typing}): There are two forms of antis; the noromo and (because I don't know what else to call it) the I-just-don't-see-it (hereafter referred to as for easier reading {and because they have to be “psycho” for not seeing it}( all in good fun Mods, good good fun)). A noromo does acknowledge the ship but opposes and is offended by its existence. The simply refuses to does not see the ship at all. Not the “Something we both can't admit...” Not the “I care about her a lot more...” Not even the kissy-face stuff. Nope. Absolutely blind to any of it.
    /lesson

A noromo usually didn't attack pro-shippers (hereafter referred to as “pro”). Instead they attacked the PTB with protests against even the slightest hint of ship. Pros and s attacked each other directly. Mods were involved daily, deleting posts, scolding or even banning members, repeatedly reminding us of the rules and sometimes even getting sucked into the battle. Mods modding mods!

To what effect, if any, did this have on the PTB? Each group had its opinion about that and these opinions also sparked many “mine's bigger” feuds. My goodness did we ever keep the Mods busy! Looking back now it's even rather humorous, the things we did, like attempting to build up our army by trying to recruit slashers or venting our wrath at The SciFi Channel because the ship had been so warm and fuzzy until the show got moved to SciFi. What's that? Season 5 was too shippy! Here, try looking at it through my glasses. Excuse me? No, I don't want to hear about the ratings going up after the move to SciFi. Lalalala! Don't try to change my mind.

Defend and blame for victory's sake. Don't yield or we'll lose. Life here turned very ugly resulting in many casualties. Some members are gone forever and I miss them heaps. Others, myself included, stayed away until the wounds healed and every once in awhile lurked in the shadows to see if it was safe to come back. When I did finally come back I didn't recognize most of the folks and I didn't know how to act. Gun-shy? Very. Still am. But its easing off.

I've thought about whether I'd feel differently if I was only now, or maybe a year ago, just discovering Sam and Jack. Yes I would. I think if I'd only just discovered the show and had watched the whole 10 seasons crammed into a couple of months I wouldn't have seen everything I saw by watching an episode and then taking a week to think about it and rewatch it another time or two. That leaves a deeper impression. For me at least. And I think it's what makes me need real confirmation and I need to see it onscreen and it needs to be clear and precise. And, dammit, have at least one of them say “love” okay?

Tumultuous as they became, I wouldn't give back any bit of those 10 years learning how to be a shipper.

Episode titles and the ship. Since “Solitudes” was my shipper wakeup call I'll do that.
    Solitude:
    1. the state of being solitary
    2. a lonely or secluded place
    I see this episode as the way of letting us know exactly what path Sam's and Jack's relationship would take. We weren't going to see very much and, what we do see will mostly be heartbreakingly one-sided.

So did it play out that way? Well, out of 214 episodes (or 174 if you don't count seasons 9 and 10, or even 212/172 if, like me, you don't count Moebius) we see Sam and Jack approach each other about it twice (Divide and Conquer, Affinity). A few other times they try but quickly chicken out (Point of View, Beneath the Surface) or get interrupted (Lost City and Threads). The rest of the time they struggle with their feelings in silence. That works out to 97% of the time there was either no ship or silent struggling. And no, I'm not forgetting the handful of episodes where they openly flirt with each other (i.e., the fishing invitations). Flirting, by definition, doesn't count.

Comment

Is it sad that I happen across the Simpsons and my first thought is "Jack would be watching this and Sam would be snuggled up with him" :: headdesk :: I'm hopeless.

Comment

Originally posted by UhSir View Post
        I'm sittting here with a foggy head from yet another blasted cold plus the goofy cold meds and reading all the posts about anti-shippers and confirmation and canon. Next thing I know the day is done and I've drifted way far down memory lane. So I figure what the heck, I'll drag you all along with me.

Spoiler:

I didn't notice what was going on between Sam and Jack in the beginning. I didn't even think much of them kissing in The Broca Divide. I was more impressed with Teal'c slamming that guy's head down on the briefing table (LMAO! “General, I prefer to not hurt this man.”) and the Daniel-pummelfest. It took Solitudes for me to see something. After that I looked forward to snuggling up with hubby to watch the new episode and experience the cuteness between Sam and Jack. I didn't have anyone other than him to talk to about it. There were others in our extended family who watched the show but they were only interested in the scifi aspect. Pshaw! How boring!

