Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is "Burying" the gate really necessary?

Hey all,

First post on the forums here. I've looked around for any sort of information or even theory and I can't find anything. So let's start having some theoretical fun!

We know that a gate that's been "buried" cannot connect to any other gate - an incoming wormhole will simply not connect, and we assume it cannot dial out either.

But here's a question - what exactly constitutes a "buried" gate? For example, if a gate is buried in dirt or sand, there is technically a bit of air between each grain of sand all over the interior of the gate.

So... What if there's a small pocket of air in whatever material is filling the gate? Would the gate engage? If not, is there a percentage of the gate that has to be filled or buried so that it will not engage, and what is that percentage? Because if the point is that *anything* blocking the gate, at any percentage, stops it from accepting wormhole formation, then you could thread a single fishing line through the hole of the gate if you want all travel to stop, in or out.

And what if it's not the percentage of the area being filled but rather the fact that the stargate can't "cycle" (inside ring can't turn) that matters? That would mean you just put a lock on the gate to stop it and you're done.

What are your thoughts on the matter?

Originally posted by Alterion View Post
    Hey all,

First post on the forums here. I've looked around for any sort of information or even theory and I can't find anything. So let's start having some theoretical fun!

We know that a gate that's been "buried" cannot connect to any other gate - an incoming wormhole will simply not connect, and we assume it cannot dial out either.

But here's a question - what exactly constitutes a "buried" gate? For example, if a gate is buried in dirt or sand, there is technically a bit of air between each grain of sand all over the interior of the gate.

So... What if there's a small pocket of air in whatever material is filling the gate? Would the gate engage? If not, is there a percentage of the gate that has to be filled or buried so that it will not engage, and what is that percentage? Because if the point is that *anything* blocking the gate, at any percentage, stops it from accepting wormhole formation, then you could thread a single fishing line through the hole of the gate if you want all travel to stop, in or out.

And what if it's not the percentage of the area being filled but rather the fact that the stargate can't "cycle" (inside ring can't turn) that matters? That would mean you just put a lock on the gate to stop it and you're done.

What are your thoughts on the matter?
    Something that blocks the event horizon from forming. Whether that be a 100 tons of dirt, or a simple piece of metal.
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
    Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

its simple really goes by a formulae

(DP^2)/pi

Where D is the number deus ex machias that episode and P is the speed of plot

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

right on the money ed!

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post

(DP^2)/pi

Where D is the number deus ex machias that episode and P is the speed of plot
          And pi, because it was mentioned in the show.
          If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post

(DP^2)/pi

Where D is the number deus ex machinas that episode and P is the speed of plot
            Shouldn't it be R (radius)? There on your equation? The nomeclature is wrong. A simple metal or even cardbox Iris placed exactly where the event horizon form is enough to in utilize the gate. But buriyng in dirt is the easiest way do do so.
            sigpic
            - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

the inner side of the ring forms the EH. a strip of metal or cardbox, placed there stops the EH.

burying is not nessecary. merely uploading a virus(Avenger2.0) or changing the programming suffices (AIR)

Comment

moving the iris a few microns(as stated by carter) will effectively bury the gate.
                http://epsilon.astroempires.com/?ref=E.94116

Comment

So if a planet wants to take a break from receiving Jaffa warriors and Goa'uld fake gods on your world, all you have to do is... throw a rope through it?

Somehow, I don't think that's canon.

Comment

throw a rope????

no, you just topple it over, and fill the centre with mud. you can see the actual gate, but where normally the EH is, is now mud. so, you can not be dialled

Comment

Originally posted by Alterion View Post
                      So if a planet wants to take a break from receiving Jaffa warriors and Goa'uld fake gods on your world, all you have to do is... throw a rope through it?

Somehow, I don't think that's canon.
                      We don't know exactly how much matter you need in there to stop an event horizon from forming. It might depend on how solid it is, how hard it is to move it out of the way, and the quantity of matter.

But, yes, a way to "emergency bury" a gate, whatever it takes, would have been very useful in a number of episodes. Sokar's iris destroyer could have been defeated (but so would hooking up the beta gate--it would have given them the opportunity to spread the attack over two gates).

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                        throw a rope????

no, you just topple it over, and fill the centre with mud. you can see the actual gate, but where normally the EH is, is now mud. so, you can not be dialled
                        Heck, don't even fill it with anything, just knock it over and watch Jaffa fall back through the active gate. You could even make a drinking game out of it, take a shot each time a Jaffa gets fried.
                        All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                          the inner side of the ring forms the EH. a strip of metal or cardbox, placed there stops the EH.

burying is not nessecary. merely uploading a virus(Avenger2.0) or changing the programming suffices (AIR)
                          Burying is often done for two reason one is obviously looking the gate and two effectively to forget the past that the gate symbolized, torture, murder and slavery in the hands of your ex-god.
                          sigpic
                          - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                            Heck, don't even fill it with anything, just knock it over and watch Jaffa fall back through the active gate. You could even make a drinking game out of it, take a shot each time a Jaffa gets fried.
                            how about dig a 50 foot deep pit and lower gate into it. that way incase any jaffa do make it out they'll just be trapped until the next incomig worm hole then zap.
                            sigpicRequiescat in pace Weedle

Comment

I think it might actually even depend on the density of the stuff blocking the gate as well. Remember, the gate on one world was knocked over, facing down. Death Knell, I believe. The kawoosh made a hole in the mud, and O'Neill and Teal'c had room to fall in.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X