This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal
    I know what you mean about wishing it ended with season 8. BUT, i'm looking at season 9 as a chance to show us the fruits of sam and jack's labors. threads spoilers
    Spoiler:
    threads brought sam and jack to the final realization of what and who they want, and that they're ready to finally go somewhere with it. i don't think threads/moebius showed that sam and jack are 'together' together as a couple (sleeping together), but i felt it showed them going in that direction. season 9 should show us the beginnings of their relay, even if most of it is one-sided from sam. it's time to show them in a relationship. they've stepped up to the plate, not hit the blasted ball.
    sally
    I wish I had your faith. But I think TPTB left the ending as they did for a reason.
    Spoiler:
    I think that they didn't want to alienate any particular fan base, so in a sense they think they gave us what we wanted, without Jack and Sam actually being together. That way the opposing fan bases can feel the way they want, and believe that Jack and Sam never did get together.
    With RDA only being in a scant few eps, I don't know how tptb would be able to actually accomplish the type of appropriate ending that the shippers would like to see.

Comment

Maybe after a year off RDA will agree to come back if they do a season 10 *Holding onto Hope*
      sigpic

Comment

If RDA was going to be there all season, I don't think they would have let it get to the point it did in S8. I think the fact that he will only appear sporadically in S9 is the key to finally "setting ship!" (Pardon the pun) TPTB won't have to write around the relationship every week.

As to the issue of being wishy-washy in order to avoid alienating different fan bases, I have a question. I'm still new to the fan forums, but don't you think that we shippers are the largest portion of the fan base? I would think it would be a shippers majority.

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
          If RDA was going to be there all season, I don't think they would have let it get to the point it did in S8. I think the fact that he will only appear sporadically in S9 is the key to finally "setting ship!" (Pardon the pun) TPTB won't have to write around the relationship every week.

As to the issue of being wishy-washy in order to avoid alienating different fan bases, I have a question. I'm still new to the fan forums, but don't you think that we shippers are the largest portion of the fan base? I would think it would be a shippers majority.
          Not really. And you can't really judge it by the internet either. After going to a couple of different conventions, everyone is interested in the show for their own personal reasons. There are many different fan bases. Not all like Jack and Sam together, not because of their relationship, but because they like the sci-fi aspect of the show. Many people believe that soaps and sci-fi don't mix, so they would rather not even see it hinted at. I think people would be surprised at how many different things you can find to like about the show (characters and otherwise). The Jack/Sam shippers are just pretty vocal online

Comment

Hey all, just popping in to say

Spacey Awards are up for voting again!! Last year Stargate won for Best Canadian TV Series by I think 60 something % Keep up the tradition! (And maybe skootch in to get RDA one too! Might encourage him to come back for more, hint hint)

http://www.spacecast.com/spaceys05/viewerschoice.asp
            The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
            |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Thanks for the explanation, Kri. I understand. I started watching SG-1 because it was an exceptionally good sci-fi show. But I keep watching with anxious anticipation not only because of that, but because I've become attached to the characters over the years.

Here's what I don't understand about those other fans: No matter what type of fiction it is, characters that aren't allowed to grow, change and react to their experiences become one-dimensional caricatures over time. I have seen some comments online about how the "ship" has ruined Sam's character, but I strongly disagree. In everyone's life, no matter how tough and smart and accomplished you are, there's someone who affects you so much that you turn into a blubbering mass of jelly. I actually think Sam has kept her professionalism well, considering the way Jack affects her. And he's a blubbering mass of jelly behind that stony face. In fact, I don't see how either one of them has managed to keep the facade up for so long!

Seeing characters outside of their "normal" mode makes them richer and more appealing. And I think those who think relationships ruin the show are just close-minded! Ok, that's the end of my opinionated rant!

Comment

I have seen some comments online about how the "ship" has ruined Sam's character, but I strongly disagree. In everyone's life, no matter how tough and smart and accomplished you are, there's someone who affects you so much that you turn into a blubbering mass of jelly. I actually think Sam has kept her professionalism well, considering the way Jack affects her. And he's a blubbering mass of jelly behind that stony face. In fact, I don't see how either one of them has managed to keep the facade up for so long!

Seeing characters outside of their "normal" mode makes them richer and more appealing. And I think those who think relationships ruin the show are just close-minded! Ok, that's the end of my opinionated rant!
                Well put. I think it has only enriched the characters over time. Many people likewise thought that Gemini destroyed Sam's character both for the ship and that she was letting RepliCarter control her. To me, those scenes of of RepliCarter showing 5th torturing her to Sam had an almost abused-woman-vibe coming from them. I thought the way Sam handled both counts was both professional and really got you into the character's head. Very 3-D.