I'd never gotten onboard any ship before this one nor have I seen anything since that can compare. Heck, I didn't even know what “ship” was until I found Gateworld. I think it's because Stargate is the first dramatic show I started watching from its beginning.

Another thing different for me is this place. I'd been introduced to Delphi forum through another friend and one day (it was either right before season 6 or just at the beginning) I searched Delphi for some specific Stargate reason which I can't remember anymore. Gateworld Forum over there came up and I was intrigued by the discussions about Sam and Jack. How exciting to find other people who felt there was “something!” I lurked there until Gateworld.net was brought online and continued lurking for quite awhile, I think about a year, before getting enough nerve to sign up and start posting.

Slowly watching the show, see an episode then wait a week before seeing another, and discovering Gateworld and spoilers (up until Heroes I gobbled up spoilers) and the let down when they didn't play out as hoped. Oh! And the constant “This is the final season” gossip and the glee about that because surely Sam and Jack would finally be brought together and the agony when another season was announced because that meant no resolution. Holy Cow! I've never experienced anything like this before!

Then there was the Pro- vs. Anti-Shipper war and its huge impact on me.

First, I learned about the anti-shipper (hereafter referred to as “anti” for easier reading {and typing}): There are two forms of antis; the noromo and (because I don't know what else to call it) the I-just-don't-see-it (hereafter referred to as for easier reading {and because they have to be “psycho” for not seeing it}( all in good fun Mods, good good fun)). A noromo does acknowledge the ship but opposes and is offended by its existence. The simply refuses to does not see the ship at all. Not the “Something we both can't admit...” Not the “I care about her a lot more...” Not even the kissy-face stuff. Nope. Absolutely blind to any of it.
        /lesson

A noromo usually didn't attack pro-shippers (hereafter referred to as “pro”). Instead they attacked the PTB with protests against even the slightest hint of ship. Pros and s attacked each other directly. Mods were involved daily, deleting posts, scolding or even banning members, repeatedly reminding us of the rules and sometimes even getting sucked into the battle. Mods modding mods!

To what effect, if any, did this have on the PTB? Each group had its opinion about that and these opinions also sparked many “mine's bigger” feuds. My goodness did we ever keep the Mods busy! Looking back now it's even rather humorous, the things we did, like attempting to build up our army by trying to recruit slashers or venting our wrath at The SciFi Channel because the ship had been so warm and fuzzy until the show got moved to SciFi. What's that? Season 5 was too shippy! Here, try looking at it through my glasses. Excuse me? No, I don't want to hear about the ratings going up after the move to SciFi. Lalalala! Don't try to change my mind.

Defend and blame for victory's sake. Don't yield or we'll lose. Life here turned very ugly resulting in many casualties. Some members are gone forever and I miss them heaps. Others, myself included, stayed away until the wounds healed and every once in awhile lurked in the shadows to see if it was safe to come back. When I did finally come back I didn't recognize most of the folks and I didn't know how to act. Gun-shy? Very. Still am. But its easing off.

I've thought about whether I'd feel differently if I was only now, or maybe a year ago, just discovering Sam and Jack. Yes I would. I think if I'd only just discovered the show and had watched the whole 10 seasons crammed into a couple of months I wouldn't have seen everything I saw by watching an episode and then taking a week to think about it and rewatch it another time or two. That leaves a deeper impression. For me at least. And I think it's what makes me need real confirmation and I need to see it onscreen and it needs to be clear and precise. And, dammit, have at least one of them say “love” okay?

Tumultuous as they became, I wouldn't give back any bit of those 10 years learning how to be a shipper.

Episode titles and the ship. Since “Solitudes” was my shipper wakeup call I'll do that.
        Solitude:
        1. the state of being solitary
        2. a lonely or secluded place
        I see this episode as the way of letting us know exactly what path Sam's and Jack's relationship would take. We weren't going to see very much and, what we do see will mostly be heartbreakingly one-sided.

