Zero Point Module - ZPM - Calculations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zero Point Module - ZPM - Calculations?

As far as I remember, when SGC crew with Weir "on top" came into Atlantis, they found out, the ZPM's were depleted almost completely. Can we predict the amout of the energy produced by the ZPM itself?

Is is true, that almost depleted ZPM can survive for years with shields powered on, but only 24 hours with all the light on?

Is it possible, that the Atlanteum shield is working on the same basis like the "naquadah" gate, so that there is some mechanism accumulating energy, as seen in the episode with Koyla overtaking Atlantis.

some suggestions, answers, ideas, helpful thoughts?

I'm confused and curious.

ZPM calcs vary from 10^28 joules total capacity (Rising) to 10^40 (Trinity) and inbetween. i think the most likely is about 10^35 or something, fitting with the ability to annihilate a planet (10^33 joules needed)

also, total drain capacity is 2% per second, so about 10^33 joules per second

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
      ZPM calcs vary from 10^28 joules total capacity (Rising) to 10^40 (Trinity) and inbetween. i think the most likely is about 10^35 or something, fitting with the ability to annihilate a planet (10^33 joules needed)

also, total drain capacity is 2% per second, so about 10^33 joules per second
      You enlighted me with those most accurate predictions

Could you enlighten me more and give some extra how to calculate it into something more .... basic to me? Like our sun energy per second?

Comment

Originally posted by KaiLynn View Post
        You enlighted me with those most accurate predictions

Could you enlighten me more and give some extra how to calculate it into something more .... basic to me? Like our sun energy per second?
        The suns energy per second is its luminosity and is about 3.8x10^26 Watts per second which translates to 3.8x10^26 Joules per second.
        Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Ok, so I'm confused as to how anyone can calculate the output of a fictional energy holding device. The only things we can say are relative to other fictional things within the show, such as # of Hive ship energy shots it takes to deplete the shield.

You could compare it by measuring the amount of energy its consumers (devices that use the energy) use; but those, too, are fictional.

Could someone explain this to me?

EDIT: Nevermind. It was explained to me in another thread.
          Last edited by AVFan; 26 November 2009, 02:31 PM.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

combine the things we know and take educated guesses and we can pin it down relatively good. ZPM power currently has differences up to a factor trillion or more.

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
              The suns energy per second is its luminosity and is about 3.8x10^26 Watts per second which translates to 3.8x10^26 Joules per second.
              Your correct in every regard save one. Watts per second is kind of redundant as a Watt is already 1 Joule per second. But that is nitpicking. Would you mind reminding me of where 10^40 comes from? I don't recall hard numbers in Trinity.
              My Tep senses are tingling.

That I will have to edit is assumed.

Comments and critiques are always welcome. Please, tell me what you think.

Comment

Yeah, that made it ... easier for a laic like me .) I meant a really basic, maybe stupid even answer just for me. Like: a half of the Sun, a one thousand, cause I'm not sure I can see it clear enough =D

Comment

Originally posted by AVFan View Post
                  Ok, so I'm confused as to how anyone can calculate the output of a fictional energy holding device. The only things we can say are relative to other fictional things within the show, such as # of Hive ship energy shots it takes to deplete the shield.

You could compare it by measuring the amount of energy its consumers (devices that use the energy) use; but those, too, are fictional.

Could someone explain this to me?

EDIT: Nevermind. It was explained to me in another thread.
                  Because the impact of the conventional Wraith energy weapons can be guessed by the damage and heat itself, and the impact on the shield and the differences can be measured on the display

Comment

So it seams our Sun could hit the Atlanteum more than 10.000.000 times and we ould still say: "we will survive" ;?

For sure, the Sun's energy is the only true constant, so the maximum reasonable and radiation manageable energy is about 100 bomb used to mislead the Wraith, noy yhat I'm not believin that someone could "faint" like McKay on the touchy shield deactivation button for a good example )
                    Last edited by KaiLynn; 27 November 2009, 01:55 PM. Reason: forgot to cut the small damn pics ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Exthalion View Post
                      Your correct in every regard save one. Watts per second is kind of redundant as a Watt is already 1 Joule per second. But that is nitpicking. Would you mind reminding me of where 10^40 comes from? I don't recall hard numbers in Trinity.
                      It requires a bit of gymnastic but here's the summary:
                      The Arcturus reactor vaporized an entire planet and destroyed 5/6 of a system of unknown size. That easily takes supernova levels of energy, which is more like e44 J.

That reactor built up energy, when working at 50%, over a couple dozen minutes, perhaps twenty to thirty if you really enjoying molesting credibility.

That reactor, at 50%, was said to have the power (not energy) output of 12 ZPMs precisely.

All the planet busting levels of energy are confirmed again and again. For example, last case, Air part I (SGU). The core powering the gate to dial out of the galaxy went critical. We know it takes ZPM levels of power to do such a thing, and well, when the reactor blew up, it vaporized the planet.

Another power figure coming from the episode The Return, with the Tria traveling to 0.999c and perhaps more, and decelerating at 23 gees... from the perspective of the people on the Daedalus. Which, with time dilation, brings the power output to slow down that fast at e21~22 watts.
                      If taken over one second only, thus e21~e22 J, that's roughly a hundredth of the energy that made the Chicxulub crater, which was estimated at 100 teratons.
                      And the ZPM was never said to be taxed by that feat to any notable extent, as it had plenty of juice left.

If that wasn't mad enough, the fact that it comes from the power source the size of a rugby ball just finishes pulling your jaw down.
                      The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

So it seams our Sun could hit the Atlanteum more than 10.000.000 times and we ould still say: "we will survive" ;?
                        nope. it could fly into the sun and survive 10 000 000 seconds.

Comment

nope. it could fly into the sun and survive 10 000 000 seconds.
                          Only 117 days in the Sun corona ... tiny, there must be some miscalculation when it comes for energy. We meant one ZPM output or 3?

Comment

i think the most likely is about 10^35
                            That would put ZPM at roughly 10^18kg - mass of a small moon.

Yes, of all bad physics in Stargate, ZPMs bother me the most.
                            MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

Originally posted by K^2 View Post
                              Yes, of all bad physics in Stargate, ZPMs bother me the most.
                              ZPM are marginally credible are nothing compared to other sci-fi power sources. IMO is Star Trek antimatter not that antimatter does not exist its that a a bottle sized canister of it hold by Kim is able to blow up a moon. That streches credibility more than the ZPM that might be true and the canister is obviously a lie.

Comment

Working...
                              X