Relationships enrich the show when done well. The writers didn't go "hey, we have these two characters, lets make them pine over each other to get some fans going!" The chemistry was there for quite awhile and they went with it. Now only if they'd give us a resolution to it.
                And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
                Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
                Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
                Daniel: Oh! You see?
                Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

Originally posted by Kri
                  I wish I had your faith. But I think TPTB left the ending as they did for a reason.
                  Spoiler:
                  I think that they didn't want to alienate any particular fan base, so in a sense they think they gave us what we wanted, without Jack and Sam actually being together. That way the opposing fan bases can feel the way they want, and believe that Jack and Sam never did get together.
                  With RDA only being in a scant few eps, I don't know how tptb would be able to actually accomplish the type of appropriate ending that the shippers would like to see.
                  I know what you mean, Kri. If it wasn't for Amanda's latest interview (from the DVD thinger she filmed on the last day of shooting S8), I'd feel more despondent about things. Here's the edited version of what Amanda said regarding S/J ship at the end of S8 and the beginning of S9:

"If this is the end of Stargate, the fans will not be disappointed. If it's not the end, we still have somewhere we can go."

That gives me mucho hope that there's more wonderfulness to come.

Sally
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

I actually don't know if the S/J shippers are the majority. I do know that ship in general is very popular in shows, movies, music, books, real life, etc.

Regarding pleasing fans over the fear of disappointing others... here's a rant of wrote in the pro-s/j thread that fits right here, so I'm going to c/p it over.

girlgater's original post: http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....&postcount=116

my reply: http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....&postcount=120

~~~

spoilers for s7's chimera and s8's affinity

Originally Posted by girlgater
                    I'm very anxious for S9 and I really think that TPTB will give us something--be it a phone call, breif joint appearance between S/J--something. It will have to be tempered (I'm afraid) for the non-shippers in order that it won't upset them too much. I'm not even sure we'll get the honkin' kiss that we've wanted. But, even saying that, I think that it will be made obvious to all the viewers (shipper and non-shipper) that Sam and Jack are together. Frankly, I can't wait for July.

I have a comment to make on the highlighted above sentence, but it's not a rant at you, girlgater.

If S/J ship would be watered down as to not offend the anti shippers... were we given the same privilege with the Sam/Pete scenes in Chimera and the engagement stuff in Affinity? Did they 'worry' about us? How we'd handle seeing something that didn't necessarily offend us but break our hearts? Answer: NOPE.

Sam/Jack isn't some gross couple/concept where the guy is 90 and the girl is barely in her 20s. It's not that they're related in blood, or that they're screwing each other's brains out while they're the cause of ppl dying around them. So why has this simple little couple/concept been treated sometimes like it's some dark secret to only be mentioned behind closed doors? Because we (s/j shippers) have been made to feel that way by not only certain fans, but even some of the ppl making this show. And *everyone* that complains the loudest has their own agendas to not liking it. If it's none of the above 'disreputable' ideas, then it's just personal taste that doesn't make this couple float your boat.

I don't want to hear anymore excuses for them not getting together now. There are NONE. If RDA/Jack's not around, then show/prove they're together in other ways.

I'm sorry for the rant, but it's like we almost have to apologize for being an S/J shipper.

Not this shipper.

rant over.

Sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
                      Hey all, just popping in to say

Spacey Awards are up for voting again!! Last year Stargate won for Best Canadian TV Series by I think 60 something % Keep up the tradition! (And maybe skootch in to get RDA one too! Might encourage him to come back for more, hint hint)

http://www.spacecast.com/spaceys05/viewerschoice.asp
                      thanks for posting the link...just finished voting..I am soo surprise AT was not nominated...voted for RDA of course

Comment

Originally posted by gatebee
                        thanks for posting the link...just finished voting..I am soo surprise AT was not nominated...voted for RDA of course
                        yeah, so was I... she got nominated last year, and I think the year before as well... I think Stargate had quite a few more nominations last year... I don't know, I might be thinking of the wrong awards! Stargate goes up for so many

^^Sam/Jack^^

Comment

Well Stargate deserves all of it and so much more. they should have a category for shippy couples....Sam and Jack forever

Comment

Originally posted by gatebee
                            Well Stargate deserves all of it and so much more. they should have a category for shippy couples....Sam and Jack forever
                            *sigh* Definately no competition there!

^^Sam/Jack^^

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
                              yeah, so was I... she got nominated last year, and I think the year before as well... I think Stargate had quite a few more nominations last year... I don't know, I might be thinking of the wrong awards! Stargate goes up for so many
                              Um...exsqueeze me? Why the frell wasn't AT nominated?!??? (sorry, that's the Farscaper in me peeking out for a moment...)

This is an outrage of the highest level!

Just for their insolence, I'm never going to Canada again.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

you know when staragte is near its end i want to see a hole ep of sam and jacks weddeing it would be funny to see things go wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X