So did it play out that way? Well, out of 214 episodes (or 174 if you don't count seasons 9 and 10, or even 212/172 if, like me, you don't count Moebius) we see Sam and Jack approach each other about it twice (Divide and Conquer, Affinity). A few other times they try but quickly chicken out (Point of View, Beneath the Surface) or get interrupted (Lost City and Threads). The rest of the time they struggle with their feelings in silence. That works out to 97% of the time there was either no ship or silent struggling. And no, I'm not forgetting the handful of episodes where they openly flirt with each other (i.e., the fishing invitations). Flirting, by definition, doesn't count.
        *applauds*

i feel like a shipwar vet myself!

but no matter how old or new you are, if you love sam and jack, you're part of the family!!

(((shippers old and new)))
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
          *applauds*

i feel like a shipwar vet myself!

but no matter how old or new you are, if you love sam and jack, you're part of the family!!

(((shippers old and new)))
          Ahh you are making me feel so warm and fuzzy *squishy huggles*
          sigpic
          Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

here's what i just said to a friend on yahoo messenger...

i'll tell you... and this is from my entire heart... if the 3rd movie showed sam and jack kiss, *like from 'grace'*, that would absolutely make me the happiest shipper ever! THAT would be the proof, and THAT kind of passion and love would be all i'd need and ever wanted!

^^ that's what i want.
            sally

sigpic

Comment

i'll tell you... and this is from my entire heart... if the 3rd movie showed sam and jack kiss, *like from 'grace'*, that would absolutely make me the happiest shipper ever! THAT would be the proof, and THAT kind of passion and love would be all i'd need and ever wanted!

^^ that's what i want.
              Me too! That's the kiss I want to see.

Comment

Ficlette rec: Not Beautiful. And, you know, angst

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
                  Ficlette rec: Not Beautiful. And, you know, angst
                  Ooo... The last sentence wrapped it up nicely.

Comment

^^ that's what i want.
                    I like your thoughts. Really. And I have to agree with you.
                    Their kiss would be such a kind of nice and satisfying end of the entire TV show.

Btw, I am a shipper for 10 years. I can´t believe to myslef that I endured so long time. But how my signature said before - StarGate never gets old . It obtains for Sam / Jack ship too. I am proud to be a shipper.
                    Sammie
                    Willen, Teslen and totally addicted to Helen Magnus! Amanda's fan.
                    / Twitter / FanFiction / CZ Blog /

Comment

<snip>
                      Spoiler:

<more snippage>

<snip>
                      I always find it very interesting to read what brought people to the Ship and how they became a Sam/Jack shipper.

My own story is a pretty solitary one because I wasn't part of the online fandom until after S9.

So, while I watched Stargate from the beginning of its airing, the only other person I spoke to about it was my bf who while she saw the ship and enjoys it, isn't a shipper per se.

My journey...
                      Spoiler:

I saw the ship in COTG, and wondered if they were going to do anything with it. Very surprised that they went *there* so early with Broca Divide; loved the engagement reveal of TBFTGOG.

After that, S2 pretty much went the way I thought it would go with them bringing in another romantic interest with Martouf (after all, can't have the main ship pairing getting together straight away).

I thoroughly enjoyed S3 with POV but I winced at A Hundred Days because I thought they were setting it up to be only her being unrequited for him.

Loved S4. Couldn't believe in D&C that they actually went as far as they did.

Hated S5 with the exception of Desperate Measures. It seemed to me that they were trying to pretend that they hadn't written S4.

I enjoyed S6. I never really had an issue with Daniel leaving. Enjoyed Jonas. Loved Paradise Lost and Metamorphosis and enjoyed the Nemesis call-back in Full Circle with the tease of the wedding invite.

Enjoyed S7 all the way up to Chimera. Almost yelled at my TV when they did the Grace kiss because I was completely unspoiled. Chimera I watched with complete bemusement because I had thought Grace was Sam telling herself to be with Jack (I still think she does). But liked the end of S7 where it went very shippy (despite the hint in Resurrection that Pete was still around) with DK, hints in Heroes, Lost City.

