Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
    The beautiful and unique thing about Sam and Jack's relationship, IMHO, has been that it has been so natural and subtle. With a very few very short exceptions, it's all been done through gestures and looks. Even the significance of some of the most 'shippy' dialogue has been shippy primarily because of the way it was said and the looks exchanged during the saying, not because of the dialogue itself.

To suddenly have the thing be totally and utterly blatant and in your face would, IMHO again, be a complete contradiction of everything Sam and Jack are. Really. It's just never BEEN that sort of relationship. Would I love a BHK and a ring? Honestly - yes. But do I feel one is needed or that, after all that's happened, we deserve one? No, not really. I think the 'resolution' we've been given is exactly in keeping with the overall subtlety of the majority of the relationship. If I wanted something overt and obvious and in-your face I wouldn't be so fascinated by this relationship and these characters in the first place.

I know, 99% of shippers disagree with me. But that's just the way I feel about it :0

Told you I needed to apologize for my posts
    Well I'm obviously not in that 99% because I completely agree with that. Actually one of the biggest attractions of this ship, for me, was the way it made sense and evolved so naturally.
    Once upon a time - way back when season 4 to 7 were airing, I really didn't want to ever see them resolve it. I was actually quite happy shipping them knowing it could never be. Actually, the pressure was kind of off, IYKWIM, for me, because they could not be together due to regs etc. Really, my opnion on wanting them together only actually changed after Threads because, IMO, that's when they actually got together.
    I even love the fact they wrote that as ambigiously as they could so the shippers could see the blatently obvious but the anti-shippers could happily go "la la la, just fishing" (in the non guttery sense) and ignore the (to me) obvious.
    I think the short version of what I just rambled away at is that it's all about the subtext. This ship - the writers etc. came about as close as pleasing all the people all the time with this. Brad Wright absolutely meant it when he said "If you want them to be together, they are together". He was acknowledging that they can be but only if you want it. I firmly believe that's why, up until now, no overt hints have ever been shown that they are in a relationship. To me, as a shipper, after the events of the 8 years leading up to and including Threads, it makes absolutely no sense that they are not. But, y'know, if folks want to think not, I can't be wasting my breath trying to convert them.
    I don't know what movie #3 will bring but, frankly, TPTB really have nothing to lose now but so they might as well decide to show it or to deny it. The fact that even casual fans and non shippers (those who are not outright anti) are thinking it's about time leads me to hope they have gone with showing it. Besides all that, romance sells. Simple as.

Um, sorry, not sure where that ramble came from.

Last edited by Cagranosalis; 03 January 2010, 02:46 PM. Reason: because I was shipping away, not whipping away... bring a whole new context to the post, doesn't it?
    sigpic

Comment

See? Now there's a woman or man after my own heart. The power of Threads can not be underestimated.

So there, Bren
      Originally posted by BrenRen View Post

My favorite scene? BTW, my 'muse' and I have decided to go with your interpretation of the Air scene

This means I get to keep the monkey, too, right?
      Love and hot fudge,
      Bren Ren
      ~
      My stories!
      ~

sigpic

Comment

The beautiful and unique thing about Sam and Jack's relationship, IMHO, has been that it has been so natural and subtle. With a very few very short exceptions, it's all been done through gestures and looks. Even the significance of some of the most 'shippy' dialogue has been shippy primarily because of the way it was said and the looks exchanged during the saying, not because of the dialogue itself.

To suddenly have the thing be totally and utterly blatant and in your face would, IMHO again, be a complete contradiction of everything Sam and Jack are. Really. It's just never BEEN that sort of relationship. Would I love a BHK and a ring? Honestly - yes. But do I feel one is needed or that, after all that's happened, we deserve one? No, not really. I think the 'resolution' we've been given is exactly in keeping with the overall subtlety of the majority of the relationship. If I wanted something overt and obvious and in-your face I wouldn't be so fascinated by this relationship and these characters in the first place.

I know, 99% of shippers disagree with me. But that's just the way I feel about it :0

Told you I needed to apologize for my posts
        Originally posted by AstraPerAspera View Post
        *stands with the 1%*

Exactly. And if I could add anything to how eloquently you stated that, I would. But I can't. IMHO it's why the fascination with this ship endures, at least for me: because of its subtley, its depth and the delicate touch with which it's been written and portrayed. It's why, despite my best efforts, I can't seem to get away from it....and tbh...as much as I too would like to see a kiss (not even necessarily a bh one...) and a ring...I have this sense that when (not if ) I do...there will be a certain sadness associated with it. Because, after all, sometimes when we finally get what we want, its only then that we realize it's the journey, and not the destination that's mattered all along.
        I'll join you two and Cags - as long as the ship is not contradicted, I'm happy. YES I want the BHK and would squee to death at confirmation, but as far as I'm concerned, they're together. Period.

And congrats Jenn on 6000 posts. Moooovin' on up... mooovin' on up...

Comment

See? Now there's a woman or man after my own heart. The power of Threads can not be underestimated.

So there, Bren
          <Channeling my inner Sarah of Labyrinth>

You. Have. No. Power. Over. Me.

You underestimate the Power of the Dark Side. Give in to the Gutter. It is useless to resist.

