X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
    Every so slightly OT on SGU:Air novelizations:
    Spoiler:

I'd actually had a transcript of that bit for some time and chosen not to share it...

But.. what you said. It's likely not even written by RCC and so is absolutely non reflective of 'reality' in the Stargate universe. That said, I did find it interesting based on two possibilities.

The first one is that it was made up by Swallow (the author) himself because he felt the scene was missing a moment when Jack (who on the surface, and most of those authors to include Swallow aren't really *fans* let alone paying close attention to Sam/Jack, appears to be nothing more than Sam's good friend) asks her how she's doing. Of course, given what we believe to be true (and have a large and growing body of evidence to support that belief), that they've actually been a couple in one way or the other for years, it makes sense he wouldn't ask - he sees her, *knows* she's okay, and doesn't even need to ask. They've actually reached a level of intimacy where that sort of 'small talk' is unnecessary. But not realizing that, Swallow adds it in because, without that missing key, it doesn't make sense that he doesn't ask. Similarly, he has Sam say 'sir' not even noticing she doesn't say it in the rest of the scene and, even if he had, he wouldn't have been aware of the significance of it in showing a greater intimacy between the two.

The second possibility is that it *was* in the original script but taken out during the filming. This idea also makes room for the idea that there were actually more 'sirs' in the original script which were also taken out during the filming because they didn't 'fit'. When Swallow kept in that last exchange he simply *didn't* take out the final 'sir'.

There are two possible reasons for this. The first is that someone somewhere in the process between script and screen realized it didn't fit with the backstory they'd been basing Sam and Jack on for years and so it was removed. The second is that, given Sam's looking straight at the screen and asking where the Icarus crew was ended the episode, that was considered a better dramatic beat to end Part One on and so the final exchange was removed. Either way, the last exchange doesn't match with the rest in which she doesn't say 'sir', which means someone possibly still went and removed the 'sirs' from the rest of the scene

And, anyway you look at it, 'old friend' is *definitely* added by Swallow himself as a way of avoiding saying "Colonel Carter" or "Sam" or "her" again in the writing process and is certainly insignificant in view of the status of 'the ship'

Like I said, I've seen this before and these comments are based in part on a convo I've had elsewhere with someone on this topic before...
    Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
    Air transcript:

Spoiler:
    So much has already been said but, yeah, I am in the camp of "sowhat". It was entirely the opinion of the author. If an author doesn't see ship they won't write it there. I think the Sir was perfectly ok in context of their working relationship. And she can still be his old friend and his lover.

Then again, I'm one of those who had never really cared much for the idea of SGU having anything at al to do with Sam/Jack ship, so to me none of it is really relevant.
    Air schtuff
    Spoiler:
    My rant was more tongue in cheek LOL Sort of a mock shipper outrage. Like Amanda I don't consider books canon (**insert flashback to my Star Trek Voyager days**). And yes of course they can be old friends and lovers LOL I just prefer the emphasis on lover - but Cags you're exactly right, it's the opinion of the author.

"Sir" is a perfectly acceptable term given their working relationship. While on duty that's the correct address for a superior officer (even if you see him in his skivvies later on that night LOL). What's great is that she doesn't "sir" him to death anymore.

SO. To sum up my position: Book: not canon. Not concerned. Tongue in cheek. Jack and Sam nekkid... whoa... er... :: cough cough ::

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
      Pol Oh yes I agree on Nemesis / Small Victories. In fact, it is still our EOTW and we haven't done a RT viewing yet? Anyone up for one some time this week? If would be a lovely way to kick of the Shipper rewatch for season 4 too. I promise to add shippy bits from the commentaries too... oh what hardship that shall be!
      Oops, yes, it still is, mostly because I completely forgot to post the next round of voting on Friday So let's extend it through this week and do a viewing How about tonight or tomorrow?
      sigpic
      Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Pol - :: backs up :: Wait. Campfires? What? I think you need to get writing. O.o o.O I've been twiddling my thumbs waiting for more. MORE MORE MORE... :: twitches and falls over :: <--I have a specific image of this in my head but I can't remember what cartoon I saw it on. In my head I make this face and my body goes stiff and I fall over out of view of the camera.

O.o o.O

Er.

Comment

hallo, how's everyone today?

I was wondering if there's any record of this missing dialogue of Sam&Jack from D&C, you know, the force field scene? Maybe someone has the script or something. I'm just dying to find out what they said to each other!

Someone help me!!!
          sigpic

Comment

:: wanders into thread feeling dejected ::

WHY! WHY did I not keep a notebook by my bed??? Last night as I drifted off I had this fantastic idea for my story for how the scene should play out but now it's GONE. GONE I tell you. I'm staring helplessly at my half written scene trying to remember WHAT it was...

:: mutters ::

:: mutter some more ::

Comment

Originally posted by Twilight506 View Post
              :: wanders into thread feeling dejected ::

WHY! WHY did I not keep a notebook by my bed??? Last night as I drifted off I had this fantastic idea for my story for how the scene should play out but now it's GONE. GONE I tell you. I'm staring helplessly at my half written scene trying to remember WHAT it was...

:: mutters ::

:: mutter some more ::
              Oh, too bad, but don't worry, I'm sure it'll come back to you just try a cup of aromatic tea (tested on myself , usually helps). Next time put pencil and paper under your bed I'm keeping fingers crossed for your story Go for it girl!!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kusanagi View Post
                Oh, too bad, but don't worry, I'm sure it'll come back to you just try a cup of aromatic tea (tested on myself , usually helps). Next time put pencil and paper under your bed I'm keeping fingers crossed for your story Go for it girl!!

LOL Thanks, I did come up with another idea which I know is different from what I had before (if I knew what it was I had before), but I think I like the direction. It's the final chapter of a series I'm doing and believe it or not I'm finding it one of the hardest chapters to write. LOL

I love tea - I have a clear teapot and use loose leaf teas.

Y'know... I wonder if Sam would drink tea?

Comment

I don't see it... But Helen does

Comment

Hmmm, i know she drinks coffee, but than again... fly bunny or plot, or whatever they call you
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mis.Understood View Post
                      sorry I'm going very off thread here but I know that here is where the most avid fans are based....can anyone tell me the name of the episode where a gould comes through the stargate who likes to eat...I think he is based on Bacchus/Dionysis but I don't think that is his gould name. Can anyone help as it is driving me mad!
                      His name is Nerus. He first appears in "Beachhead" and then again in "Off the Grid".

Comment

Just because i don't know how to put two quotations in one post
                        I love tea - I have a clear teapot and use loose leaf teas.
                        I looooove tea too. Have some Lady Grey loose leaf as well, my latest discovery. You should try
                        sigpic

Comment

Ah but Helen's English. We are born with intravenous tea drips over here
                          sigpic
                          Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Yes well, that's NORMAL tea LOL - I drink weird tea like Azteca Fire (strawberry, chocolate, chili pepper) or orange tea or jasmine tea...

I would peg her as a regular tea drinker, but maybe something to help put her mind to rest at night before going to bed. Something mild and soothing.

Comment

Originally posted by josiane View Post
                              Ah but Helen's English. We are born with intravenous tea drips over here
                              sigpic

Comment

Speaking of storage closets ... Very cute fic rec. Made me laugh right out loud at a couple of places:

Daydream Believer (post-"Ripple Effect"), by Christi/Literatiwannabe

Comment

Working...
                                X