With S8, completely dumbfounded when Pete appeared in New Order given Sam's insistence on going after Jack and the events of Lost City. Completely. Like open-mouthed at the TV screen. Hated Affinity. Suffered through the rest of the season until Threads. And I think my one comment at the end was 'aw, why couldn't they have had a kiss?'

Didn't really like Moebius when I watched it the first time, and althought I enjoyed the other Sam/Jack, I wanted mine back. Got to the end and thought 'maybe they're going to kiss *this* time - but....no'. I was really disappointed but actually more furious that given the time-travel set-up of Moebius it seemed like they had in one storyline simply killed the SG1 we had been watching for the last 8 years in Ancient Egypt.

Still, I did think with RDA leaving, that Sam/Jack would be played mostly off-screen. Enjoyed the early hints of 'personal reasons' and 'not exactly' Sam said but as the season wore on, I couldn't understand why there wasn't just an unambiguous nod to them being together. I muttered under my breath and continued to watch; after Ripple Effect I almost walked away from the show because they had come close to ruining the ambiguity with the almost-kiss between Martouf and Sam - and seriously hated the tease - they couldn't have just come out and said that she was with Jack in one of the universes? I stopped watching first airing; usually caught it on the repeat. Didn't like S9 and figured they should have just ended it with S8 and fishing. And thought that it's for SG1 for me. Started writing A Pond With No Fish (which effectively is an AU S9).

Rewatched all of SG1 for my fanfic bible including S9 to get the character arcs down, the voices embedded in my head. Saw the progression of the ship much clearer. And didn't hate S5 or Moebius or S9 as much (and actually really enjoyed some of the later S9 episodes like Ethon). Completed and posted A Pond With No Fish.

Got invited here by Oma.

Toddled into online Stargate fandom and shipdom...and I've been here ever since.

I really thought they would do something explicit in S10 with RDA returning...but, no and I admit I was disappointed. I enjoyed the ship we got in S10 but at the end of SG1 reconciled myself that I shouldn't expect anything more.

So, I haven't expected anything in any of the movies (and don't expect anything in movie #3 either despite BW's early statement of writing a romantic scene) or SGA or SGU. As a result I haven't had to deal with disappointment and what I have got in return is an enjoyment of what shippy hints/Sam&Jack interaction there have been. I've mellowed as a result I think because now I'm *content* with what we've been given to date.

However, for the future, I'm still after the non-ambiguous happy ending to the storyline just so I can have the cherry on the top of the cake and be completely happy. So while I don't expect anything in movie #3, it would be nice if it were there.

Day of Indulgence OT
                      Spoiler:

You can sign up for Day of Indulgence (25th Feb) here. I'm assuming specific posting instructions will go up nearer the time.
                      Last edited by Rachel500; 05 January 2010, 03:27 AM.
                      sigpic
                      Women of the Gate LJ Community.
                      My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

<snipped for space?

Beautiful post... oh! I too love seeing the way others come into the ship (thanks too, Rachel, for sharing.). I have to say your "shipper wars" and those noromos and I-just-don't-see-its do sound an awful lot like the X Files noromos and I-just-don't-see-its. Sometimes they were harsh and things were frequently horrible. I Admin'd on a XF forum back then so I did a lot of moderating and, gosh yes, as a shipper I waded in with my Doc Marten's on kicking and screaming too... but then so did my noromo fellow Admin but we were a small forum, mostly full of self depreciating Brits (plus a token Canadian) being silly and childish so we took it all in good humour - the folks over at the Haven forums though... oh my! One day half the board up and left because of some dispute. The Great Haven Schism is still whispered about in dark corners of the internet.
                        Oh and X Files had the added distraction that you had GANuts and DDrabids and, heaven help you if you happened to like them both equally; that's just not allowed. Hmm, we do get some of that in Stargate fandom with various other characters/actors but actually not much with RDA and AT; people tend to like both of them equally even if they are not especially keen on the character and I think a lot of that is because they are both, in real life, genuinely nice people who are obviously good friends too. It really does help to make, not only on screen chemistry work, but contributes to fandom harmony too.

