Alternate gate dialling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternate gate dialling

In the episode where the group of tollan people are staying in the SGC, they eventually leave to the Nox planet. When they leave, instead of dialing the gate, Lya simply raises her arms to her sides and the event horizon appears. I thought that she had just hid the dialing of the gate and the event horizon prior to this, but the gate is dialled in the same way in 1969 (by Cassandra) and in Small Victories (by Thor). Any ideas for what this is?

Originally posted by Badhron View Post
    In the episode where the group of tollan people are staying in the SGC, they eventually leave to the Nox planet. When they leave, instead of dialing the gate, Lya simply raises her arms to her sides and the event horizon appears. I thought that she had just hid the dialing of the gate and the event horizon prior to this, but the gate is dialled in the same way in 1969 (by Cassandra) and in Small Victories (by Thor). Any ideas for what this is?

Yes, the staff made a mistake. No everyone is a genius like me or you. Anyway. Try to stay and focus on something more creative like building your own ZPM or something

Comment

Originally posted by KaiLynn View Post
      Yes, the staff made a mistake. No everyone is a genius like me or you. Anyway. Try to stay and focus on something more creative like building your own ZPM or something

no need to be nasty

this is after all the purpose of this forum. if you're gonna critisize us for speculating you really shouldn't be here

as for the seemingly magical dialing it could be a simple preprogramed device that directs the gate to dial one address. that way you dont need the whole dhd program, just enough of it to dial the gate to a single address
      And the meek shall inherit the earth...............but only after the last soldier wills it to them

Comment

I believe that Thor and Cassie were holding something at the time, which gave them the ability to open the wormhole. However, the difference between them and Lya is that Lya is genetically closer to Ascension than Cassie or Thor. Through that, I believe it was through her mind that Lya dialled the gate, though a connection between her mind and the gate, or though a device she had on her that she activated by her mind.
        If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
        Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
        If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
        Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumDragon View Post
          as for the seemingly magical dialing it could be a simple preprogramed device that directs the gate to dial one address. that way you dont need the whole dhd program, just enough of it to dial the gate to a single address
          That seems to make sense. In all the situations getting through the gate quickly was important. (Not so much with Thor, but still a factor)
          Another thing I realized os that each time the address dialled is to the same gate the the most recent incoming wormhole came from.

Comment

That seems to make sense. In all the situations getting through the gate quickly was important. (Not so much with Thor, but still a factor)
            Another thing I realized os that each time the address dialled is to the same gate the the most recent incoming wormhole came from.

a good point but is that by coincidence or design?
            And the meek shall inherit the earth...............but only after the last soldier wills it to them

Comment

a good point but is that by coincidence or design?
              Probably coincidence, but its an excuse for the design. It seems simpler to create a device to open a wormhole in the opposite direction of the one previously coming in than to completely redial the gate.

Comment

as for the remote dialer, didn't Ba'al have one in the movie? but his was "huge" and it had to attach to the gate physicaly

Comment

i think her mind is jsut connected to the device and the device then interfaces with the stargate much like how the SGU devices dial the gate only it is mentally
                  sigpic

Comment

as for the remote dialer, didn't Ba'al have one in the movie? but his was "huge" and it had to attach to the gate physicaly
                    That was different, it was essentially a key pad that would power and dial the gate. With it, the chevrons still had to encode and the splash happened.

Comment

That was different, it was essentially a key pad that would power and dial the gate. With it, the chevrons still had to encode and the splash happened.

*shrug* ok, you got me there

Comment

His was not a remote dialer it was almost like a keypad with the chevron symbols on it so it was almost like a portable DHD. And as i remember it was not that the big it was actually kind of small.
                        sigpic
                        SG-1 is awesome.

Comment

Ba'al's device was probably based on Asgard knowledge, but inferior. Ba'al's technology base is primarily taken from Anubis after his defeat, and Anubis had downloaded all of Thor's knowledge (which is why Anubis and later Ba'al has beaming tech) plus the stuff he retained after half-ascending.

Thus, it was based on the stone Thor used but still had to dial the gate because it was inferior

or something
                          Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind. -Albert Einstein

I'm beginning to realize no one actually reads my posts.

Comment

so the device is like what? Star 69 on a phone? a Dial Back Device (DBD)?
                            sigpicRequiescat in pace Weedle

Comment

We know Ancient technology often has a mental component...it would make sense then that the gate could be mentally activated.

As for the lack of the kawoosh...I've always thought of it as a 'clear any obstruction' device. If the dialer is advanced and knows theres no need for it, then they simply turn it off...especially if they're standing directly in front of the gate like Lya was.

In the series, the advanced races dialed that way...so it seems like a higher control function.
                              Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

Working...
                              X