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Or at the very least, you'll be drenched in Gutter Splashover!
          Love and hot fudge,
          Bren Ren
          ~
          My stories!
          ~

sigpic

Comment

Oh and yeah, before I forget for the gazillionth time

on your 6000th post Jen
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AstraPerAspera View Post
              *stands with the 1%*

Exactly. And if I could add anything to how eloquently you stated that, I would. But I can't. IMHO it's why the fascination with this ship endures, at least for me: because of its subtley, its depth and the delicate touch with which it's been written and portrayed. It's why, despite my best efforts, I can't seem to get away from it....and tbh...as much as I too would like to see a kiss (not even necessarily a bh one...) and a ring...I have this sense that when (not if ) I do...there will be a certain sadness associated with it. Because, after all, sometimes when we finally get what we want, its only then that we realize it's the journey, and not the destination that's mattered all along.
              Nooooooooooo!!! Don't say that. Don't even think like that!!!!

Fluffy.

Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy

Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy Fluffy

Comment

nooooooooo.............aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaangst all the way....It makes it so much more worth the while after going through hell to be together
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
                  I even love the fact they wrote that as ambigiously as they could so the shippers could see the blatently obvious but the anti-shippers could happily go "la la la, just fishing" (in the non guttery sense) and ignore the (to me) obvious.
                  I think the short version of what I just rambled away at is that it's all about the subtext. This ship - the writers etc. came about as close as pleasing all the people all the time with this. Brad Wright absolutely meant it when he said "If you want them to be together, they are together". He was acknowledging that they can be but only if you want it. I firmly believe that's why, up until now, no overt hints have ever been shown that they are in a relationship. To me, as a shipper, after the events of the 8 years leading up to and including Threads, it makes absolutely no sense that they are not. But, y'know, if folks want to think not, I can't be wasting my breath trying to convert them.
                  Well, I know I'm right

Seriously, though. That's one of the primary reasons I'm okay with what we've got. My enjoyment of the fact I believe they're together is uneffected by the fact others are still free to believe they're not. In fact, it's rather clever, really, of TPTB...

*ducks*

Still, at the end of the day, I really *do* believe they're meant to have been in love with each other for the last 10 years and that the changes we've seen to their characters and situations is because they're together now.

Honestly, seeing a BHK and ring isn't going to make me believe it more . It's just going to be nice to see lol And, ironically, even that doesn't mean they're really *together* forever, really... Such is life as a TV character

Comment

Sorry guys I go with the 99% crowd. Been around on this thread too long to give up. I want to see actual resolution on screen not read it in fanfic (which is nice) or image it. I want it written in a script and put on film which remain on the final DVD cut, as a real scene in the movie. I am an Aries
                    sigpic

Comment

I love the angst, really, it's my most favorite part of the whole ship. But I don't want it to be resolved in that way. Nope, for me, resolution needs to be in a happy way. As for the big honkin' kiss, well shoot! If we get it, I'm gonna love it, but I don't have to have it to be happy. Really. A little honkin' kiss will be enough.

Comment

You are sucking years of my life away with those gifs!! They're like that Zoo of Death machine in Princess Bride!

Yup, there went another fifteen minutes before I could bring myself to snip those IMG tags...

Love and hot fudge,
                        Bren Ren
                        ~
                        My stories!
                        ~

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by UhSir View Post
                          I love the angst, really, it's my most favorite part of the whole ship. But I don't want it to be resolved in that way. Nope, for me, resolution needs to be in a happy way. As for the big honkin' kiss, well shoot! If we get it, I'm gonna love it, but I don't have to have it to be happy. Really. A little honkin' kiss will be enough.
                          Ahh. You misunderstood. The sadness will be mine...not theirs. Because I've loved this story so much, to have it finally conclude...even if they do ride off into the proverbial sunset...will mean it's over. Sort of. So the sadness is on my part. As for Sam and Jack...I have no doubt but they'll live happily ever after....
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by UhSir View Post
                            Oh I too like a happy ending eventually....Well 8+ years is long enough dont'cha think

But I did like the angst they went through to get where they are now. Now I want the happy ending I think they both deserve after what they've been through the last few years.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by trupi View Post
                              Sorry guys I go with the 99% crowd. Been around on this thread too long to give up. I want to see actual resolution on screen not read it in fanfic (which is nice) or image it. I want it written in a script and put on film which remain on the final DVD cut, as a real scene in the movie. I am an Aries
                              And that may be the big difference. I wasn't a shipper when I watched S1-8 the first time. I *became* one because of the wonderfully subtle resolution I saw in Threads. And I really do believe that's what I saw in Threads - resolution. Even back when I wasn't looking for it and certainly didn't expect it. I'll never forget John and I looking at each other in amazement and saying, "I can't believe they let them get together.. on TV!"

Like I said, I know I'm in a minority.

Comment

Originally posted by BrenRen View Post
                                You are sucking years of my life away with those gifs!! They're like that Zoo of Death machine in Princess Bride!

Yup, there went another fifteen minutes before I could bring myself to snip those IMG tags...

rofl. They have that effect on me, too Glad to know I'm not alone.

Comment

Working...
                                X