Anyway, I watched Stargate from the very first episode. Didn't like it much to start with - the attraction of RDA being in it aside - but stuck with it, grew to love it and started really seeing that zing, probably by Out Of Mind and I enjoyed the ship immensely. But, I think, simply because of previous fandom experiences, I never let myself get drawn into it online. I never even joined a Stargate forum until about 2005 and, frankly, as great as it was, the anti-ship sentiments of certain mods there precluded there ever being a large shipping community, much less a thread like this. That was fine by me then, but once I started wanting resolution and needing to be silly and squeey from time to time, I found somewhere else. I'd lurked here for a long time anyway; just never plucked up the courage to post.

So yeah, this place - the Ship Family thread... oh I know we had to drop the name family but, to me, it is still a big old happy family. Mostly anyway; we have the odd disagreement just like real families do but, at the end of the day, it was love that brought us all together and love which keeps us coming here over and over. And, when all is said and done, love and friendship, and generally being nice to each other is all that really matters.

*Big squishy huggles for Ship Family*

SAM/JACK BIG HONKIN' KISS FOR MOVIE 3!!!

i just had to get that out of my system. again.

silly ot -

Spoiler:
                        i saw a thread for buffy the vampire slayer, but i skimmed it and then thought about it... as 'vappy, the sunflower killer'... i'm not doing real well with reading today, as cags can tell you.

*cough* Umm, yes... indeed.

Would it kill you with laughter if I told you Buffy / Spike shippers were called Spuffys? Try saying that after a few.

^^ that's what i want.

Oh yes. A Grace style open mouthed passion fueled kiss just... real. No alternate realities, fantasies, viruses or time loops. Just them being in love and showin it. That would be nice. Very nice.
                        Last edited by Cagranosalis; 05 January 2010, 02:01 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
                          Oh yes. A Grace style open mouthed passion fueled kiss just... real. No alternate realities, fantasies, viruses or time loops. Just them being in love and showin it. That would be nice. Very nice.
                          I would love to see that...and faint afterwards!

I loved reading all the "how I came into fandom stories"

Also I think if I would start to get interested in SG now, I don't think I would have been such a devoted shipper or SG fan as I am now...I think because of the hope we had in the earlier seasons(While they were still airing) and hoping every episode for confirmation made me so devoted...if I would have watched this all at once I don't think it would have been the same.

Anyhow...my story...which is, I think, kinda boring:
                          Spoiler:
                          On a dark and stormy night I turned on the TV for my weekly ST:enterprise episode but found out there was this weird show, Stargate SG1 on before it. I watched it before my normal show and realized it looked vaguely familiar. A family member came in, saw it, and said we used to hire the VCRs every few weeks to watch the "new" episodes. We stopped after a while(which later was S2). I used to watch along with some episodes(I especially remember Singularity).
                          This story got me interested in the series and I started watching it before my weekly ST fix. In the end I got so addicted to this SG show that I stopped watching ST and only watched SG. We got into S4 at the time and during WoO I asked myself if that Sam and Jack persons would be together or not.(I always knew we were behind in here).
                          So I went on the internet, which I *just* got on my room and normally only used for my addiction Charmed. I searched for an episode guide and came on the GW episode guide. Looking there I was they were at S7, something about a Lost City. Since I had no clue in what season I was I searched in S6 as well(we couldn't be more than 2 seasons behind right? They said *new* episodes on our TV). I couldn't find it and temporarily lost my interest in the online fandom but for some weird reason bookmarked the site. Future reference or so.
                          Later on a bored afternoon I went to this site again and thought "what the heck" lets look again. There I found out that S/J kissed in later seasons too(S8; Moebius), this made me optimistic and start to download the newer episodes, while still watching the older episodes on TV.
                          I watched the beginning of S9, but never downloaded the openings episodes Avalon and was confused. I sneakily went to the forum to lurk and accidentally clicked on a fic link. Which was amazing! I got addicted to the world of fanfiction(seeing as I didn't got any romance on my TV) and sometimes still checked that thread for new fics! ( I mean the rec there was amazing).
                          Slowly my interested developed and since my other show, Charmed, ended I subconciously looked for another show...I found SG for that...
                          I joined the forum after lurking for 6 months(on and off) and knowing about GW for 2 years( I think...start/middle S8 and saw the forum at the beginning of S9) ...so that's all 2005 and 2006)
                          Well I joined but quickly after that went on summer vacation and only went back on the site during it for a so called "shipday" which seemed fun, but I was too shy to really post. I mean all these people were so familiar with each other...and I was...new.
                          My friend, who went with me on vacation asked me about her, and for a while I got her addicted as well( I think she still owns a few seasons of the show)
                          Any way...after the summer I started school, and slowly went on the forum and found out that these people didn't mind that my English was beyond rubbish but actually were nice and helped me*huggles S/J thread members*. I sometimes went out to other threads but always came back here.
                          Then there was a GW breakdown and it would take 2/3/4 days to get fixed. I got an email from Replicartertje(Eve) asking me to join YIM. She explained me everything and I joined. I got a scooter accident during those few days as well and broke some bones on my right hand...still they were nice to me and supportive.
                          I was often on YIM and after that breakdown I stayed on GW and YIM at the same time. It was awesome!
                          After that I never left!
                          Of course after I joined we started with EotW, the pilars of the ship wars, Pete/Kerry wars, Shippy Hippies, the starting Martin Wood love and some other funny stuff too, but these pop out now...

