X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best sci fi show of the decade

Hi folks.
    We have had a lot of great sci fi shows this decade and I think it's time name our favorites. I can't list all sci fi shows from the past decade, so you have the shows that I've listed below to choose from. Hopefully I've put all the well known shows on the list. Shows with a premiere date before January 1, 2000 are not eligible to be a part of this, so that's the reason why shows like SG1, Farscape, Doctor Who, and The X-Files aren't on the list.

Alias
    Andromeda
    Battlestar Galactica (Reimagining)
    Chuck
    Lost
    Heroes
    Firefly
    Dark Angel
    Torchwood
    Ghost Whisperer
    Life on Mars (UK)
    Pushing Daisies
    Fringe
    Stargate Atlantis
    Stargate Universe
    Smallville
    The 4400
    Star Trek Enterprise
    Defying Gravity
    V (Reboot)
    FlashForward
    Dollhouse
    Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
    Eureka
    Journeyman

This would probably be a lot easier if it was a poll. Let's just hope that one of those wonderful mods can drop by and make one.
    Alias
    0.00%
    Andromeda
    0.00%
    Battlestar Galactica (re-imagined version)
    14.71%
    Chuck
    0.49%
    Lost
    12.25%
    Heroes
    0.98%
    Firefly
    12.75%
    Dark Angel
    10.29%
    Torchwood
    4.41%
    Ghost Whisperer
    0.00%
    Life on Mars (UK)
    0.49%
    Pushing Daisies
    0.00%
    Fringe
    0.98%
    Stargate Atlantis
    9.80%
    Stargate Universe
    2.94%
    Smallville
    10.29%
    The 4400
    0.98%
    Star Trek Enterprise
    1.96%
    Defying Gravity
    0.00%
    V (Reboot)
    0.49%
    FlashForward
    0.49%
    Dollhouse
    0.00%
    Terminator : The Sarah Connor Chronicles
    15.20%
    Eureka
    0.49%
    Journeyman
    0.00%
    Last edited by EvilSpaceAlien; 08 December 2009, 10:02 AM.
    sigpic

Maybe Farscape even though it came before 2001 I still consider it a show of the new century
    or I would pick Firefly if it had a few more episodes
    but I think scifi was poor overall and as the best series I would pick something non-scifi like The Wire or Sopranos

its been a crap decade, other years were better.
    Atlantis was very hit and miss, some SGA eps were good others were a terrible missfire
    Battlestar is over-rated, vastly over-rated
    V (Reboot) is too young and loses points on originality

Other decades were better for scifi and general tv shows
    You had classics like Babylon-5, South Park, the original Trek, Simpsons/Futurama, DS9, the Batman animated series, original Twilight zone, Twin Peaks.

Comment

Tough call. Gotta be either BSG or Firefly. I think, given more episodes, Firefly could have easily mopped the floor with BSG, but then that just didn't happen
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Well I vote for LOST, cuase it changed the landscape on how shows are made.
        It's always suicide mission this, save the planet that. No one ever just stops by to say "Hi!" any more!
        - Gen. Jack O'Neill

Comment

Firefly hands down. It had the perfect blend of action, drama and comedy all mixed together in a sci-fi setting. It was original and I'd be hard-pressed to find a single bad episode (granted there were only 14 episodes but you get the point)
          sigpic

Comment

No Smallville?

Comment

Bsg
              Stolen Kosovo
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvilSpaceAlien View Post
                Chuck
                Lost
                Ghost Whisperer
                Pushing Daisies

I wouldn't really call these Sci-Fi shows. Ghost Whisperer & Pushing Daisies are more fantasy orientated, whilst Chuck has a sci-fi element, but not real focus on it. Lost is a tough one, sure, there is quite a significant amount of Sci-Fi (in the latter seasons), but it seems more drama/mystery than Sci-Fi really

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
                  I wouldn't really call these Sci-Fi shows. Ghost Whisperer & Pushing Daisies are more fantasy orientated, whilst Chuck has a sci-fi element, but not real focus on it. Lost is a tough one, sure, there is quite a significant amount of Sci-Fi (in the latter seasons), but it seems more drama/mystery than Sci-Fi really
                  Fantasy and sci-fi are basically the same genre. And any fantasy or unreal elements in a show might as well be a sci-fi show.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                    Fantasy and sci-fi are basically the same genre. And any fantasy or unreal elements in a show might as well be a sci-fi show.
                    No, Fantasy & Sci-Fi overlap, but they're distinct sub-genres. Speculative fiction encompases all of them, and more, such as Horror and Alternate History.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                      No Smallville?
                      I must have forgot about that. I'll just go and fix it.
                      sigpic

Comment

Look, we have a poll.

Anyway, my favorite has got to be BSG. It had great acting, plot, visual effects, and many other things that makes it my favorite.

Lost, Alias, The 4400, Journeyman (RIP ), and Torchwood are other shows which very much enjoy(ed) watching, but they are not as good as BSG in my book.

I've been planning on watching Firefly, but I just haven't had the time.
                        sigpic

Comment

Oh, poll probably should've had new Doctor Who, too.
                          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                            Oh, poll probably should've had new Doctor Who, too.
                            Well, what's done is done.
                            And I wasn't sure if I was to include Doctor Who because I wasn't sure if it could be considered as seperate from the old Doctor Who.
                            sigpic

Comment

For me it just has to be Firefly, even though it ended that early. It will always have a special place in my heart!
                              I also like BSG, Dark Angel (also killed by FOX prematurely), Lost and of course SGA.
                              I love Chuck, but I wouldn't count as scifi show, more as a action-adventure comedy
                              sigpic
                              My short movie "Red Bag" / The Scifi Guys Podcast / My Twitter account

Comment

Working...
                              X