That's my boring story!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by starlover View Post
                            I would love to see that...and faint afterwards!

I loved reading all the "how I came into fandom stories"

Also I think if I would start to get interested in SG now, I don't think I would have been such a devoted shipper or SG fan as I am now...I think because of the hope we had in the earlier seasons(While they were still airing) and hoping every episode for confirmation made me so devoted...if I would have watched this all at once I don't think it would have been the same.

Anyhow...my story...which is, I think, kinda boring:
                            Spoiler:
                            On a dark and stormy night I turned on the TV for my weekly ST:enterprise episode but found out there was this weird show, Stargate SG1 on before it. I watched it before my normal show and realized it looked vaguely familiar. A family member came in, saw it, and said we used to hire the VCRs every few weeks to watch the "new" episodes. We stopped after a while(which later was S2). I used to watch along with some episodes(I especially remember Singularity).
                            This story got me interested in the series and I started watching it before my weekly ST fix. In the end I got so addicted to this SG show that I stopped watching ST and only watched SG. We got into S4 at the time and during WoO I asked myself if that Sam and Jack persons would be together or not.(I always knew we were behind in here).
                            So I went on the internet, which I *just* got on my room and normally only used for my addiction Charmed. I searched for an episode guide and came on the GW episode guide. Looking there I was they were at S7, something about a Lost City. Since I had no clue in what season I was I searched in S6 as well(we couldn't be more than 2 seasons behind right? They said *new* episodes on our TV). I couldn't find it and temporarily lost my interest in the online fandom but for some weird reason bookmarked the site. Future reference or so.
                            Later on a bored afternoon I went to this site again and thought "what the heck" lets look again. There I found out that S/J kissed in later seasons too(S8; Moebius), this made me optimistic and start to download the newer episodes, while still watching the older episodes on TV.
                            I watched the beginning of S9, but never downloaded the openings episodes Avalon and was confused. I sneakily went to the forum to lurk and accidentally clicked on a fic link. Which was amazing! I got addicted to the world of fanfiction(seeing as I didn't got any romance on my TV) and sometimes still checked that thread for new fics! ( I mean the rec there was amazing).
                            Slowly my interested developed and since my other show, Charmed, ended I subconciously looked for another show...I found SG for that...
                            I joined the forum after lurking for 6 months(on and off) and knowing about GW for 2 years( I think...start/middle S8 and saw the forum at the beginning of S9) ...so that's all 2005 and 2006)
                            Well I joined but quickly after that went on summer vacation and only went back on the site during it for a so called "shipday" which seemed fun, but I was too shy to really post. I mean all these people were so familiar with each other...and I was...new.
                            My friend, who went with me on vacation asked me about her, and for a while I got her addicted as well( I think she still owns a few seasons of the show)
                            Any way...after the summer I started school, and slowly went on the forum and found out that these people didn't mind that my English was beyond rubbish but actually were nice and helped me*huggles S/J thread members*. I sometimes went out to other threads but always came back here.
                            Then there was a GW breakdown and it would take 2/3/4 days to get fixed. I got an email from Replicartertje(Eve) asking me to join YIM. She explained me everything and I joined. I got a scooter accident during those few days as well and broke some bones on my right hand...still they were nice to me and supportive.
                            I was often on YIM and after that breakdown I stayed on GW and YIM at the same time. It was awesome!
                            After that I never left!
                            Of course after I joined we started with EotW, the pilars of the ship wars, Pete/Kerry wars, Shippy Hippies, the starting Martin Wood love and some other funny stuff too, but these pop out now...

That's my boring story!
                            How do y'all remember all this stuff. I mean y'all have these detailed stories. If you boil it down its all my hubbys fault for getting me addicted to SG and its also his fault for mentioning GW. He didn't know that would lead to me finding the shipper thread where the first time I came I was so shy that I posted once (Sept 2005 ish) and then didn't post again for months (Jan 2006) and for some reason Jann PMed me to join the YIM talks. Oh man those talks were fun. So many shippers in one of the big YIM conversations that there were really multiple conversations going on. 1 that was ship related and about 5 million other ones that ranged from kids, school, hair, food, you get the idea.
                            I'm glad I got sucked in its fun being a shipper....even if hubby makes fun of me sometimes for it
                            Last edited by cess525; 06 January 2010, 04:03 AM.
                            sigpic
                            GO NEWMAN! 31!

Comment

Well let me tell you my shipper story :: jumps on the story background ::

Spoiler:

:: wavy hands wavy hands :: OooooOOOOoooOOOOOoo :: wavy hands wavy hands :: Begin Flashback:

I went through a movie watching craze in college where I was renting a bazillion movies and watching them and Stargate THE MOVIE :: insert lightening and booming music :: I found it less then memorable and didn't think about it again.

:: lots of people moving really really really really fast ::

Fast forward a couple years. A man meets a woman and they fall in love, then they come together and... oh wait wrong story. Boy meets girl. Boy moves statelines to be with said girl. Boy insists she watch this really awesome show called Stargate SG-1 and makes her sit through Stargate THE MOVIE :: cue lightening and music :: again and then she watches seasons 1-3. There's a wedding somewhere in there and when girl has time she rewatches or something like that, I don't remember (I worked a lot...)...

And she sees the chemistry between RDA/AT, BOY tells her that the show plays around with them liking each other which causes GIRL to raise eyebrow in a Teal'c like manner (although she did not realize it was Teal'c like at the time).

Girl reads episode recaps and then spends lots and lots of cash on DVDs, discovers forum, and lurks for a really long time before getting sucked back into fanfiction. And so...

For the first time since the heartbreak of J/C in Star Trek Voyager, the girl learned to love again. :: sniffles :: It's so beautiful. :: weeps ::

Oh and yeah she had a kid and did some stuff and had a life but that all seems so secondary doesn't it?

Comment

I think I've briefly given my story sometime in the past few days, but here it is all together: (beware of exploding posts)
                                Spoiler:
                                I watched Stargate after it went to Scifi from Showtime (didn't have Showtime) though my parents did and swore it was one of the best scif shows ever. Loved it almost immediately and was quickly caught up thorugh Scifi marathons to where they were in S5. *Saw* the Sam/Jack ship, but as with Crag, was so burned by previous ships as to have become completely and utterly cynical and calloused towards them. This is, btw, still true in general for me. I can enjoy individual moments between two characters (aw.. isn't that sweet) but remain unable to get vested in the outcomes because, with Very Few notable exceptions, TV ships tend to result in characters who act more like space aliens than real people (I mean.. how many REAL people have secret spouses wandering around out there they never mention to anybody? I mean.. really?) So I didn't really pay attention to the ship and sort of knew it was there but didn't really care because obviously it was never going to go anywhere anyway. If anything, I was a noromo simply because I was certain that, if they ever did pick up the 'ship', as it were, the end result must necessarily be a total destruction of the characters as anything remotely resembling the real human beings in extraordinary situations which had attracted me to the show in the first place.

I should mention I was also out of fandom during this time for reasons primarily involving things like falling in love and getting married and having babies and then toddlers and then more babies and still more toddlers followed by...

Anyway.

You get the idea.

Plus I somehow graduated from college and got commissioned and went from a butter bar to a Captain and out of the army and became a pharmaceutical rep in that period as well... So. No fandom. Not much sleep, really, either.

So like I said.. Anyway...

I was actually (throw potatoes) a bit glad when Sam started dating Pete, and really didn't pick up on the idea of him as stalker at all. I was just happy to see her happy, frankly. And... you know... not turn into the two-headed alien having them 'play' with her and Jack was certain to do...

Then we get to Threads. And I sort of grimaced along with the rest of the Noromos when I realized (being completely unspoilered) that they were going 'there' again blatantly and I hoped to *goodness* it didn't screw up the characters too badly.

Only... Something extraordinary happened.

I will never forget the moment when Sam - not because of Big Drama or Impending Doom or any of the other TV Tricks they teach at How To Write For Television School - sat in her car in front of Jack's house. And then she took a deep breath and went to go talk to him. But still, I'd been around the block a few times and when Kerry stepped out, I figured they were about to launch into Act Two of the Other Scenario (one of those aforementioned tricks taught at the aforementioned school) in which Ship Member A finally realizes she's dating the wrong person, only to discover Ship Member B has found someone else and it's now too late, which launches us into another round of long pining looks and jealousy on one side and frustrated attempts to stick square pegs in round holes on the other only this time in the opposite direction.

So that wasn't the *really* extraordinary thing.

The *really* extraordinary thing was Kerry. Because, for just about the first time I can recall, one of the nameless 'other' acted like... drumrole please... a Real Person. Which, in retrospect, shouldn't really have surprised me as Real People were what attracted me to the show in the first place. But at the time I was knocked off my feet. Especially when she had an actual honest conversation with one Jack O'Neill and... amazingly... he did the right and sensible thing which almost anyone *would* do and found Sam in the infirmary.

See, when I say I see resolution in Threads, I saw it the first time when not only was I not expecting it, but I didn't really even WANT it. Or at least, I didn't really care if it existed or not. I simply saw it unfold on screen. And was amazed. Because that sort of thing just doesn't happen on TV... the subtle and the beautiful, two people finding each other finally not because the world's going to end (impending doom came AFTER they found each other) but because they loved each other and wanted each other and both realized it.

It was...

Amazing.

And John saw it too, cause after we watched the last few minutes in silence and they were fishing together on the pier, he turned to me and said, "Wow! I can't believe they did *that* on TV" He wasn't simply talking about 'the fishing' (and from both their demeanors we both knew they'd been 'fishing' even though we didn't even know there was a double meaning to the term at that point) We were talking about the subtlety and lack of drama.

It was actually, though, the next season when Sam showed up with a Big Smile on her face after Jack had ridden off into the proverbial sunset more-or-less that I really fell in love with the relationship. Because I *saw* Sam-with-Jack in the changes in her character. And it was so amazingly subtle and natural - just the result of a woman finally being happy in her personal life after years of not being so. I was... Can I say amazed again? Cause I was.

That was when I went back and rewatched all the episodes from CotG, looking for the ship and finding it in a thousand little gestures and nuances I'd never really paid much attention to before. And in doing so, I discovered how closely tied in to Sam and Jack's characters 'the ship' really had been all along. Here were two amazingly - er, sorry, that word just came out -complex and nuanced characters who started the series with backstories and baggage (as characters do) and over the year's we'd actually seen them grow - on a TV Screen, FCOL! - in extremely natural and realistic ways both as individuals and towards each other until the point of Threads. And the ship was never ever a deviation or diversion from this growth, but was an essential and natural part of who each of them was as an individual as much as what they might become as a couple...

I was in love

And, really, that's how I became a shipper.

*Absolutely* backwards from the way nearly all of you did But there you go. The ship won me over with the absolute awesomeness of the cohesive whole of the story as I saw it and its and near uniqueness from anything I'd ever seen on TV.
                                Last edited by JenniferJF; 05 January 2010, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X